Turn on thread page Beta

I cannot do 1 sit-up - what's wrong? watch

ReputationRep:
    You're just weak.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    lol I can do 300 press ups and sit ups with only a bit of effort required towards the end

ReputationRep:
    My spine is probably curvier than yours, and I can still do 100 sit ups at a time if I want. Maybe you're doing it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Just been trying to follow some exercises on a Men's Health DVD. However, I cannot do a sit-up. My body simply won't move in that kind of direction. What could be wrong? I have a curvature of the spine, is that a hindrance?
    unclucky, try pullups to start off with then that may help your abs get used to that sort of tension then try doing a sit up next day.
    AS you obviously cant do a sit up try doing 7 Pullups but 5 sets(it will help strengthen your abdominal area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    lol I can do 300 press ups and sit ups with only a bit of effort required towards the end
    how very lucky are you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    And yet you've named yourself after the most irrelevent Doctor Who in history. That renders your boast invalid.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, I heard that the back is effectively the CORE part of your body. It is where all your strength is summoned from. If the core (back) is therefore erroneous then the strength cannot be summoned properly and it won't get transfered to the limbs, because I am also weak in the arms.

Basically, I believe my back is preventing me from having any kind of strength. I'm kinda annoyed that I cannot do sit ups. I tried other types of movement too, such as laying on my back with my hands behind my back and my legs up in the air (parrlell to floor) and trying to twist from side to side. That really hurt my back, in fact I think I am still in a little pain from it.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, I heard that the back is effectively the CORE part of your body. It is where all your strength is summoned from. If the core (back) is therefore erroneous then the strength cannot be summoned properly and it won't get transfered to the limbs, because I am also weak in the arms.

Basically, I believe my back is preventing me from having any kind of strength. I'm kinda annoyed that I cannot do sit ups. I tried other types of movement too, such as laying on my back with my hands behind my back and my legs up in the air (parrlell to floor) and trying to twist from side to side. That really hurt my back, in fact I think I am still in a little pain from it.
    I bet that was amusing.

Look, just stop it. Stop all this Men's Health and sit-up NONSENSE. Google "Starting Strength". Do it, it's what pretty much all the strong guys in this forum have used/are using.

ReputationRep:

Seriously, go see a doctor! If you still have back pain, obviously your back is saying "WOAH". Because we don't know much about the actual curvature of your spine, we can only guess. Your GP/special spine doctor should be able to give you better, tailored advice about whether you are unfit or whether your back is genuinely stopping you. Don't keep trying until you see someone or you might hurt yourself more! Come back here for advice if you know it's not your back and you're genuinely unfit

ReputationRep:
    Thread haz provided lolz y0!

ReputationRep:
    Your stomach muscles aren't strong enough

ReputationRep:
    I was told to use your stomach muscles and clench them as you ur self up. You might be pulling from your neck.

ReputationRep:
    ye havenny got the power cappin'

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same - it's to do with my inflexibility I think, meaning that when I try to lift further up I physically can't (and I'm not fat :dry:).

The easiest way around this is simply to put something on your feet, so they don't lift it and you can then do them. Get someone to stand on them, or prop them underneath a bar or step.

ReputationRep:
    Sit ups suck anyway. Do bicycle crunches

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.