Turn on thread page Beta

Have you changed your career plans ever since gaining work experience? watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you changed your career plans ever since gaining work experience? Were you put off in some way once theory was put into practice in the real world?

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes.

To think I once thought the Civil Service might be interesting. Glad I dodged that bullet!

Indeed, talking of dodging bullets, I've subsequently settled on joining the army.

ReputationRep:
    :yes:

Did medical work experience. Though 'screw this' and decided to study PPE instead!

ReputationRep:
    Not really, but working for a while did make me realise the importance of a degree and how much fun studying is compared to work.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Will never ever work in a solicitors office. Too much paper work!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, I've worked for 3 years in the Financial Industry. I'm quitting my job in 6 weeks to study Photography at University...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, will never work in industry ever, academia for me!

ReputationRep:
    After spending about 2 months on my course at university, I realised I was on the wrong path and changed career plans. Luckily, beginning my course kept those doors open for me and made it possible.

ReputationRep:
    years ago i thought i wanted to be a radiographer until i spent a week bored out of my mind on work experience!
    iv spent 3 years working in insurance (not something i ever really wanted to do!!) and am leaving in 7 weeks time to go to uni and become a speech therapist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :yes:

Did medical work experience. Though 'screw this' and decided to study PPE instead!
    what's PPE?

ReputationRep:
    Worked for some international organisations and was a little disillusioned by the amount of red tape, eggshell walking and general amount of effort that goes into unnecessary diplomacy and appeasement at the expense of fulfilling the organisation's mandate. That said, I still had a good time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah, I once thought teaching was a good career choice. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    omg yeah, I originally wanted to do architecture like 2 years ago when I started my a-levels....after work experience with an architect though I got totally put off and so glad I did cos now I'm going for a degree in international relations with politics and its exactly what I want

ReputationRep:
    I worked in Oxfam for 10 months. Started hating it around the 8 motnh mark but it was good experience

ReputationRep:
    Did Computer Science at uni, and agree whole heartedly with this statement:

(Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    Yes, will never work in industry ever, academia for me!

ReputationRep:
    Doing work experience in a Library put me off become a Librarian and applying for any Arts Degree.

ReputationRep:
    Work experience in both a solicitors office and barristers chambers made me never want to enter the legal profession EVER!! The people are just horrendous!

So I got my law degree and now I'm going to be a Primary Teacher.. starting my PGCE in September and loved every second of all my school work experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    That's funny... I've only ever met one person who worked in the legal profession, but they didn't exactly seem horrendous, lol. But are most lawyers really cutthroat or something?

P.S. Good luck with becoming a teacher, education does sound like one of the most rewarding professions

They were just rude and arrogant.. I realised that a) I didn't want to work with people like that, and b) I NEVER wanted to become that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Have you changed your career plans ever since gaining work experience? Were you put off in some way once theory was put into practice in the real world?
    Did a week in a civil engineering consultants, CAD is the worst thing in the world... i'm still going on to do a civil engineering degree though for some reason...

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes...first I wanted to be a vet, then I wanted to be a barrister, then a poet/author/university lecturer, now a forensic archaeologist. Never did I want to settle for a dull office job like those I've had in the past though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.