Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown will spend part of his summer break doing voluntary work in his Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath constituency, officials have said.

The Guardian reported that the PM had told colleagues he wanted to spend a week doing community work as part of a month-long holiday.

It said No 10 had been reluctant to confirm this for fear it might be seen as a publicity stunt.
    First of all, what the ....!?!

Has he seriously got nothing better to do?

Secondly, what else can it be than a publicity stunt?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's very noble

ReputationRep:
    Noble was not the word I was thinking of... -whistles-

Aw I thought it was quite sweet, the thought of him doing some gardening or rescuing a hedgehog. I imagined it being like his alter-ego. A kind loving Scot until a message flashes up on his bionic glass eye that a member of the cabinet has been embroilled in another scandal and he crushes the hedgehog with his iron fist stands up right, summons his hoardes of under-secretaries and junior ministers and screams "To Westminster".

Or maybe it's just a publicity stunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshilini)
    Noble was not the word I was thinking of... -whistles-
    Nor me...

ReputationRep:
    He should be applauded. Given a community badge.

ReputationRep:
    At least he's making an attempt to do something I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    He should be applauded. Given a community badge.
    Is this some new New Labour thing like an ASBO?

ReputationRep:
    Good on him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    Is this some new New Labour thing like an ASBO?
    It should be! Good idea!

I wonder if he has always done charitable work, even whilst outside the public eye?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it his job to be doing some constituency work in the recess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Isn't it his job to be doing some constituency work in the recess?
    According to OP he's spending a week doing volunteer work so that'll leave him time to catch up with his constituency surely?

[QUOTE]Has he seriously got nothing better to do?

Secondly, what else can it be than a publicity stunt?[QUOTE]

Describing at as 'having nothing better to do' won't exactly inspire people across the country to do volunteer work which is clearly very worthwhile.

Also, anything Gordon Brown could/does do would be viewed as a publicity stunt- at least with this one, if it is a stunt, the project he's volunteering for benefits from it.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian, who released the story, claimed that aides at No. 10 had refused to confirm or deny the story for a few days as Gordon didn't want it to go public (because people would think it's a stunt). In the end, Guardian went ahead with it anyway, so Downing St was forced to confirm.

Of course, if you're a real cynic you could ask where the story came from in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    In fairness to him, whether or not it's a publicity stunt he's still going to do it, which is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to make yourself look like a golden boy of the community , get on with some real ******* work gord.

ReputationRep:
    Damn you Gordon Brown!

Look at him, doing "Good things" and being a "Nice person" to try and trick us into liking him!

How..... sneakily charitiable of you!

/sarcasm

Give the man a break - you're getting angry at him for doing charity work in his own time!

ReputationRep:
    It's not a publicity stunt, but it is now in the public eye, just as most politicians' activities are. The decision was probably made with the knowledge that the public would find out, but that doesn't stop it being a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    First of all, what the ....!?!

Has he seriously got nothing better to do?

Secondly, what else can it be than a publicity stunt?
    They should have put that sentence in, that drew in the idea that it was publicity stunt. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Good on him.
    Agreed. I know a lot of people don't like Brown, but I find it extremely hard to believe this is for himself and the Labour Party.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.