Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge - not the be all and end all watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    personally, as an oxbridge applicant, i think it comes down to thinking that OTHER PEOPLE will see it as the be all and end all if i don't get in. I would be just as satisfied going to one of my other uni choices, but there would still be something so rewarding knowing that the (undisputidely) best uni had offered me a place. What i wouldn't be able stand would be the knowledge that everyone who knew about my application would also be made privy to my subsequent rejection. it's more a matter of pride...i want to be the best, and don't like the idea that others would know about my failure! Of course i wouldn't commit suicide or anything, but my pride would take a serious beating!
    Here is a perfect example of the misconception oxbridge applicants suffer from. Being at Oxbridge does not necessarily make you better than students at other unis. Many excellent students do not wish to apply to Oxbridge and the interview process is not infallible. I understand that being rejected dents pride but it would be so much easier for applicants if there wasn't this view that if they don't get in they're not good enough. Many suitable Oxbridge candidates are rejected simply because the unis are oversubscribed.

As a member of the Cambridge access scheme I can say that the stigma of rejection is one of the most off-putting issues for potential oxbridge applicants and it is really unfounded. The difference between an aceptance and a rejection is often very slight, possibly just circumstances on the interview day. I agree at least with the title of the thread and would suggest to applicants that, while this is easier said than done, they should try to relax and realise that's it's not the end of the world.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.