Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you/someone you know don't drink alcohol? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    They don't like the taste, religious reasons, they don't like losing control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    What's your reason then?
    Because it's relaxing, helps confidence, and some people enjoy the feeling.
    When theres a group of you, it can be fun. It's for the team.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you know your limits, alcohol helps loosen you up a bit in some social situations.

ReputationRep:
    I myself quiet a bit but I do have friends that don't. I just think it's either their families are not fond of them drinking or they don't want to make idiots of themselves by getting really drunk and doing something stupid

ReputationRep:
    drinking problems on either side of my family. i just don't want to follow the lineage

ReputationRep:
    dunno
    I've never had any interest in it so I haven't bothered

ReputationRep:
    run out of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    Because it's relaxing, helps confidence, and some people enjoy the feeling.
    When theres a group of you, it can be fun. It's for the team.
    Hehe yeah right, you just say things you wouldn't if you were sane, embarassing/dangerous. And yeah you can enjoy the feeling of the hangover the next morning.

For the team? Oh, you mean peer pressure. How stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe yeah right, you just say things you wouldn't if you were sane, embarassing/dangerous. And yeah you can enjoy the feeling of the hangover the next morning.

For the team? Oh, you mean peer pressure. How stupid.
    If you were to have a couple of drinks at lunch, no hangover.

I've never done anything dangerous, and haven't really said anything embaressing. If i have, other people were drinking too, we now know more about each other and have bonded.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen through family members how alcohol affects you and how it screws up your life and personal relationships. I don't want that to ever happen to me

ReputationRep:
    The appalling grammar of this thread's title makes me feel sick

I don't drink for religious reasons, as it's forbidden. I think alcohol is a very dangerous and destructive substance regardless, though, so even if I could drink I don't think I would.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm intolerant to most of it. I do sometimes drink - but that's rare.

ReputationRep:
    You only get a hangover if you drink too much/too fast. This is about drinking in general, not getting pissed. Ive only ever had 1 hangover, it was because I drank too fast

ReputationRep:
    Cause i don't want to get wasted...

Oh yeah... and because I'm Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    dont particularly like the taste... although i guess i was young.
    my parents dont drink, so its not readily available. it seems like a lot of effort to go and disobey them
    i dont like what it does to people. it changes them. they get obsessed by it, they think its cool, it ruins your judgement. what's more, is i know i'd get addicted because i get addicted to things
    i dont like the damaging things it does to your body
    i dont like how stupid it makes people...
    and also i am stubborn. my friends nagged me to drink and the more they nagged, the more i refused point blank. i dont see why i should be forced to drink.

ReputationRep:
    They have a non-infectious form of TB

ReputationRep:
    Why do you all assume that if you drink you will get instantly wasted?

ReputationRep:
    I dont drink because I'm on medication which wont mix well. Also, I dont really like the taste.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be able to drink quite a bit and never get ill/have a hangover.

About 4 months ago however, I got very, very sick after drinking(not a lot either, by my standards) - and continued to feel ill for a very long time afterwards (I'm talking over two weeks.)

Went completely T-total for past 4 months, tried drinking literally a couple of drinks last weekend, and again got very sick.

I've come to the conclusion I am not drinking again.... So, no moral/religious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    i don't much enjoy the taste. i don't mind WKDs and stuff but they are too full of calories, and everything else just tastes like crap.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.