Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I thought some of you might enjoy having a go at the A Level Special Paper from 1970. This was the equivalent of the AEA and was designed for the top 15% of A Level candidates. You had to answer 8 questions out of 10 in 3 hours.

Attachment 74642

Attachment 74643

Attachment 74644

Attachment 74645

Attachment 74646

thank you Mr M. where did you find these?!?! they're so difficult, makes me realise how lucky i am to be sitting maths nowadays! :p:

did you sit these ones back in the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj193)
    a)
    e^x >/= x+1
    sketch y=x+1
    sketch y=e^x
    intercept at (0,1) since e^0 = 0+1
    for x<0 d(e^x)/dx < 1 hence for all x<0 e^x is always grater than y=x+1
    for x>0 d(e^x)/dx >1 hence for all x>0 e^x is always greater than y=x+1

don't know if it counts as proof...?
    same idea for part B)
    but again, will only suffice if my method of 'proof' counts
    A sketch isn't a proof.

(Original post by Anon the 7th)
    thank you Mr M. where did you find these?!?! they're so difficult, makes me realise how lucky i am to be sitting maths nowadays
    To be fair this is sort of meant to be like a sort of STEP and it has been noted that the difficulty level is similar to STEP 2.

ReputationRep:
    And they wonder why more people are getting A's.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    thank you Mr M. where did you find these?!?! they're so difficult, makes me realise how lucky i am to be sitting maths nowadays! :p:

did you sit these ones back in the day?
    I have the other six (count 'em) 1970 A Level papers too. This is the hardest one. Graham at Edexcel has a library of old papers.

I took my A Levels in 1986 and this is more difficult than my papers. I think the time pressure is the problem. I can answer most of the questions but I couldn't knock out 8 good answers in 3 hours!

ReputationRep:
    I have question 1, give me some time to latex it up.

ReputationRep:
    1's ok, as a physicist I must respond to 2.i with "draw the graphs, it's obvious", but it's not that bad to do properly, 2ii ok unless I've made a mistake.

Anyone got a nice method for 2.ii? Think I've got it, but my solution is pretty ugly for what's quite a nice problem.

Not too evil based on those, but definitely harder than current A-level. Obviously you need to compare it to the AEA though, which I can't really comment on since I've only seen one AEA paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I have the other six (count 'em) 1970 A Level papers too. This is the hardest one. Graham at Edexcel has a library of old papers.

I took my A Levels in 1984 and this is more difficult than my papers. I think the time pressure is the problem. I can answer most of the questions but I couldn't knock out 8 good answers in 3 hours!
    jeeze, they must be truly difficult
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    \frac{x^2}{2!}+ \frac{x^3}{3!} +.... \geq 0
    which is obvious because I said so
    For positive values of x it's obvious. Can you prove it for negative values of x?

ReputationRep:
    I might have given this a go 2 months ago, but I think I've forgotten everything! :O xD

It does look quite hard, I reckon I could give it a good go though!

ReputationRep:
    That seems to go up to about the same level as MEI FP2, from my semi-educated comparison...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, this isn't nearly as difficult as I expected. Not sure I'd even say it's harder than the current AEA (although you're expected to know more material).

ReputationRep:
    Okay 2. the correct way
    Spoiler:
    Show
    e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+... \geq x+1
    then
    \frac{x^2}{2!}+ \frac{x^3}{3!} +.... \geq 0(1)
    which is obvious because I said so

Well, when x=0 then 0=0 as required(using (1))

if x>0 then cleary, the sum of positive numbers must be positive (using (1) )

if x<0 use the fact that they intersect at e^x=x+1 (0,0) and gradient of x+1 is 1 and e^x is e^x, which is smaller then 1 for x<0. So as x<0 e^x tends to 0 and x+1 tends to minus infinity.
    So e^x&gt;x+1 when x<0.

So in each case e^x \geq x+1

I haven't done any maths for near-on a month, but a rough go gave me this for 6 (ii):

Spoiler:
    Show
    Because we are contrary, use alternative substitution of x = \cosh ^2 v - 1 (and denote cosh by c and sinh by s).
    Then, leaving sorting out the limits for later:
    \displaystyle \int ^3 _1 \frac{dx}{(x+1)\sqrt{x^2 + x}} = 2 \int \frac{sc dv}{c^2\sqrt{c^4 - c^2}} = 2 \int sech ^2 v \ dv = \frac{s}{c}

When x=3, we have c = 2, s = 3. When x=1, we have c = \sqrt{2}, s = 1.

So applying limits to the integral we computed gives us 3 - \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} = \boxed{3 - \sqrt{2}}
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Incidentally, 2(i) is pretty easy if you do it the right way:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Consider f(x) = e^x - x - 1. Then f'(x) = e^x - 1. We know that f(0) = 0; we also know that e^x > 1 for x > 0 and e^x < 1 for x < 0, so f'(x) > 0 (and so f is increasing) for x > 0 and f'(x) < 0 (and so f is decreasing) for x < 0. So f starts off above the axis, then decreases until it reaches the axis, then increases again, so f(x) >= 0 for all x.

