Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hepatitis B. Should I get it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks for all the advice guys, i've actually just come back from the doctors, I got the jab. Now I have one more to go, then another when I come back from holiday.

I won't be fully protected, but I guess it's some. I have the money, I just don't like like spending on things that I may not need, especially when it's £90-£100.
    I decided to look at it like an investment, because I will make sure I get these all topped up, then eventually i'll be immune for life, which is handy as I want to have a long future travelling the world, including things like travelling through the Amazon.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

I hate the anticipation of getting an injection, I'm fine until I take my top off and i'm waiting for it, the injections don't even hurt (though this was actually the worst one i've had) but it's still uncomfortable. It's like when you're a kid and somebody else tries to take your splinters out, it's worse because you're not controlling it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    I got Hep A free with Typhoid.
    I think you got kind of screwed here, you should not be paying for Typhoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    They're not!

If you've had one, you know what the others will be like.
    Phew thanks, that other poster got me all worried

ReputationRep:
    Can't you get hep b from surfaces too ?
    I had my second hep b jab today and it made me feel really faint and sick but it wouldn't put me off it, i'd rather be safe byt then again, mine was free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I think you got kind of screwed here, you should not be paying for Typhoid.
    No I meant I got them both free in one shot. Not that Hep A was a bonus for paying for Typhoid.

(Original post by Jessicax)
    Can't you get hep b from surfaces too ?
    I had my second hep b jab today and it made me feel really faint and sick but it wouldn't put me off it, i'd rather be safe byt then again, mine was free.
    How'd you get it for free?

ReputationRep:
    I've had the 3 x Hep A & B combined (twinrix) doses and didn't have to pay for any of them. I guess it varies from GP to GP?

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it.

& you only need 2 if you're not immune first time i believe? I was immune after the 3 (long time ago though)

And I had to pay too.. never heard of anyone getting it free and £50 for yellow fever. Typhoid was free though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    No I meant I got them both free in one shot. Not that Hep A was a bonus for paying for Typhoid.

How'd you get it for free?
    I went to my doctor's and made an appointment with a practice nurse and told her that i needed it for a work experience placement in a hospital and for some voluntary work i do and asked her how much it would cost. She told me the practice does it for free and gave me the first shot there and then (I'd only booked the appointment to enquire.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.