Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm going to uni in september doing Computer Games Programming, where i will be learning C# in the first year then C++ after that. The course is 3 years of studying with 1 year placement in between.

Now, where is a good work placement to go? I'm looking for a place that i could prefarbly get a job at after it, or atleast it be funnish and good experience.

ty

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know it's early. the university do help but just wonna make sure i get in some where and hopefully get a job cos its hard to find good jobs cos of the recession. ty

ReputationRep:
    My friend worked in a computer hardware store for a week, hes doing CompSci at Warwick in October.

ReputationRep:
    After you've done your first year, you'll probably know more about what it is that interests you most. Bear in mind that there is more to the games industry than just the people writing the games themselves. There's an army of people working on tools and middleware for the major platform holders as well as independant companies. Here's me, for example:

http://snsys.com/careers/QA-Greg_B.asp

I think we took our first placement student because he wrote a letter rather than us actually having a scheme in place (I might be wrong on that point). He spent a year with us before going off to do his final year at uni, but he has just rejoined us full time, so it's worth sending out CVs and covering to the HR departments of places that interest you, even if they don't offer any sort of official placement scheme.

Go and work hard on your course and work out where your specific interests and skills lie.

Now I've outed myself, I should probably add a disclaimer to say that the views and opinions expressed by me are entirely my own and do not necessary reflect any views held by my employers, related companies, etc etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gregmantis)
    After you've done your first year, you'll probably know more about what it is that interests you most. Bear in mind that there is more to the games industry than just the people writing the games themselves. There's an army of people working on tools and middleware for the major platform holders as well as independant companies. Here's me, for example:

http://snsys.com/careers/QA-Greg_B.asp

I think we took our first placement student because he wrote a letter rather than us actually having a scheme in place (I might be wrong on that point). He spent a year with us before going off to do his final year at uni, but he has just rejoined us full time, so it's worth sending out CVs and covering to the HR departments of places that interest you, even if they don't offer any sort of official placement scheme.

Go and work hard on your course and work out where your specific interests and skills lie.

Now I've outed myself, I should probably add a disclaimer to say that the views and opinions expressed by me are entirely my own and do not necessary reflect any views held by my employers, related companies, etc etc etc...
    Good to see an experienced person from the industry here on TSR (makes a change ;D).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.