Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some quite damning stuff from what should be a fairly sympathetic audience to student unions in general - http://www.labourlist.org/student_un...ey_a_supporter

My experience of student unions hasn't been fantastic. What's your experience of them, and how would you improve your one?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjFGQiquGxQ

ReputationRep:
    When they're trying to "free Palestine" or any of that, then no.

When they're trying to get the government to scrap tuition fees then definitely.

When they're running a decent promotion at the pub then hell yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    When they're trying to "free Palestine" or any of that, then no.

When they're trying to get the government to scrap tuition fees then definitely.

When they're running a decent promotion at the pub then hell yes!
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:suith: you Demos.

ReputationRep:
    They give me cheap drinks in London, so yes.

ReputationRep:
    The one at Queen's is just overpriced and ****.

ReputationRep:
    Our one is fantastic... I love them to bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    They give me cheap drinks in London, so yes.
    :top: Can't beat pound night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    :top: Can't beat pound night
    I would be so happy if there was anywhere in Belfast with a pound night.

ReputationRep:
    My main gripe is that student unions invariably smell disgusting.
    I also dislike it when they (and universities in general) get involved in politics.

ReputationRep:
    The one at sheffield hallam wasn't cos they were going bankrupt by building some grossly overpriced cafe that nobody goes in so they've had to stop their friday club night to compensate for it which I don't think went down too well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    The one at sheffield hallam wasn't cos they were going bankrupt by building some grossly overpriced cafe that nobody goes in so they've had to stop their friday club night to compensate for it which I don't think went down too well.
    We have a grossly overpriced cafe too and I don't think any student could afford it.

ReputationRep:
    UMSU seems pretty weird from what I've seen of it on the news recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    We have a grossly overpriced cafe too and I don't think any student could afford it.
    They used to blither on about all this fair trade stuff cos they think students like ethical sort of things, the price isn't very bloody ethical when a bar of chocolate costs about £1!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    They used to blither on about all this fair trade stuff cos they think students like ethical sort of things, the price isn't very bloody ethical when a bar of chocolate costs about £1!
    I agree that £1 is steep if that's what it actually costs but remember that the reason shops are able to sell much cheaper food/sweets is because they pay overworked workers/children abysmal wages.

ReputationRep:
    The Manchester one is brilliant because it acts as a quadruple music venue as well - can't get better than that. Plus it's right near my Archaeology building so it's nice to pop in for a cheapo drink. Good societies too.

I hate the protesters, most of them don't know what the hell they're fighting for - but then again, if you can't be protentious at uni, when can you?

Edit:- I'm doing my classic exam technique 'not answering the question'...I think Manchester's is probably worth it, but I have no idea how much they're actually spending so, bit of a guess.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.