ReputationRep:
    I found this fairly easy :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    A sketch isn't a proof.
    yeah but it's backed up by the fact that they intercept at x=0 and that the gradients are such that e^x 'pulls away above' from y=x+1
    (also Mr M did something similar)

i tried you're method and it's fine for -1< x <0 since |x^n|>|x^(n+1)|
    since 1>|x|
    then for -infinity< x < -1 it looks a complete *****.
    |x^n|<|x^(n+1)| since 1<|x|
    maybe add the second and third (so the first is negative(it's further from the convergence) and hence we'll get an estimate that is weighted closer to the lower end - to be on the safe side), take an average. all 'pairs' are converging about the same average and the average can't be lower. the average is positive.
    trying this:
    (1/3!)*(1/4)*(x(x^3)+4(x^3)) >/= 0 <=> x </= -4
    i can only think that exetending this will eventually get it up to -1. though It's probably assymptotic to -1....

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here goes my attempt at question 1:

the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

The equation we're given is x^3 - 3ax + b = 0, and we introduce a transformation py = x to convert the equation into the form 4y^3 - 3y = c, as this will let us use a substitution  y = cos \theta to solve the equation to give 3 roots (if we use a hyperbolic substitution we can only get 1 root):

(py)^3 - 3a(py) + b = 0

p^3y^3 - 3apy = -b

We want a p such that p^3/3pa = 4/3, and we find that if we define p = 2\sqrt{a} then our desired ends are achieved:

(2\sqrt{a} x)^3 - 3a(2\sqrt{a} x) = -b

or 4y^3 -3y = \dfrac{-b}{2a\sqrt{a}}

In order such that we can use a trigonometric substitution, we require \dfrac{-b}{2a\sqrt{a}} \leq 1, or b^2 &lt; 4a^3. QED

For the second part, let us introduce a linear shift of the form  y - a = x to get rid of that pesky quadratic term:

4(y-a)^3 + 24(y-a)^2 +45 (y-a) + k = 0

Expanding everything out, we find that if we take a=2 then our ends are achieved:

4y^3 -3y + (k-26) = 0

Comparing with our original equation x^3 - 3ax + b = 0 we find that a= 1/4 and b = \frac{k-26}{4}:

\frac{k-26}{4}^2 &lt; 4(\frac{1}{4})^3 and solving this inequality for k gives 25<k<27 (not \leq because at the extreme ends of our interval we get a repeated root and the question asks for 3 roots).

Differentiate the equation, and note that a repeated root is when f'(x) and f(x) both equal zero: 12y^2 - 3 = 0 or y= -1/2, +1/2.

When y= +1/2 is a root, k=27, and (2y-1)^2 is a factor. Dividing it out, we see that the other factor is (y+1), and hence y = 1/2 or -1, and since y-2 = x our roots are x=-3/2 or -3.

When y= -1/2 is a root, k=25, and (2y+1)^2 is a factor. Dividing it out, we see that the other factor is (y-1), and hence y = -1/2 or +1, and since y-2 = x our roots are x=-5/2 or -1.

my method for the first part didn't help with the second :|

also i made a mistake which has now been corrected
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    To be honest, this isn't nearly as difficult as I expected. Not sure I'd even say it's harder than the current AEA (although you're expected to know more material).
    Interestingly, like the current AEA, this exam was supposed to only test the basic A Level knowledge and did not require students to have taken A Level Further Maths. This illustrates how much the A Level core content has reduced over the years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj193)
    yeah but it's backed up by the fact that they intercept at x=0 and that the gradients are such that e^x 'pulls away above' from y=x+1
    (also Mr M did something similar)

i tried you're method and it's fine for -1< x <0 since |x^n|>|x^(n+1)|
    since 1>|x|
    then for -infinity< x < -1 it looks a complete *****.
    |x^n|<|x^(n+1)| since 1<|x|
    maybe add the second and third (so the first is negative(it's further from the convergence) and hence we'll get an estimate that is weighted closer to the lower end - to be on the safe side), take an average. all 'pairs' are converging about the same average and the average can't be lower. the average is positive.
    trying this:
    (1/3!)*(1/4)*(x(x^3)+4(x^3)) >/= 0 <=> x </= -4
    i can only think that exetending this will eventually get it up to -1. though It's probably assymptotic to -1....
    See generalebriety post.

Again, a sketch isn't a proof. Although, looking at gradients is the sane way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Same method for 2(ii) as well (already posted I think).

for the 3rd bit:
    Spoiler:
    Show

9 = (a+b+c)^2 = a^2+b^2+c^2 + 2(ab+bc+ca), so a^2+b^2+c^2 \leq 9 (since a,b,c positive). Since we obtain equality with a = 3, b=c=0, 9 is the maximum range.

and

(a-b)^2+(b-c)^2+(c-a)^2 = 2(a^2+b^2+c^2) - 2(ab+bc+ca)

= 3(a^2+b^2+c^2) - (a+b+c)^2.

So  3(a^2+b^2+c^2) \ge (a+b+c)^2 = 9, so (a^2+b^2+c^2) \geq 3. Since we have equality with a = b = c = 1, 3 is the minimum value.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.