Turn on thread page Beta

Any San Franciscans here? (Or people who've been in Late Aug/Early Sept?) watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hi all

Basically I'm going to a wedding in San Fran at the end of August and we're sort of making it a bit of a holiday and staying there a week until Early September. My issue is: what will the weather be like? You can only rely on average temperatures so much (given what our summer is like, you can't trust weather forecasts at all)
    Anyone know what to expect?

This is with regard to packing/visit ideas obviously, so any advice for this as well let me know!

GL

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:

It's much colder in the actual city of San Francisco so if you're staying there pack jackets, pants, etc. The wind kills. Jacket vendors make so much money here I bet 'cause people get off their plane expecting warm California weather and instead are like "Holy **** it's cold!!"

Anyway, you'll probably have some pretty nice days but make sure you pack some warm clothes. A couple light jackets/sweatshirts should be fine.

If you're staying more inland, it will be much much warmer.

I live pretty far east bay, and there is at least a 20 degree F difference between my house and the city.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We're staying in Fisherman's Wharf...?
    Except for the night of the wedding, when we're staying in San Francisco Bay.

That's good though, I'll stock up on jackets/cardigans/sweatshirts! (I'm one of those people who never seems to have anything I need...currently my wardrobe is full of summer dresses)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmalouise)
    We're staying in Fisherman's Wharf...?
    Except for the night of the wedding, when we're staying in San Francisco Bay.

That's good though, I'll stock up on jackets/cardigans/sweatshirts! (I'm one of those people who never seems to have anything I need...currently my wardrobe is full of summer dresses)

Thanks!
    yeah the wharf is right on the water, it's cooooold

but it's awesome. the seals.

where in the bay are you staying? 'cause like I said, I live in the bay but it's a whole lot warmer here than in the city. you may have a need for those summer dresses after all

ReputationRep:
    It'll be warm in the day. But if there is wind and at night, the temperature will drop quickly. As you're right on the water, you'll probably get fog as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mleoni1)
    yeah the wharf is right on the water, it's cooooold

but it's awesome. the seals.

where in the bay are you staying? 'cause like I said, I live in the bay but it's a whole lot warmer here than in the city. you may have a need for those summer dresses after all
    Sorry - internet has been dead for a few days. We're staying in the sofitel hotel which, according to its website is redwood city...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmalouise)
    Sorry - internet has been dead for a few days. We're staying in the sofitel hotel which, according to its website is redwood city...?
    redwood city will be much warmer than SF - so just pack a variety of clothes. It's probably around 80's F in redwood city but in SF it stays in the 50's-60's F
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mleoni1)
    redwood city will be much warmer than SF - so just pack a variety of clothes. It's probably around 80's F in redwood city but in SF it stays in the 50's-60's F
    Okey Dokey, thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    I went to SF in August and it was freezing until around 1pm when the fog had rolled out of the bar and cleared up. It still wasn't particularly warm. I'd say a better time to be in California would be December, it's a nice temperature.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.