Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    I think it's very noble
    As do I, actually. I have no problem with the PM doing voluntary work in his constituency. Seems like a perfectly decent thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary work in somewhere like Baghdad would be far more satisfying

ReputationRep:
    Another day, another gimmick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Another day, another gimmick.
    Very cynical. Possibly accurate but at least some direct good will come from this even if it is a gimmick. Firstly the charity work he undertakes himself. Second, the awareness it will raise for volunteer work and encourage others to do the same. Where's the drawback?

ReputationRep:
    He's just trying to win favour with the people who probably don't dislike him or distrust him as much as the rest of the country.

He's just trying to butter them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    He's just trying to win favour with the people who probably don't dislike him or distrust him as much as the rest of the country.
    Seems like a lot of effort to win over four people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
    Voluntary work in somewhere like Baghdad would be far more satisfying
    Voluntary land mine clearance perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    As do I, actually. I have no problem with the PM doing voluntary work in his constituency. Seems like a perfectly decent thing to do.
    So does resigning.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a lot of effort to win over four people.
    It was an off hand joke although I wouldn't be suprised, he would do anything for popularity at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary land mine clearance perhaps?
    Community cohesion officer. I'd love to see the response when he bans their flags and religious festivals.

ReputationRep:
    You know, when people say 'the Prime Minister' or something similar, I still think of Tony Blair. It seems my subconscious simply can't comprehend the idea of Gordon Brown actually being our head of government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You know, when people say 'the Prime Minister' or something similar, I still think of Tony Blair. It seems my subconscious simply can't comprehend the idea of Gordon Brown actually being our head of government.
    Thus, the image and appearance work put in by Blair and his close group of advisers completely paid off- even two years after he has left office, the words 'Prime Minister', 'Statesman', 'Premier' still conjure up the image of Blair. Still, give it time, not long until Lisbon is ratified and possibly we'll see Blair installed as President of Europe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannymccs)
    Thus, the image and appearance work put in by Blair and his close group of advisers completely paid off- even two years after he has left office, the words 'Prime Minister', 'Statesman', 'Premier' still conjure up the image of Blair. Still, give it time, not long until Lisbon is ratified and possibly we'll see Blair installed as President of Europe...
    Oh dear god.

This is the point I move to the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serendipity ♥)
    Oh dear god.

This is the point I move to the US.
    Ah but it'd be amazing entertainment wouldn't it- I'm already cracking up thinking of the coverage in the run-up to Blair's election by the rest of the EU.

Seriously though, if he was to stand, on the one hand it'd be a strange turn of events. On the other, it would be great to raise awareness about the EU in Britain. I think the media would feel duty-bound to cover more of the EU's business if Blair took the hotseat. And that, standing alone, is no bad thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.