Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

feel like a loser cuz i havent learned to drive watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and haven't taken my test yet. I can drive but my theory runs out in 2 days lol.
    I'm not fussed. I can't afford to maintain a car nor pay for insurance so there's not much point. You can learn to drive at any age.

My sister's 26 and doesn't have a driving license either. Nor does her other half who's 25.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that big a deal for God's sake...

Only 'driven' once. Dad's car... straight into the side of a lamp post. :o:

ReputationRep:
    No pink driving licence = no poon, I'm afraid. You will die a lonely death.

ReputationRep:
    20 is fine, lots of people still can't drive at that age :yes: It's not unknown that people wait until after university to begin learning.

I'd start asap though. Once you get into your late 20's/early 30's, I bet it's intimidating and embarrassing to learn when most people learning will be much younger, especially if it's down to your own laziness.

I thought I started learning late when I was well over 17 and a half!

ReputationRep:
    What is there to do but to actually learn to drive? Instead of finding excuses, get a theory exercise book, learn the theory, learn the practice, apply for the tests and get the licence.

But honestly, if you wanted to, you would've done it long ago. It shouldn't be our business cheering you up and motivating you on something so basic like getting a driving licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Acky)
    haha i think you should learn to ride the bike, you dont know what your missing.
    Hmmmm grazed knees... no thank you lol :p:
    Can a person that has no balance and can't ride a bicycle .. ride a motor bike or moped .. or would they topple of that too? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Chances of you driving while at university are next to zero anyway, even if you have the ability to drive.

ReputationRep:
    man i cant wait till im 17. im just gonna be going anywhere in this little banger my dad got me, driving to places for no real reason.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? :curious:
    I'll never learn to drive because I don't want/need to ******* drive, there are other methods of transportation nowadays. So stop crying about not being able to drive or go find a way to solve your problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Im 22 and still havnt learnt to drive, just havnt had the time nor need. The amount of money ive saved must be huge. Ive never found it to be a real problem.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    Are you serious? :curious:
    I'll never learn to drive because I don't want/need to ******* drive, there are other methods of transportation nowadays. So stop crying about not being able to drive or go find a way to solve your problem!
    You Sure :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have just turned 20 and havent even learned to drive. i feel angry with myself for not learning because everyone else is driving and i havent even had one lesson. are there others out there who arent driving?
    im going to uni and dont wanna learn in an unfamiliar city so ill probably only get occasional lessons which could mean it will take years. i could have done this by now in sixth form if i hadnt been so lazy
    This is what I don't get. What would happen if you needed to drive to an 'unfamiliar city' some time after you passed your test? Would you be unable to drive at all? Passing your test means you should be able to drive anywhere, on any road in england, not just in the city/town you took your test in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    You Sure :rolleyes:
    :hmmm:
    As sure as your mom was when she ****** me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli2ab3th)
    Hmmmm grazed knees... no thank you lol :p:
    Can a person that has no balance and can't ride a bicycle .. ride a motor bike or moped .. or would they topple of that too? :rolleyes:
    haha i would advise you not to even attempt to ride a motor bike or moped before you master the push bike, that is the fundamental base. i say give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    :hmmm:
    As sure as your mom was when she ****** me!
    Ouch...Moody...that time of the month ay :yes:

I'll step back before i cause any more problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Acky)
    haha i would advise you not to even attempt to ride a motor bike or moped before you master the push bike, that is the fundamental base. i say give it a go.
    I tried and failed through out my childhood and falling off hurt back then.. and I am sure now I am older and because I have further to fall it will hurt a lot more. lol

I am sure my knees are disfigured because of all the falling off my bike :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have just turned 20 and havent even learned to drive. i feel angry with myself for not learning because everyone else is driving and i havent even had one lesson. are there others out there who arent driving?
    im going to uni and dont wanna learn in an unfamiliar city so ill probably only get occasional lessons which could mean it will take years. i could have done this by now in sixth form if i hadnt been so lazy
    i started learning and passed at 17 fortunately :cool:

but dont worry, there are people a lot older than you who havent learnt to drive. some people do it in their 60's! lol

i admit though life is a lot easier when you can drive, in my opinion

but do it when you have some more time

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 21 and still haven't learnt yet, i had lessons, and took my test in may, last year, but failed and haven't had lessons since so it's nothing to be worried about

ReputationRep:
    My opinion on this is split. I do not know which category you will fall into but you will

My first opinion is on those people who have never even contemplated driving, are 19/20 are still completely dependant on those around them. If your nearly 19 and still relying on your parents to drive you to a party, or take you into town, then this in my eyes is just lazy. Some people may palm the reason off on finance, and be one of those people who works 10-12 hours a week, but never has any money to do anything. You know the type I mean - we all know at least one person who fits into this category.

The second is not as harsh. As someone has already said, if you live somewhere like London then driving might not be crucial. If you can get yourself from A to B without depending on others (i.e. competent enough to go on the tube) then its standable. If you don't think your life would be too much different from driving, then there is not a lot of reason to do it. As well, some people may have genuine financing issues with it. I realise it isn't cheap.

It all comes down to you. If you are still dependent on others, the the harsh reality is your feelings may be justified. If you can get yourself around regardless (some think pedal power is much better ) then don't beat yourself up. The only important thing to remember is that some point in the future you are going to need to drive. For a career, to visit people, for holidays, for whatever - it is pretty impossible to go through modern life not being able to drive.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, it's not that big a deal.
    My boyfriend is 19 and still hasn't learned, same with my best friend - they don't need to though, so what's the fuss?
    If you don't need it at the moment then don't feel bad about it. It's one expense you'll be free of at Uni anyway.
    It's not exactly a certificate of self-worth or anything, it's just a practicality.
    I have a licence but there's no way in hell I could afford a car at Uni so I don't bother with it.
    It's nice to know I've got the licence for when I need it but really, it's not that big a deal. Just learn after Uni, or start at the beginning of one set of summer holidays, or just have the occasional lessons...?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.