Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

feel like a loser cuz i havent learned to drive Watch

i have just turned 20 and havent even learned to drive. i feel angry with myself for not learning because everyone else is driving and i havent even had one lesson. are there others out there who arent driving?
    im going to uni and dont wanna learn in an unfamiliar city so ill probably only get occasional lessons which could mean it will take years. i could have done this by now in sixth form if i hadnt been so lazy

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and haven't learnt to drive yet. At times I've regretted it but I wouldn't have been able to have a car at uni anyway so I would have been paying tax and insurance for no particular reason. I'm going to take lessons next summer and recap them in the holidays before taking my test I think.

ReputationRep:
    I am 20 and I haven't learned to drive.. I don't really regret it because I live in London and mega close to a tube station .. and it is so easy to get around London without a car.

I think I may start to learn after Uni.. Once I have a job. and am settled.

The reason I haven't learned is because I am really scared to get behind a wheel of a car lol.. I am hoping to over come my fears one day

ReputationRep:
    meh, im 20 and failed my driving test when i was 18 after coming back from uni for the summer, since then ive had neither the time or the inclination or the cash to learn to drive, it doesnt bother me.

Its not essential and if it does become essential its not like learning to drive is that difficult, its just expensive more than anything else

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't really matter that you're older and haven't learnt to drive yet. If you really need to learn and want to do so whilst at home many instructors offer intensive learning courses where you learn and then take your test in a short space of time e.g two weeks. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you fail tbf.

Sort it out... driving IS the most important thing in the world.

ReputationRep:
    you should do, you non drivers clog up the roads with your bikes, and halt traffic to a stand still because of your zebra crossings, get on the road or stay at home. joking, i feel guilty i'm contributing to global warming, which has made ingerland colder.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people havent learnt to drive at 20, you're certainly not a loser. I dont see the problem with learning to drive in an unfamiliar city though, even if you're learning in your hometown I think instructors often take you out to quieter housing estates etc to start off, so you probably wouldnt know the place you were driving around anyway.
    Having occasional lessons seems the worst of both worlds really, because you would still have to drive in your uni city but you would get rusty between lessons and have to almost start again. Why not just bite the bullet and learn properly at uni, or wait till the long summer break or after uni and do it in your hometown>

ReputationRep:
    Ride a motorbike instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Acky)
    you should do, you non drivers clog up the roads with your bikes, and halt traffic to a stand still because of your zebra crossings, get on the road or stay at home. joking, i feel guilty i'm contributing to global warming, which has made ingerland colder.
    I don't clog the road with my bike.. because I can't ride one lol :p: I have no balance at all... Although I do halt traffic at zebra crossings .. sowwie :o:

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people who didn't learn during A levels are finding it harder to find time during uni to learn to drive. Also a lack of a need to drive whilst at uni perpetuates this

ReputationRep:
    maybe u should find stats to see the average age people first learn to drive and u may not feel that bad

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it's bad at all. I don't intend on learning to drive at all unless it becomes absolutely essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli2ab3th)
    I don't clog the road with my bike.. because I can't ride one lol :p: I have no balance at all... Although I do halt traffic at zebra crossings .. sowwie :o:
    haha i think you should learn to ride the bike, you dont know what your missing.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I am 17 and am the oldest in my year (Birthday -- 18th Oct). People question me and ask why I havn't started to drive, yet younger people have passed.

I personally don't find the great attraction to it at the moment as I couldnt afford insurance anyway. I don't believe that it is essential at the moment, and CBA.

If anyone wants to tell me why its so essential to drive at this age, please go ahead. I just can't understand it.

BTW I Love the idea, just not at the moment... I'm quite lazy though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 and still can't drive. Live on the same road as a tube station so have never needed to so didn't push myself.

I'm learning in my uni town. It's a good way to get to know it. If you want to do it that badly then just get on with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have just turned 20 and havent even learned to drive. i feel angry with myself for not learning because everyone else is driving and i havent even had one lesson. are there others out there who arent driving?
    im going to uni and dont wanna learn in an unfamiliar city so ill probably only get occasional lessons which could mean it will take years. i could have done this by now in sixth form if i hadnt been so lazy
    if your a man what sort of man are you, get up off your ******* and stop pussyfooting around however if your a female i think you should not worry, you got time.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't start learning until I turned 21. I had quite bad social anxiety and didn't want to sit in a car with a stranger. All my friends had learnt and passed and I felt like they were out living their lives and I was stuck at home. Then I got my job, slowly started overcoming my anxiety and started learning.

It's not too late you know, I might have a slightly different reason to you but the point still stands. Just go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I have actually just started feeling like this recently, not so much that I feel like a "loser" I guess, but because now all of my friends have passed their test and I haven't even had one lesson I just feel a tad left out. To be fair though, they all had the incentive of knowing that when they passed they would have a car ... no such luck for me, haha.

Driving itself though isn't a high priority for me. I can't afford the lessons and the insurance, it isn't a necessity for me to be able to drive at home and even if I could afford a car I wouldn't be taking it to uni. I was going to start having lessons this summer but I just didn't get around to it fast enough, and whilst now I am concerned that the time available to me to learn to drive won't be as great I know there are options such as, as already mentioned, intensive courses.

You are not a loser, it is far from being too late for you to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Im 22 and still havnt learnt to drive, just havnt had the time nor need. The amount of money ive saved must be huge. Ive never found it to be a real problem.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.