Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Link

What do you think about it?

I think it'll be a positive step in US-North Korea relations. It may even be the start of full relations between the two countries.

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked when I saw it earlier.

They're primary concern would be the 2 journos and encouraging N. Korea to restart nuclear talks, but all I see is the North using this as a PR exercise.

ReputationRep:
    clinton tag team

activate!

ReputationRep:

North Korea Calls Hilary Clinton A 'Schoolgirl,' 'Old Lady Shopping'

North Korean Foreign Ministry issued a statement to criticize Hila4y Clinton's remarks "Sometimes she looks like a primary schoolgirl and sometimes a pensioner going shopping"
    possibly the funniest diplomatic statement made from one country to another EVER

ReputationRep:
    Hmm kinda surprised at this.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_11829335.htm

They have been released, it is said that they're release was confirmed in advance by the North Korean officials and that Kim Jong Il was the one who approved their release.

IMO, Kim Jong Il doesn't strike me as a humanitarian person, so , how is it that he came around to releasing the journalists?. He has previously thwarted attempts at diplomatic communication, therefore, his agreeing to grant the women amnesty is quite unlike him. Was there some sort of diplomatic bargain or leverage involved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyyy2807)
    Link

What do you think about it?

I think it'll be a positive step in US-North Korea relations. It may even be the start of full relations between the two countries.
    Agree! I also think that after this event, it'll be easier for them to solve NK's perennial problems. By accepting this visit, NK partly confirmed its willingness to continue discussing the nuclear issues. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Clinton's "private meeting" with Kim Jong-il was certainly unexpected considering North Koreas recent nuclear movements (not to mention the rigorous checkups and following agreements the Obama Administration made with him concerning his IR business, before appointing Hillary as Secretary of State)

After a three hour meeting the two journalists were pardoned and allowed to fly home.

What interests me here is not that they escaped the misery of 12 years imprisonment + hard labour (although this was definitely a relief). Rather I would point to the fact that Jong-il himself had requested to meet Clinton, offering to let the two women go if he would come. The issues that were discussed during those three hours (I can't imagine it was all about the reporters), thus becomes very interesting.

Nuclear was out of the question (according to agreements made beforehand), however, the future of U.S. and North Korean relations was undoubtedly on the agenda. Rumors has it that Jong-il is prepping his third son to take over and as such this would have been a keen issue for him to settle. On the other hand the two nations' relations will depend largely on future developments (or perhaps lack of developments) in North Korea's nuclear projects. Seeing as nuclear wasn't discussed it must have been three very long and painful hours (which Clinton's stern expression in media coverage might be evidence of).

One can only speculate what was being said between the two, but I'm quite confident that we just witnessed another Clinton Camp David initiative (for good or bad... subject to individual interpretation...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.