Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With the A Level results day looming and the prospect of not achieving the required grades to meet my offer, I am wondering how lenient St Andrews is in letting people in, if for example they got a B as opposed to an A?

ReputationRep:
    depends i think if you are quite close to an A they will let you in but generally i don't think they are that lenient otherwise

On the other hand, universities make more offers than their intake for this reason and for some (maybe not in this case) turning them down as the insurance so looking at it from that prospective, they may not be that lenient

ReputationRep:
    You'll also need to bear in mind that St Andrews admitted too many students in the last academic year, so they may not be too sympathetic towards missed offers (as it'll reduce problems with accommodation etc). At the end of the day if you're unlucky enough to miss your offer the best thing you can do is to call admissions on results day. Anything else is pure speculation.

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe I should just start praying :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    usually not very lenient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elizabeth5089)
    I think maybe I should just start praying :rolleyes:
    I think you should stop worrying and try to enjoy your summer holiday. I'm sure you'll get the grades you need.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I reckon it's probably related to how popular your subject is too. You'd be more likely(not guaranteed!!!) to get in if you miss an offer for Comp Sci say than if you missed one for IR.

ReputationRep:
    I had quite a few friends miss their offer. One who had Physics missed her offer by one point, and another who missed her Chemistry offer by one point. Both were rejected and weren't let in, unfortunately.

But don't let this loom over your holiday, just enjoy your summer!

ReputationRep:
    Best advice I can give you: You've done your exams, and there's nothing you can do now about them now, so why worry?

Worry about them when results day actually comes, and until then, enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    Not lenient at all - I emailed them about this and they said my offer would be withdrawn if I didn't get the grades unless I provided evidence about any mitigating circumstances ...

ReputationRep:
    Hope all you scots were happy with your results today!!!

Yep, I echo sophie_c.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys

I'm officially going to St Andrews now :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Thank you guys

Congratuations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Thank you guys

...and uber uber well done for your results!!! :eek: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    ...and uber uber well done for your results!!! :eek: :yes:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm worried! I was wondering this too.

I already have ABB from the year before, and I was given an AAB offer this year. But my grandmother died early in the exam period and the funeral was right before my last one, and I know I didn't make that A because I barely wrote anything. We had a lot of things that had to be sorted out very fast about her estate. The admissions tutor said "we'll bear this in mind when results come out" but now I'm not feeling very hopeful at all. I'm technically only one grade below with my old results, but this is gonna be like a D. I can feel it.

ReputationRep:
    After todays results I'm now officially going to St Andrews next month :woo:

Getting quite excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste-ve)
    After todays results I'm now officially going to St Andrews next month :woo:

Getting quite excited
    Congratulations! What will you be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quo)
    Congratulations! What will you be studying?
    Thanks a lot, I'll be studying medicine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.