Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cannot stop binge eating - gained 13 pounds in 5 days :( Watch

I have lost all control and cannot stop eating! I started eating on Thursday and now it's Tuesday and I'm 13 pounds heavier and look awful. My mum has already told me that I look fatter and should not eat junk food - like that helps.
    So, I know I'm probably going to get told to get a grip, stop eating and eat healthy or whatever but it's not that simple. Since December I've been eating very low calories. I won't say how much exactly but a very little amount. Less then the amount in say a chocolate bar. I'd also been exercising and sort of got sucked into calorie counting like crazy, weighing my food each day and began eating lesser every day. I lost control once before since December - in May. I gained about 2 stones in 3 weeks and then went back to eating less and lost it again - almost.
    But then on Thursday I sort of couldn't sleep as I was really hungry and then began eating crap again.
    Today I've had; 1/2 garlic baguette, 1 large kit kat chocolate bar, 3 cream biscuits, 1 bottle of milkshake, 1 bite of pizza & 1 geen tea.
    All very very unhealthy junk foods but yesterday was the worst day ever - I ate way too much then I could hold in my stomach. Right now my stomach is in cramps and feels like it's actually going to burst open. I couldn't sleep last night as I thought my stomach was going to rip apart. (It can happen as I read an article about a girl who binged and killed herself accidentally).
    I also have oedema of both feet, ankes and stomach which cannot be good. I feel very ill and am finding it difficult to sit or lie down. Thw worst thing is that I know I've done this to myself, it's not like I'm just feeling ill. I hate me sometimes.
    I know I should go to get some help from my doctor but knowing my doc she'll just tell me to get the hell out of there as my doc just doesn't give a damn.
    I'm not fat yet but I know that I soon will be if I continue like this. I've always had weight and food issues - for years now. I either eat very little for months at a time or for a few days,weeks or a month or so I'll eat whatever junk I can find and stuff it down me until I feel like I might die due to all the food.
    I don't know what I expect by writing about my problem here but I hope that I can perhaps get some advice from anyone who has had the same problem (or similar problem) as me. I feel embarassed to tell anyone about how I binge eat but I know it's not normal. I wish I could stop being this way and just eat like a normal person.

ReputationRep:
    My mum has already told me that I look fatter and should not eat junk food - like that helps.

well its true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Today I've had; 1/2 garlic baguette, 1 large kit kat chocolate bar, 3 cream biscuits, 1 bottle of milkshake, 1 bite of pizza & 1 geen tea.
    Erm was that everything?

Right now my stomach is in cramps and feels like it's actually going to burst open.
    If you answered yes to the above I can only assume that these are hunger pains...

ReputationRep:
    That's not actually all that much food... The problem is that you've been starving your body for so long, that it instantly grabs onto any fat it can, hence why you're gaining weight so quickly. You're also getting the cramps because your stomach's not used to the food.

You really do need to talk to a doctor. Your doctor WILL give a damn, so get down there asap.

ReputationRep:
    you should prob see your doctor if you suffer from oedema. I've never had it but isnt it sore? If he/she doesnt give a damn then try register in other clinic?

Is there any reason you're binge eating? I'm currently pretty stressed over a stupid resit on thursday so i'm kinda carving for food cus of boredom during revision, and the stress of course...

ReputationRep:
    you should visit the doctors just to check that your health is okay, if you feel your current doc doesn't care, then ask to see a different one. also, if you feel it'll be more comfortable for you, specify if you want to see a male or female doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda get the same thing, but not to the same extent, you need to start regular exercise (not walking everyday, proper exercise), then you're mental state will feel healthier. I feel generally the more I exercise, I eat more healthily and in a more regular pattern, organising your mind in effect.

