Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling Everyone Doing Or Planning On Doing Postgraduate Medicine..! Watch

ReputationRep:
    what undergraduate degree did you go?

did you have to get a first?

how competitive is it to get in compared to when you apply from sixth form?

is it true the interview is 40 odd minutes?

id really appreciate your help guys..!

ReputationRep:
    cant u check the interview on the prospectus and stuff?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's a graduate degree, not a postgraduate degree - so the content on this subject is in the medicine forum, where I'm moving this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Graduate entry medicine is still an undergraduate degree (i.e. MBBS or equiv), it's only open to graduates however.

Postgraduate medicine (e.g. MD) is only open to those who already have an undergraduate medical degree.

As for your questions:

Do something you'll enjoy and you think you'll do well in.

You do not need a first, most places want a 2:i.

It is more competitive than when you applied during 6th form. That's why you shouldn't apply to four graduate entry courses, apply to some standard entry (5 year) courses too.

Interview times vary from place to place. Forty minutes seems a bit much however.

ReputationRep:
    My interviews were 40 odd minutes for non GEP.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the interviews arent that long ill be risking it and applying to 4 GEM as if im going to do the 5 year I want a Gap year to save some money up 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Graduate entry medicine is still an undergraduate degree (i.e. MBBS or equiv), it's only open to graduates however.

Postgraduate medicine (e.g. MD) is only open to those who already have an undergraduate medical degree.

As for your questions:

Do something you'll enjoy and you think you'll do well in.

You do not need a first, most places want a 2:i.

It is more competitive than when you applied during 6th form. That's why you shouldn't apply to four graduate entry courses, apply to some standard entry (5 year) courses too.

Interview times vary from place to place. Forty minutes seems a bit much however.
    40 minutes a bit much? some of the interviews i had for engineering were longer than 40 minutes. 40 minutes isnt actually that long

ReputationRep:
    Im looking to do this after biomed degree in a few yrs. good idea?

ReputationRep:
    - I did biomedical science (not to get into med, but because i liked the sound of it!)

- you dont need a 1st, a 2.1 (and sometimes a 2.2) is sufficient, however if you want to work your socks off for a 1st then good for you.

- apparently, it is more competitive to get in as a graduate. but i had no trouble! i'd say that if you have what the universities are looking for then you stand a good chance.

- both my interviews were over 40 minutes and they werent bad at all, time went really quickly.

- one thing that is really important (moreso for graduate applicants than school leavers) is work experience, make sure you have some and make sure you can talk about it at interviews (not just listing what you've done but talking about what you learned - be reflective!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazkhan)
    Im looking to do this after biomed degree in a few yrs. good idea?
    Only if you really want to do biomed. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Only if you really want to do biomed.
    ill second that doing a biomed degree knowing you just want to do medicine is torture

ReputationRep:
    My dundee interview was 70 minutes; 10 stations each with a duration of 7 minutes. That is a 5 year course too. Interview time really doesn't correlate with GEPs in comparison to standard 5 - 6 year courses.

Also, Democracy is right. You should in most cases do something you enjoy studying otherwise you'll find obtaining a 2.1 will be very hard and boring.

In terms of competition, go with A levels rather than with a degree.

ReputationRep:
    no im actually keen on biomed... jus want a realli good job and medicine seems the obvious. and i really wanna to medicine too

ReputationRep:
    no im actually keen on biomed... jus want a realli good job and medicine seems the obvious. and i really wanna to medicine too
    Medicine is a **** job - you have no idea how much I hurt.

ReputationRep:
    whys that? every1 that i have hear from who has done or doin medicine loves it? ill be intregued to know why you think this!

ReputationRep:
    whys that? every1 that i have hear from who has done or doin medicine loves it? ill be intregued to know why you think this!
    Rest assured that I have heard from more people who have done medicine than you.

The job is difficult, stressful, long, tiring, bullying and intimidation is rife. You have less control over where you work and what job you get, you almost never get any choice in who you work for and where exactly you work. Your work will be unappreciated and essentially unnoticed - that is until you make a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, there is some satisfaction to be found in medicine, but it's not what any realistic person would describe as a 'good' job.

ReputationRep:
    basically ive done a year of biological sciences at uni of leicester, which ive enjoyed..and obtained a firat at the end of my first year. but now i have two options..either transfer to pharmacy at dmu, which have accepted me, or continue on and go on for medicine. medicine is what i want to do, but im scared that after doing the three years i wont get in and will be stuck with some kind of lab job i dont enjoy, whereas pharmacy is more stable in the sense im practically guaranteed a job. what do people think i should do?

ReputationRep:
    Well i have just finished my anatomy degree and got a 2.1

I really enjoyed my degree and am applying this year for medicine (while im doing a 1 yr A level chemistry. I did my degree at queens belfast and really hope i get in there for the 5 year course. I dont hold much hope for any othe uni as my academic credentials are poor only 2 A's at gcse and 545 ukcat.

I think grads are scrutinised more for experience but on the whole they are more respected and appreciated than school leavers. I know the post grad dean at queens is keen on grads entering medicine so heres hoping lol.

A lot of my friends this year applied last yr and got an interview and a place for 09 entry. Queens is wierd in that it only interviews grads and not school leavers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewinder959)
    I know the post grad dean at queens is keen on grads entering medicine so heres hoping lol.
    Post-graduate dean or dean for graduate entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Post-graduate dean or dean for graduate entry?
    The Post graduate Dean in the medical school as far as i know. Was told this by a few of my lecturers during my anatomy studentship last summer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.