Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cannot do 1 sit-up - what's wrong? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just been trying to follow some exercises on a Men's Health DVD. However, I cannot do a sit-up. My body simply won't move in that kind of direction. What could be wrong? I have a curvature of the spine, is that a hindrance?

ReputationRep:
    When you say you can't do it, what happens exactly? Can you go some of the way but find it too hard to continue? Can you not move in that direction i.e. bend?

ReputationRep:
    do u have excess weight on your belly?

ReputationRep:
    'I cannot do 1 sit-up - what's wrong?'

I'd hazard a guess at being unfit? /troll

Couldn't resist, I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    If you're just starting it will be hard to pull yourself up very far - do as much as you can, making sure you're using your abdominal muscles as opposed to your shoulders, and you'll find they get easier with time and practise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Just been trying to follow some exercises on a Men's Health DVD. However, I cannot do a sit-up. My body simply won't move in that kind of direction. What could be wrong? I have a curvature of the spine, is that a hindrance?
    i cant either...ah well :/

ReputationRep:
    get off your hands and tippy toes, and turn around and lie on your back to start with.

ReputationRep:
    your fat

ReputationRep:
    You have lack of flexibility or you are unfit. I'm also guessing you can't run for very long or have difficulty walking.

ReputationRep:
    is that even possible?? how cant u do a sit up??? wats ur physique anyway

ReputationRep:
    I can't do a single press-up :dontknow: can do situps though...

I wouldn't worry too much.... some people just can't do certain things I guess..... visit a local gym and ask?

ReputationRep:
    I am skinny fat. I am about 10st 3lbs. I am male, aged twenties. I do have a bit of a gut, but it's not exactly that bad...

I can just about lift my shoulders off the ground, but no matter how hard I strain, I cannot sit upright.

What's the point of me going to the gym if I cannot even do a sit-up?

I presume my bad back is going to prohibit me from ever getting a better physique.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I have the same. Can do crunches absolutely fine but have never been able to get the motion of a sit up unless my feet are held/hooked to something. If I try otherwise, I end up doing a crunch and then my lower back locks up completely straight. I guess it is just a back thing so try strengthing that.

ReputationRep:
    Get someone to stand on your feet?

ReputationRep:
    I used to not be able to do sit-ups. I looked like a beached whale but I was just unfit. Now it's fine, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I presume my bad back is going to prohibit me from ever getting a better physique.
    It is always recommended that you go to see a doctor when you start any sort of training to get their go-ahead, this definitely applies to I would say. So make an appointment and find out instead of worrying

ReputationRep:
    Try steroids.

ReputationRep:
    you're on a roll tonight.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    your fat
    :plz2:
    Not fat, just lazy.

I sit up all the time, even now.

ReputationRep:
    You are too fat. FACT.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.