(Original post by bibz1991)
    My mum has already told me that I look fatter and should not eat junk food - like that helps.

well its true
    Yes it is true but I'm still not in the normal weight range - my BMI is 15.6 or something?? I know she's right that I need to stop eating loads of junk food before I become too fat but I cannot help it. It's stressing me out even more to know that others are thinking I've lost control again. It doesn't help at all that people tell me to stop binging like I will easily be able to. It doesn't work like that - I didn't set out to eat junk food and binge.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is true but I'm still not in the normal weight range - my BMI is 15.6 or something?? I know she's right that I need to stop eating loads of junk food before I become too fat but I cannot help it. It's stressing me out even more to know that others are thinking I've lost control again. It doesn't help at all that people tell me to stop binging like I will easily be able to. It doesn't work like that - I didn't set out to eat junk food and binge.
    It must be a good thing you look "fatter" then because if you are 15.6 now you would have been waaay to skinny before and are still not in the healthy range. Just continue to eat healthy food that is high in calories instead of junk. And see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    what? isnt that way too underweight?:confused: I'm sure you wouldnt become "too fat" in any time soon...but you should still eat heathy even if you're really in that weight. make some healthy snack for yourself (cesar salad etc) rather than eating those rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    If your BMI is 15.6, you have greater problems than binge eating. You need to see your GP.

(Original post by impervious)
    Erm was that everything?

If you answered yes to the above I can only assume that these are hunger pains...
    Yes that's everything for today but yesterday was much worse. That's a lot more food then I've eaten in a long time though. The cramps are much worse then general hunger pains - I'm usually hungry all the time and those 'pains' don't hurt.
    Put it this way, my stomach hurts so bad that I scared myself countless times last night thinking I'd ripped it apart. Also, I'm getting chest pains as I think my stomachs pushing up on my ribcage and chest area.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's everything for today but yesterday was much worse. That's a lot more food then I've eaten in a long time though. The cramps are much worse then general hunger pains - I'm usually hungry all the time and those 'pains' don't hurt.
    Put it this way, my stomach hurts so bad that I scared myself countless times last night thinking I'd ripped it apart. Also, I'm getting chest pains as I think my stomachs pushing up on my ribcage and chest area.
    Your body has probably been craving foods it hasn't been getting enough of.
    It would be best to devise a heathy diet to stick to from now on. What was your previous average calorie intake? Are you male or female?

I have lost all control and cannot stop eating! I started eating on Thursday and now it's Tuesday and I'm 13 pounds heavier and look awful. My mum has already told me that I look fatter and should not eat junk food - like that helps.
    So, I know I'm probably going to get told to get a grip, stop eating and eat healthy or whatever but it's not that simple. Since December I've been eating very low calories. I won't say how much exactly but a very little amount. Less then the amount in say a chocolate bar. I'd also been exercising and sort of got sucked into calorie counting like crazy, weighing my food each day and began eating lesser every day. I lost control once before since December - in May. I gained about 2 stones in 3 weeks and then went back to eating less and lost it again - almost.
    But then on Thursday I sort of couldn't sleep as I was really hungry and then began eating crap again.
    All very very unhealthy junk foods but yesterday was the worst day ever - I ate way too much then I could hold in my stomach. Right now my stomach is in cramps and feels like it's actually going to burst open. I couldn't sleep last night as I thought my stomach was going to rip apart. (It can happen as I read an article about a girl who binged and killed herself accidentally).
    I also have oedema of both feet, ankes and stomach which cannot be good. I feel very ill and am finding it difficult to sit or lie down. Thw worst thing is that I know I've done this to myself, it's not like I'm just feeling ill. I hate me sometimes.
    I know I should go to get some help from my doctor but knowing my doc she'll just tell me to get the hell out of there as my doc just doesn't give a damn.
    I'm not fat yet but I know that I soon will be if I continue like this. I've always had weight and food issues - for years now. I either eat very little for months at a time or for a few days,weeks or a month or so I'll eat whatever junk I can find and stuff it down me until I feel like I might die due to all the food.
    I don't know what I expect by writing about my problem here but I hope that I can perhaps get some advice from anyone who has had the same problem (or similar problem) as me. I feel embarassed to tell anyone about how I binge eat but I know it's not normal. I wish I could stop being this way and just eat like a normal person.

