Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if it was standard to do all the papers? They seem to equate roughly to "Paper 1/3" = Maths, "Paper 2/4" = Further Maths.

Certainly brutal compared with todays exams though.

Edit: Oops - missed that you'd posted FM ones as well...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Do you know if it was standard to do all the papers? They seem to equate roughly to "Paper 1/3" = Maths, "Paper 2/4" = Further Maths.

Certainly brutal compared with todays exams though.

Edit: Oops - missed that you'd posted FM ones as well...
    I think these were 3 separate qualifications, Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics (Mechanics might have been a better title!) and Further Mathematics.

Later on, you were able to mix and match (do two papers out of four) and attain qualifications such as A Level Mathematics (Pure & Applied) but I suspect this wasn't the case then.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    those normal a-level ones don't look too bad, but certainly much harder than now and you need some degree stuff to answer some of them.

though this may be interesting, it's gcse (o-level) so shouldn't be too taxing, but some of the geometry ones are difficult just because it is taught very little now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...athematics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Ok, here goes my attempt:

the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

The equation we're given is , and we introduce a transformation to convert the equation into the form , as this will let us use a substitution to solve the equation to give 3 roots (if we use a hyperbolic substitution we can only get 1 root):

We want a p such that , and we find that if we define then our desired ends are achieved:

or

In order such that we can use a trigonometric substitution, we require , or . QED

For the second part, let us introduce a linear shift of the form to get rid of that pesky quadratic term:

Expanding everything out, we find that if we take a=2 then our ends are achieved:

Comparing with our original equation we find that a= 1/4 and b = k-2:

and solving this inequality for k gives 1<k<3 (not because at the extreme ends of our interval we get a repeated root and the question asks for 3 roots).

Differentiate the equation, and note that a repeated root is when f'(x) and f(x) both equal zero: or y= -1/2, +1/2.

When y= +1/2 is a root, k=3, and is a factor. Dividing it out, we see that the other factor is (y+1), and hence y = 1/2 or -1, and since y-2 = x our roots are x=-3/2 or -3.

When y= -1/2 is a root, k=1, and is a factor. Dividing it out, we see that the other factor is (y-1), and hence y = -1/2 or +1, and since y-2 = x our roots are x=-5/2 or -1.

my method for the first part didn't help with the second :|
    There is a much simpler way!

Spoiler:
    Show
    f(x)=x^3-3ax+b\newline f'(x)=3(x^2-a) \Rightarrow \mathrm{turning\ points\ are\ at\ }\pm\sqrt a\newline\mathrm{a\ sketch\ shows\ that\ for\ 3\ real\ roots,\ } \newline f(-\sqrt a)\geq 0 \geq f(\sqrt a)
    Splitting up this inequality leads to the desired result, and the same method can be used for part two!

ReputationRep:
    Is it strange that part of me now wishes I grew up in the 1970s? :rolleyes: Those maths papers just look so much more... fun than we get today... :o:

What's really shocking to me is that there was so much more content in the normal a-level maths back then. How did they fit it all in - were people more intelligent, or was school just loads harder or what?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: I think I love this thread...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    Is it strange that part of me now wishes I grew up in the 1970s? :rolleyes: Those maths papers just look so much more... fun than we get today... :o:

What's really shocking to me is that there was so much more content in the normal a-level maths back then. How did they fit it all in - were people more intelligent, or was school just loads harder or what?
    Much less time wasted due to students fooling around. Hardly any banter or answering back. Just a lot of getting on with it. Remember pupils were coming from a position of having more knowledge already as O Level (taken at age 16) included most of the AS mathematics content.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a 14 year old school leaver could do 100 years ago.

They would also have had a geometry paper but I don't have a copy of that but it would have required sound understanding of Euclid's Elements. Remember no calculator!

Arithmetic and Algebra 1909.pdf

A large proportion of the candidates for this exam would have gone on to die in the First World War.

ReputationRep:
    Q6 (i)
    Let I(t) = \int_0^t \sin x e^{-2x} \,dx = [ -\cos x e^{-2x}]_0^t - 2 \int_0^t \cos x e^{-2x}\,dx

= (1 - \cos t e^{-2t}) - [2 \sin x e^{-2x}]_0^t - 4 \int_0^t \sin x e^{-2x}\,dx

= 1 - (\cos t + 2\sin t)e^{-2t} - 4 I(t)

Deduce I(t) = \frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{5} (\cos t + 2 \sin t}e^{-2t})

Then I(2n\pi) = \frac{1}{5} (1 - e^{-2t}) &lt; \frac{1}{5} and I((2n+1)\pi) = \frac{1}{5} (1+e^{-2t}) &gt; \frac{1}{5} as required.

(ii)
    x=\frac{1}{y-1}.  \frac{dx}{dy} = -\frac{1}{(y-1)^2}.  x=1\implies y=2, \, x=3 \implies y = 4/3

x+1 = \frac{y}{y-1}, x^2+x = (x+1)x = \frac{y}{(y-1)^2}

So the integral becomes \displaystyle \int_{4/3}^2 \frac{1/(y-1)^2}{(y/(y-1)) \sqrt{y/(y-1)^2}}\,dy = \int_{4/3}^2 y^{-3/2}\,dy

So we get \displaystyle [-2 y^{-1/2}]_{4/3}^2 = -2/\sqrt{2} +2 \sqrt{3/4} = \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2}

ReputationRep:
    its not actually THAT much more difficult, questions are just worded a lot differently, style of questions is different

ReputationRep:
    Note: can't face looking at the coord geom questions so if anyone else is feeling brave, go for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3006)
    its not actually THAT much more difficult, questions are just worded a lot differently, style of questions is different
    Not so. These questions provide a lot less guidance, they require a lot more manipulation of (fairly) complex equations, you're expected to do quite complex trig manipulation without guidance, and you're expected to know a lot more material (complex numbers, conic sections, vectors).

Without wanting to cause blushes, it's instructive how many of the posted solutions have actually been incorrect.

[Feel free to prove me wrong by posting solutions to questions 7-10].

ReputationRep:
    I did London A level Pure Maths in 1971. I'd love to see the paper again. Have you got a copy of it you could post here Mr M?

ReputationRep:
    Not so. These questions provide a lot less guidance, they require a lot more manipulation of (fairly) complex equations, you're expected to do quite complex trig manipulation without guidance, and you're expected to know a lot more material (complex numbers, conic sections, vectors).

Without wanting to cause blushes, it's instructive how many of the posted solutions have actually been incorrect.

[Feel free to prove me wrong by posting solutions to questions 7-10].
    I apologise to my generation in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I did my maths A level a year early..and only did further maths at AS level..but some of these questions look famililar..but its been to long since i did any maths...so i'm not even goin to attempt them!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Elemc)
    I did London A level Pure Maths in 1971. I'd love to see the paper again. Have you got a copy of it you could post here Mr M?
    1971 is missing. My next is 1973.

ReputationRep:
    who has done question 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    who has done question 1?
    around: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=37

ReputationRep:
    around: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=37
    cheers, i don't want to click on an unnumbered spoiler, just incase it spoils it for me

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you want something not done yet, there's a distinct lack of sols for Q7-Q10. Q9, Q10 don't look too bad, I confess I'm not really seeing where to start on Q8, and Q7(b) looks horrible. (In my defense, I find coord geometry is one of those things you need to be in practice for to do well).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.