Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a really confusing question, i hope someone can help me.

Basically i've been working full time for three years this september doing 37.5 hours a week. I am returning to college in September to start a HND - so i will be cutting my hours down to 15 hours a week.

What i'm worried about is how much tax will i pay when i'm working 15 hours a week. I've worked out that if i work 15 hours a week and i get roughly £8.44 p/h that is about 506 a month, so i have no idea how much will be deducted.

Thanks so much for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much you have earned already this tax year. IIRC, your first £6,675 is tax free. Then you are taxed 20% onwards till you reach £37,400 where you are taxed 40%. Your pay slip will tell you your earnings to date for this tax year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessa87)
    Hi,

I have a really confusing question, i hope someone can help me.

Basically i've been working full time for three years this september doing 37.5 hours a week. I am returning to college in September to start a HND - so i will be cutting my hours down to 15 hours a week.

What i'm worried about is how much tax will i pay when i'm working 15 hours a week. I've worked out that if i work 15 hours a week and i get roughly £8.44 p/h that is about 506 a month, so i have no idea how much will be deducted.

Thanks so much for any help!!
    The amount of Income Tax you pay is based on your total income in each tax year, so I can't give you an exact answer without details of your income so far this year (from 6 April onwards). However, as a rough estimate, assuming I understand your post correctly:

37.5 hours/week, 6 April - 31 August (approx 5 months) = 37.5*52*(5/12) = 812.5 hours
    15 hours/week, 1 September - 5 April (approx 7 months) = 15*52*(7/12) = 455 hours

Total = 812.5 + 455 = 1,267.5 hours
    At £8.44 per hour, that gives total annual income of about £10,700.

You then deduct your annual tax-free personal allowance from this (£6,475 for most people), to give taxable income of £4,225. Basic rate income tax on this at 20% would then be £845 for the year. Given that your earnings won't be constant over the year, neither will the amount of the Income Tax deductions.

You'll also have National Insurance Contributions deducted at 11% on the excess above £110 per week. This is determined per pay period, so is not affected by previous earnings. Assuming 15 hours per week, this results in NICs of ((8.44*15)-110)*11%=£1.83 per week.

www.listentotaxman.com is a great resource for any queries like this.

ReputationRep:
    hi

thank you both for your post, they've been really helpful. I will look at what i've earnt, and what i'll do is speak to someone that i work with also.

Thanks again, so much! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.