reading your post reminds me of myself. Just like you, but to a lesser extent i go through phases where i restrict my calorie intake. (to around 600/800 cals) this noramally lasts for for around 3 months, and i normally loose around 20lbs, then all of a sudden something clicks in my head and i gorge on junk food every day for weeks and weeks till im back to where i started. i just cant bring myself to eat normally because i'm scared i'll become fat. but i feel stupid for going to the doctors because in the most part i stay in a healthy bmi range and i hardly purge so i feel like i wont be taken seriously. You sound like you are in a much worse position than i am in, so i really think you should go and talk to a proffessional- is there another doctor in your surgery you could possibly see instead of the one you dont like? i really hope you can beat this- i know how awful it is

ReputationRep:
    from the behaviour you've described and your low weight, i'm guessing you have an eating disorder(s)?

first thing is, you're not greedy/lazy/fat for doing what you're doing. if you've been depriving yourself for a long time/forcing yourself to stay at a low weight then your body will eventually rebel against you and MAKE you eat. it's not pleasant i know, and it can be really really distressing, but it's really quite normal in your situation. as is the swelling etc. which is probably what's making you look 'bigger' more than anything else.

by the way, the 13lbs is most likely nearly all food/water weight. even if you've binged to the high heavens (which it doesn't sound like you have) i think it would be pretty impossible to gain more than 5lbs in 5 days at a max.

don't listen to your mum- what she said seems a bit insensitive but the most important thing is your health. what you said you ate doesn't sound like loads but i do think you need to see a dr about your eating issues. seeing as you're still at a pretty low weight, they should be able to help you.

i know it's scary and you think 'what the hell is going on' but i've been there and honestly it will get better, as long as you start to treat your body with the respect it deserves. as long as you continue to deprive it, you will carry on compulsively eating.. if you want to get help, then i'd go asap because the nhs tend to have a tendency not to care about anyone once their BMI reaches 17.5.

sorry if i've come across a bit strong in this post but it struck a chord with me and i felt compelled to reply. you can PM me if you ever need a chat, and good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I think there's like, 3500 kcals for every pound of fat.

So in order to gain 13lb in 5 days you would of had to eat a calorie surplus of 9,100 every day.

Its probably water weight and the food, plus, if you have starved yourself that long, you have probably depleted a lot of important stores (no expert on this lol), so yeah. You've probably put on like 5 lbs MAX of fat.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is 100% going to work, but try it.

Get up at 6 a.m. or so, do something for 2 hours, like anything you'd normally do. Then at 8 a.m. have a huge breakfast. Then at 12 p.m. have a light lunch.

After that you should not be feeling hungry until about 5 p.m. or beyond. Then maybe have a medium/light dinner and that's it.

The biggest problem with your diet is not how much you eat, but what you eat. Try to have healthy stuff like milk/cereal/yogurt/fruit/chocolate/biscuits/cheese/eggs for the big breakfast (not all of them << though). For lunch something light but cooked, meat/vegetables/rice whatever cooked, really. And then finally in the evening again something cooked or maybe something similar to the breakfast.

I think you're binge eating simply because you're not getting enough of the things you need to get. It's like needing chocolate but eating a lot of milk - it's not going to compensate for it. Similarly, your body needs the good stuff in cooked meals and healthy food and you're just feeding it ****.

I hope you get better.

ReputationRep:
    ok just saw 15.6 bmi

You need to sort your diet out, go on 1500 calories at least a day and get at least close to a healthy range!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiling...Rain)
    I kinda get the same thing, but not to the same extent, you need to start regular exercise (not walking everyday, proper exercise), then you're mental state will feel healthier. I feel generally the more I exercise, I eat more healthily and in a more regular pattern, organising your mind in effect.
    oh wow! totally seconded lol

ReputationRep:
    The OP is clearly not 'fine,' are they? He/she obviously has serious issues with food. It's not for us to advise him/her or tell them that what they're doing is ok/healthy. It's not. OP, you need to go to the doctor asap. Although, seeing as your BMI is 15.6 I assume that you are already under care of some sort?

PM me if you want to, I've been where you are and come out the other side.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.