Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can you make your car cd player start when engine is started? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a cd player in my car that I have to switch on and off on every journey. Just wondering whether anyone knows if I can change a setting for it to start automatically with the engine start like other cars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ostentatious)
    Hey, I have a cd player in my car that I have to switch on and off on every journey. Just wondering whether anyone knows if I can change a setting for it to start automatically with the engine start like other cars?
    Um, if you leave it on when you turn the engine off, doesn't it just come on when you restart the car?

ReputationRep:
    If I leave it on it just stays on for some reason, as if it's a seperate unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ostentatious)
    If I leave it on it just stays on for some reason, as if it's a seperate unit.
    Did you fit it yourself? chances are the previous guy has butchered the power connector and its not the proper one that should be used.

ReputationRep:
    there are two power wires, a red and yellow
    you need to swap them over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    Did you fit it yourself? chances are the previous guy has butchered the power connector and its not the proper one that should be used.
    I bought the car with it fitted, so they did it. Should any cd player turn off and on itself when the engines used then?

I'll take a look at the cables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADotC)
    Oh shut up you bloody idiot.
    enjoy your red rep

ReputationRep:
    why? its not a computer, you cant programme it (much). surely the effort to change it is more than pressing "on" at the start of every journey

ReputationRep:
    read my post ffs, all you have to do is take the head unit out, and swap over the red and yellow wires

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    why? its not a computer, you cant programme it (much). surely the effort to change it is more than pressing "on" at the start of every journey
    You can change the connector so that it gets the switched live to the right place rather than the permenant live. As somebody said already yellow & red.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrisK)
    read my post ffs, all you have to do is take the head unit out, and swap over the red and yellow wires
    It is also possible that both the live and ignition live wires have been wired to permenant live. So it's not necessarily 'as simple' as swapping the two wires. You'd be able to tell if it was wired in back to front like you say because the memory would be lost with the ignition turned off.

ReputationRep:
    some cars are simply wired without ignition sense to their radios ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    It is also possible that both the live and ignition live wires have been wired to permenant live. So it's not necessarily 'as simple' as swapping the two wires. You'd be able to tell if it was wired in back to front like you say because the memory would be lost with the ignition turned off.
    True, but anything like this. i would swap them over. Why anyone would wire them like that i dont know, and even if it was, swapping them over would only leave you exactly where you were before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrisK)
    True, but anything like this. i would swap them over. Why anyone would wire them like that i dont know, and even if it was, swapping them over would only leave you exactly where you were before
    I did it deliberately in my campervan, so I can listen to music in the back without needing the ignition on (which could cause the ignition coil to be damaged).

Either that, or not understanding the wiring of the car the stereo is fitted to. Not everyone understands electrics that well - as we don't even know what type of car it is, we don't know if it is a car that even had a stereo fitted from new.

ReputationRep:
    I made the loom in my car so it was independent of the ignition. I like it like that. Also remember that many older Volvos came with independently switched head units from the factory. Is the OPs car a Volvo?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't do it, and you live near Derby, I'll have a look and I reckon I can sort it for you easily enough.

ReputationRep:
    My factory fitted Kenwood CD player comes on and off fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It entirely depends what type of car you have. The majority of car wiring has a permanent live (Yellow) and an ignition switched live (Red). This enables the unit to power off when the key is removed but still remain power for clock and radio presets etc.

On some Vauxhalls, VWs and some others, these two wires need swapping over before connecting or the unit.

Unfortunately, certain newer cars, Peugeot, Renault etc, do not have a 'Red' cable, and therefore the head unit remains on regardless.

I would recommend taking it to an auto electricians or audio shop, they will be able to clarify if anything can be done.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    It's a Fiat so not sure if it has both the cables.

ReputationRep:
    Any one know the answer yet? It's a Fiat Punto Active 03 for the experts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.