Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cival war side Watch

• View Poll Results: Which side would you choose?
    Anti-government
    70.00%
    Government
    30.00%

(Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    At the height of its power the monarchy lost the Civil War in the 17th century. Plus, the majority of the public regard the monarchy as archaic and unnecessary. That, and imperial measurement sucks. :p:
    The monarchy was in no way at the height of its power It was devoid of money, devoid of loyal followers, alienated from its natural constituency (the common people and the lords) and attempting to do too many things at once.

No way; most people respect the monarchy (i'm a republican, but then i'm Indian!) and like it But yeah, this is a joke topic, let's not get into a serious discussion

ReputationRep:
    "A martial nobility and stubborn commons, possessed of arms, tenacious of property, and collected into constitutional assemblies form the only balance capable of preserving a free constitution against the enterprise of an aspiring prince."
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    The monarchy was in no way at the height of its power It was devoid of money, devoid of loyal followers, alienated from its natural constituency (the common people and the lords) and attempting to do too many things at once.

No way; most people respect the monarchy (i'm a republican, but then i'm Indian!) and like it But yeah, this is a joke topic, let's not get into a serious discussion
    Back in the 17th century, where did the power lie? Almost entirely with the monarchy. The army was at its command, and at the beginning of the war so was the wealth.

I don't agree that most people respect the monarchy today.

But I'm going to bed. :moon:

(Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    Back in the 17th century, where did the power lie? Almost entirely with the monarchy. The army was at its command, and at the beginning of the war so was the wealth.

I don't agree that most people respect the monarchy today.

But I'm going to bed. :moon:
    In the 17th century there WAS no army. The army was a bunch of militia that parliament usually paid to equip, which charles could not really afford to do properly after the first Bishops war having spent ten years worth of savings most of which was pocketed or wasted by unineterested nobles.

Well, maybe not respect, but still .. like? I don't know.

G'nite

ReputationRep:
    er, if I had a full wallet, a really nice home, a nice woman, and a stable job, and the governmet would protect that, then I'd fight for the government. However if I had nothing, and the AG group promised money, I'd fight for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Okay, so is the government fighting to protect our rights and freedoms, or are the anti government side doing that?
    The government is trying to control our lives even more than they are at the moment so the anti-government side is fighting the government to get rid of the government so that we can do what we like and have freedom and rights returned to us

ReputationRep:
    If the government are a bunch of Hitler worshipping fascists or a dystopian capitalist regime then I'm sure I can spare a few Molotovs.

ReputationRep:
    Herefordshire seperatists.

ReputationRep:
    Anti-government all the way!

Hypothetical?! the war is on right now :ninja:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.