Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge - not the be all and end all watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Tonight I have got loads of important things to do.

If you are so bothered check back a few pages and find one yourself.
    Maybe signing out would be a good idea, then. Just a thought.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Are you incapable of doing it yourself? People have been moaning for ages on here about all these people who's only goal in life is to get into oxbridge. Take a look over the last couple weeks worth of posts.
    You are the one trying to prove a point. I am not going to prove it for you ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    There are threads where people ask what they need to do to get in, certainly. However, I have yet to read any threads which match your description.

Ben
    You obviously have been around much / can't read properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    You are the one trying to prove a point. I am not going to prove it for you ffs.
    I'm not trying to prove a point because I couldn't care less what you think - hence this is my last post on this subject. I'm right and you are completely wrong - as many people will agree.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, neither of those is the case. You obviously can't be bothered to argue properly.

Ben

ReputationRep:

You obviously don't understand some very basic concepts, such as the idea that if there is no evidence to suggest something it tends not to be true.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to prove a point because I couldn't care less what you think - hence this is my last post on this subject. I'm right and you are completely wrong - as many people will agree.
    I, for one, certainly don't agree. And there is no need to be insulting to Ben.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously don't understand some very basic concepts, such as the idea that if there is no evidence to suggest something it tends not to be true.
    WMDs alert!

ReputationRep:
    personally, as an oxbridge applicant, i think it comes down to thinking that OTHER PEOPLE will see it as the be all and end all if i don't get in. I would be just as satisfied going to one of my other uni choices, but there would still be something so rewarding knowing that the (undisputidely) best uni had offered me a place. What i wouldn't be able stand would be the knowledge that everyone who knew about my application would also be made privy to my subsequent rejection. it's more a matter of pride...i want to be the best, and don't like the idea that others would know about my failure! Of course i wouldn't commit suicide or anything, but my pride would take a serious beating!

ReputationRep:
    With a Degreefrom cambridge looks very nice on your CV. Iwas told That a bygetting a degree from oxbridge you would get a job anywhere. Oxbridge was everything to me and every part of my life was aimed towards that goal . From the age of 13 when I was told I would be going to Cambridge by my mother. i am not going to cambridge, i like cambridge but did not have the grades. That life, I would rather now go to Durham. I had extra help but still failed to win a place. Durham seems nicer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    With a Degreefrom cambridge looks very nice on your CV. Iwas told That a bygetting a degree from oxbridge you would get a job anywhere. Oxbridge was everything to me and every part of my life was aimed towards that. From the age of 13 when I was told I would be going to Cambridge. i am not going to cambridge, i like cambridge but did not have the grades. That life, I would rather now go to Durham.
    Who on earth told you you were going to Cambridge at age 13?

ReputationRep:
    From my Sats test, I understand it sound mad but that was how it worked

ReputationRep:
    The actualy question was 'who', but nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    The actualy question was 'who', but nevermind.
    He answered that before. It was his mother.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    He answered that before. It was his mother.

Ben
    Yes, he edited the post.

ReputationRep:

Out of intrigue, are you at university now or have you been rejected prior to an interview for entry in 2004?

ReputationRep:
    I year 13

ReputationRep:
    I year 13
    Which would mean you have applied to university. What were your grades?

ReputationRep:
    Here's an exmaple of what you're looking for:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=15894

(Original post by A Grade Student)
    I've applied to Cambridge and if I don't get in I am going to the press! No, I really am. I am predicted 4 A's and i'll almost certainly attain them, and not only that but I reckon i'll get the top 10 best scores in the country on some papers. If I don't get in then me and my family have already decided that we will complain publicly and even seek legal advice (we were discussing it earlier). The only reason they could reject me is because I am from a working class background. And if that is the case, then that would be discrimination and a lawyer will be consulted.

Also, I am thinking of warning the interviewer that if I don't get accepted, then I will be complaining and seeking legal advice, during the interview. Do you think I should? This would probably make them think twice before rejecting me on the grounds of social class. Is this a good idea? We think it probably would be.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly A grades at gcse and the same for As level

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.