Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cannot stop binge eating - gained 13 pounds in 5 days :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    If your're gonna control your eating, you need to give yourself SOME of what you actually do like. e.g. if it's chocolate, allow yourself one bar a week, or a square a day or something. The more you deprive yourself, the more you'll want it and then it'll result in binges, like I think you've found it. In theory with exercise and a healthy ish diet you can eat all the things you like, just less regularly, and in smaller portions.

ReputationRep:
    i do this but to a less extreme extent. the pains are probably you stomach stretching after it has been so used to so little food. it gets to the point that your whole body and not just your stomach, is hungry. seeing as you count calories anyway, you could try using fitday to plan what youll eat the next day and the number of cals, i find it takes the stress out of eating because you know exactly what you will have, and plan at which times too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Today I've had; 1/2 garlic baguette, 1 large kit kat chocolate bar, 3 cream biscuits, 1 bottle of milkshake, 1 bite of pizza & 1 geen tea.
    That's really not that much; I and most others will easily get through that in a day

(Original post by psychocustard)
    That's not actually all that much food... The problem is that you've been starving your body for so long, that it instantly grabs onto any fat it can, hence why you're gaining weight so quickly. You're also getting the cramps because your stomach's not used to the food.

You really do need to talk to a doctor. Your doctor WILL give a damn, so get down there asap.
    Exactly this is what I was going say.

(Original post by impervious)
    Your body has probably been craving foods it hasn't been getting enough of.
    It would be best to devise a heathy diet to stick to from now on. What was your previous average calorie intake? Are you male or female?
    I know I have been craving food for months now so I knew that eventually I'd give in. I always say to myself that i will just eat healthy and exercise but soon I find myself restricting more and more to the point that I'm barely eating. Recently I had been having about just less then 150 calories a day - (which is more then I had been eating a couple of months ago when I was having 50-70 calories per day). I'd have something like 20g oats in water for breakfast and then I'd have less then 1 small apple for dinner (about 80-100g).
    I'd burn 200 calories every second day on the treadmill or bike.
    I'm female btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know I have been craving food for months now so I knew that eventually I'd give in. I always say to myself that i will just eat healthy and exercise but soon I find myself restricting more and more to the point that I'm barely eating. Recently I had been having about just less then 150 calories a day - (which is more then I had been eating a couple of months ago when I was having 50-70 calories per day). I'd have something like 20g oats in water for breakfast and then I'd have less then 1 small apple for dinner (about 80-100g).
    I'd burn 200 calories every second day on the treadmill or bike.
    I'm female btw.
    :eek:
    I think you were slowly killing your body. This binge has probably added some much needed weight to your body. You should have been consuming 10x more calories that that. If you find you are struggling to eat a healthy amount consistently I would recommend that you see a dietitian.

I wouldn't say I'm exactly the same, however I have a similar problem, and am convinced it's an eating disorder. Every few weeks/months I suddenly realise (think I realise) "OMG, I'm fat, look at all those other blokes they're skinny" and "Those clothes, I won't fit them!" So I start starving myself, but in a serious way. I end up drinking just coffee for days and not eating anything, then I might incorporate a few bites here and there. But then, out of nowhere, I GORGE myself. I end up eating packets of biscuits, seconds of everything, chocolate bars and crisps and cheese toasties and I put on more weight than I started with before the drastic diet. I usually loose 10-20 kilos in a month, then put it all back on again.

Actually, i'm in that phase right now. It's not so bad, but I fear it will become it. Yesterday I had a few tomatoes and a piece of toast and coffee. Today it's one piece of toast, a few rocket leaves and a tomato with about 5 coffees.
    It's a shame, I know it's wrong, but I can't help it. I wish I could loose weight (174cm and 68 kilos now, BMI = 22.5) after my recent binge which lasted 3 weeks, and then keep it off.

In all honesty, according to the BMI calculators, I want to be considered "Underweight". It's wrong, I know........

ReputationRep:
    If your mum is telling you you're getting fat and your BMI is 15.6, she is definitely not helping. Don't listen to her, that's pretty awful to be honest.

Please do go to your GP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.