Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im 17 and am currently in sixth form, During the summer period i have gone out and got a summer job, however i am very dissappointed by the pay, and was just wondering if it was in line with the minimum wage etc?

Im working temporaily throughout the summer with a landscape gardening firm, doing various gardening jobs and was just wondering what the minimum wage was for such a job for someone of my age?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gouldy123)
    Im 17 and am currently in sixth form, During the summer period i have gone out and got a summer job, however i am very dissappointed by the pay, and was just wondering if it was in line with the minimum wage etc?

Im working temporaily throughout the summer with a landscape gardening firm, doing various gardening jobs and was just wondering what the minimum wage was for such a job for someone of my age?

Thanks
    Minimum wage for a 17 year old is £3.53, goes up to £4.77 when you turn 18. Are you on more than this?

ReputationRep:
    ha ok cheers, im on £3.53 so right on the boundary

ReputationRep:
    you need to get a job somewhere else me thinks- (tis a bit low) cause i get £5.22 in waitrose and i am 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    you need to get a job somewhere else me thinks- (tis a bit low) cause i get £5.22 in waitrose and i am 16
    most people don't have the luxury of being able to get a better job.

ReputationRep:
    keep your job money is money at the end of the day, and if you find something else then great... go to that

ReputationRep:
    i think id rather get payed £3.50 and hour for goardening than £5 to work in a supermarket

I've done retail and it make me want to :shot:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Gardening is hard work, there's no way I'd do it for so little money!
    Yay for £7/8 p/h babysitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_ryan)
    i think id rather get payed £3.50 and hour for goardening than £5 to work in a supermarket

I've done retail and it make me want to :shot:

amen to that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    If you see it as a workout, then you're saving on gym membership :p:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Yeah, babysitting ftw

Also, piano teaching :yep:

ReputationRep:
    lets swap jobs?
    mines £4.35 per hour, but the jobs a lot tougher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Yeah, babysitting ftw

Also, piano teaching :yep:
    Piano teaching..bah.....

Go get a proper job Chopin :p:

(Joking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Piano teaching..bah.....

Go get a proper job Chopin :p:

(Joking)
    Says Mr I-got-rejected-from-McDonalds :p:

And I thought I told you to stop stalking me!! :awesome:

LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Says Mr I-got-rejected-from-McDonalds :p:

And I thought I told you to stop stalking me!! :awesome:

LOL
    Yes, I might have been rejected from McDonalds but I got accepted into Sainsburys instead :p:

Therefore we can conclude I do not fit the profile of a Mcdonalds worker (an unquestioning, automatron of a worker) but instead of a Sainsburys worker, dedicated to giving good quality customer service to a very discerning audience. Besides - all the piano teaching has clearly made you into a snob - an undesirable quality in today's society :p: :p:

And before this thread is taken too far off course I used to be paid £4 hourly when I worked at a garden centre over the summer last year. However, I was 15 at the time so I thought this was a very good wage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.