Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed your grammar!

I do drink but when I choose not to for any length of time it's either because I am still associating the smell and taste of alcohol with throwing up and being hungover from the last time if it was a particularly bad time or I am terrified of ~losing control~.

A close friend of mine did not drink until she was 17 because of religion (she was/is a Muslim), but she decided to try it and liked it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink anymore because i get into situations that i regret

ReputationRep:
    lol i think drinking is way too hyped up.
    plus i dont need drink to have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who didn't. Had some alcoholism in his family and was concerned at the destructive effects that boozing can have in the right circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I enjoyed your grammar!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i dnt drink at all. religious reasons primarily but aside from that i genuinely dnt like the taste! i have to say i find people's reactions to the fact i dnt drink amazing. honestly, it's like i've told them i like drinking bleach - utter and complete disbelief! 'you dnt drink?! why?!'

i think it's quite sad really that people find it so weird if you dnt drink.

ReputationRep:
    I dont drink it because i don't like the taste. When we play drinking games i drink coke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy Kid)
    I dont drink it because i don't like the taste. When we play drinking games i drink coke
    Kind of defeats the point doesnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I'll have one or two drinks on a night out but I prefer not to really. I can see the attraction if you're in a club and everyone's dancing and having a few drinks just helps you relax and not feel so self conscious.
    I don't really enjoy the feeling of getting drunk and it almost makes me panic if I realise I've had too much. Maybe just a fear of being sick or being out of control. Some people like it but I don't. I don't like the way it's seen as something to be ashamed of though. The reactions you get if someone's going to the bar and ask you what you want are just stupid. It makes you feel like you need to drink just to get everyone off your back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smish)
    I'll have one or two drinks on a night out but I prefer not to really. I can see the attraction if you're in a club and everyone's dancing and having a few drinks just helps you relax and not feel so self conscious.
    I don't really enjoy the feeling of getting drunk and it almost makes me panic if I realise I've had too much. Maybe just a fear of being sick or being out of control. Some people like it but I don't. I don't like the way it's seen as something to be ashamed of though. The reactions you get if someone's going to the bar and ask you what you want are just stupid. It makes you feel like you need to drink just to get everyone off your back.
    yeah but i say im getting drunk on caffeine

ReputationRep:
    Put it simply, I don't like the taste. After the 3rd or 4th sip of it, I feel like spitting it out.

ReputationRep:
    I know I can't be trusted with it and I do stupid things when I'm bevvied. Also it undermines your fitness...

ReputationRep:
    Moral reasons? What possible moral reason could there be not to drink?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Put it simply, I don't like the taste. After the 3rd or 4th sip of it, I feel like spitting it out.
    This always makes me laugh. What have you tried? I bet I could find something you like and enjoy drinking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink because of religious reasons but even if I weren't a Christian, I wouldn't drink because I would hate not being in proper control of what I'm doing.....plus long-term liver damage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticMaster)
    This always makes me laugh. What have you tried? I bet I could find something you like and enjoy drinking.
    And that sort of attitude always annoys me, especially when it's drunken friends insisting I try whatever they're drinking because I'll like it. I never do. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. Alcohol is always going to taste of alcohol, even if its loaded with sugar you can't hide it completely, so if you really don't like that taste then you probably won't enjoy whatever you drink.
    I drink but I don't enjoy the taste, I find some drinks more bearable than others but there's nothing that I would say I like the taste of.
    To quote Jeremy from peep show "Mmm, delicious. Not actually delicious, like hot chocolate or coke, but for wine... mmm!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Not necessarily. Alcohol is always going to taste of alcohol, even if its loaded with sugar you can't hide it completely, so if you really don't like that taste then you probably won't enjoy whatever you drink.
    I drink but I don't enjoy the taste, I find some drinks more bearable than others but there's nothing that I would say I like the taste of.
    To quote Jeremy from peep show "Mmm, delicious. Not actually delicious, like hot chocolate or coke, but for wine... mmm!"
    I know many cocktails which don't taste at all of alcohol. Also vodka orange, if mixed properly with good vodka and good orange juice just tastes like orange juice. I enjoy the taste of some alcohols myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theciz)
    And that sort of attitude always annoys me, especially when it's drunken friends insisting I try whatever they're drinking because I'll like it. I never do. :rolleyes:
    I'm talking cocktails. I can think of a few which don't taste of alcohol. One baileys and banana is delicious although perhaps not the best for you as you do get a slight undertone of baileys. Or vodka orange mixed properly tastes of orange juice.

Also have you tried all alcohols? they don't taste the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking cocktails. I can think of a few which don't taste of alcohol. One baileys and banana is delicious although perhaps not the best for you as you do get a slight undertone of baileys. Or vodka orange mixed properly tastes of orange juice.

Also have you tried all alcohols? they don't taste the same.
    I half agree on cocktails: for the first few seconds they taste nice, but then the alcohol taste kicks in and I have to swallow quickly so as not to spit it out.

Indeed they do: different but each as disgusting as the last. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.