Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    i did as well...
    Why? Do you expect them to be more lenient than your firm if you miss the offer? :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah I'd heard the 10,000 places funded by govt are priority subjects only (engineering, maths, sciences etc) Recession sucks I suppose :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Yeah I'd heard the 10,000 places funded by govt are priority subjects only (engineering, maths, sciences etc) Recession sucks I suppose :dontknow:
    sucks because they had to fund them?
    Its 10,000 more than the zero they usually fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    I think this is why people have insurance choices and try hard in their A levels...
    Yep. :yes:

(Original post by Higgy90)
    good. not everyone is cut out for university. if you dont get good enough grades for your main or insurance choice, you shouldnt get in.

/thread
    /thread indeed.

An unfortunately unpopular statement to make but it is certainly true. I don't see what pushing underachievers into difficult science, maths and engineering university courses will do to help the country, unless I'm badly missing something. :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Quady)
    sucks because they had to fund them?
    Its 10,000 more than the zero they usually fund.
    No, it sucks that they are only funding the 'priority' subjects, and that so many people will miss out on going to university... it's not like there will be many jobs for them if they miss their offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    No, it sucks that they are only funding the 'priority' subjects, and that so many people will miss out on going to university... it's not like there will be many jobs for them if they miss their offers.
    Ahhhh yeah and its really random, psychology isnt stem even though its a science! ma sis has to hope she got her results, bet she wishes she hadnt slacked off now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    another reason why scotland is the best :P
    How many extra places are they funding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How many extra places are they funding?
    Not sure im not at the uni stage yet

ReputationRep:
    Good thing i applied for a real priority course like Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    They dont get first pick at clearing do they? as unis wont even have our results yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    Well we get exam results tomorow meaning we get clearing places first .
    Yeah for scots unis, not english/welsh ones.

ReputationRep:
    10,000 clearing places only It's not clear from the thread but are these extra funded places or just the general number there will be.

That's a ridiculous amount, there are already too many people at uni; if you aren't good enough to get in via the standard ucas procedure then you aren't good enough to go to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayjay)
    10,000 clearing places only It's not clear from the thread but are these extra funded places or just the general number there will be.
    I assume those places excluded in the suggested (and suprisingly round) 10,000 figure are funded through grants either to the student, or university, or both. There may be more expensive places as a result, but no doubt not many will take them as the banks aren't exactly confident atm.
    That's a ridiculous amount, there are already too many people at uni; if you aren't good enough to get in via the standard ucas procedure then you aren't good enough to go to uni
    well that would be a solution to the problem but remeber we can vote now :P the gov. wanna keep us happy, and of course, 'off the streets'.

ReputationRep:
    You don’t go to university just to have ‘a great time’.
    -> The point of university is to turn you into a highly educated worker. The great time you’ll (hopefully) have is just an awesome part of the whole experience.

On the subject of the ‘unfairness’ of the government only funding extra places in critical subjects.
    -> The government isn’t funding extra places out of the kindness of their hearts. They’re only funding critical courses because they expect something out of it (i.e. for it to help the economy). The economy demands graduates of these critical subjects, as opposed to graduates of philosophy… for example. 10,000 places for this purpose is thus quite a fair amount. By all means, you should study whatever you want, but don’t expect the government to put in any extra funding for generic courses. There are already enough graduates from those types of courses.

Going to university has never been a basic right.
    -> To earn the privilege of going to university, you need to put in some (not so hard) work.

On the subject of there not being enough places for everyone.
    -> Harsh truth: If you can’t even get the grades required for getting into the lowest ranking universities, then you’re not college material (excluding extraordinary circumstances which may have affected your grades in a way that doesn't represent your true potential). After all, some would argue that if you only have potential* for a bottom ranking university, then you're not really college material either. Look towards a more vocational job and save yourself (and the UK) the debt.

*your true potential, and your actual grades, being two different things.

ReputationRep:
    scot students tend to go to scot unis too (cheaper, locality).. good news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    this is erroneous logic, surely someone very academic who just misses out on their AAA offers is more suited to university to someone makes their 150 UCAS points offer
    But surely if they were really smart they wouldn't have both Firm and Insurance as AAA offers and if you are an AAA candidate then I doubt you'd miss your Insurance if reasonible, for example AAB,ABB. It'd only be your own fault if you missed out with say an AAB and yet you only had offers of AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    But surely if they were really smart they wouldn't have both Firm and Insurance as AAA offers and if you are an AAA candidate then I doubt you'd miss your Insurance if reasonible, for example AAB,ABB. It'd only be your own fault if you missed out with say an AAB and yet you only had offers of AAA.
    I still don't agree, maybe they made a range of applications and only got offers from AAA courses, or alternatively they realised how competitive their course was so to maximise the chance of getting into any good universities they used all five applications to competitive unis. Or they are truly capable of meeting their AAA offer but something bad happenend that affected their exam performance. I get the feeling I am right and you know that I am, but feel the need to argue anyway , anyhow I am a very argumentative person so bring it on

ReputationRep:
    I strongley disagree that just because a student misses out on their firm and insurance offers that they are unworthy of university study. There are so many reasons why this could happen including factors which could be completely out of the students control. It's not as simple as saying "you did not meet your offer, you are not academic." There may be a relation between the two statements, but the second is by no means a conclusion to the first.

The aim for many is to get a place on the best course that they can, so why not aim high and apply only for the best that they think they may achieve? There is always next year if things don't go to plan and so losing out on the gamble doesn't make you unworthy of academics, it could simply mean that they're determined to do as well as possible.

A student could react badly to stress and exams and despite being very able, still miss out. They could be ill over the exam period, or having other worries, or for a highly subjective subject like English or Art, be unlucky and have strict or differently minded examiners.

There are so many reaosns why a student could miss out on grades. I think that it's very ignorant to simply assume that all missed grades are due to lower intelligence or academic ability.

It also implies that grades are the only factor which determine how successful a student will be at university. Determination, work ethic, independance, wider knowledge and thinking skills among others are all important to study and yet not always reflected by high school qualifications.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BJack)
    Why did you put Imperial as your reserve, rather than something lower?
    Well, that would have had to have been Warwick, with an offer of AAB.

However originally I put Imperial as firm and Durham as insurance, then had a change of heart 13 days later and swapped it, so I'm kinda glad I did it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Ahhhh yeah and its really random, psychology isnt stem even though its a science! ma sis has to hope she got her results, bet she wishes she hadnt slacked off now lol
    Psychology is a social science, not a 'proper' science.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.