Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to miss a month of war studies at KCL and still manage to stay ontop of the subject...I'm probably going to go there next year, and I know it's terrible to already wonder if I can miss class, but it's for a very good reason i swear

ReputationRep:
    that is a very specific question and is probably in the wrong place.

im intrigued to know the good reason though?

ReputationRep:
    For what reason?

ReputationRep:
    You want to know whether it's possible to miss about a sixth of your tuition time and still do ok in your exams? I'm guessing not... Even assuming that you don't have tutorials or classes that it's an issue to miss then missing that amount of content is gonna be bloody hard to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    it'd have to be an extremely ''good'' reason. but i dont think we're the ones you should be asking.

ReputationRep:
    ok...thx anyways...the reason is that I really want to visit my gf I didnt manage to see these hollidays (with all the bad luck in the world), and of course, mexico is a great place where i could improve my spanish...But seings that u guys seem to think it very hard, I might shorten the time, and ask her to pop by for a longer visit...

ReputationRep:
    It's totally dependant on the material being taught at university, the amount of hours and whether you have work. There are some students that skip lectures to do self-study but that's not always the best way.

ReputationRep:
    You can do a degree in war studies!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    You can do a degree in war studies!?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    There'd probably be coursework to submit. You may have to submit hard copies as well as electronically. And there's no guarantee you'd have access to any reading you'd need to do for essays and the like.

So, in short, no. (And the reason wouldn't be seen as particulalry good either...)

ReputationRep:
    hahaha....yeah, thx G-A-V...I know some wouldn't see it as a very good reason...but u just have to fall on a particulary romantic notioned person and suddenly it's the perfect reason !!
    But thx everybody for ur advice, some of the ideas are in direct conflict, but ur all saying it's not the best idea...definitly taken on board...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah,sorry iron mike, yes u can study war studies!!
    It's a great course...if ur interested read 'strategy in the contemporary world'...its what really got me hooked

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine did the course & I think the most time he took off during term was the weekends, and even then, he still brought work home. I suppose it is possible to get away with skipping lectures, but I doubt any professor will like it if you miss to many seminars or supervisions where you are expected to contribute to the discussion too many times in a row.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right...well thx for the insight...I don't think going to Mexico for a Week end is an option though
    Ur at Kings College ?? When do u go back to the states ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julzz)
    Ah right...well thx for the insight...I don't think going to Mexico for a Week end is an option though
    Ur at Kings College ?? When do u go back to the states ??
    I was at King's. I'm home now. Bracing myself for another transatlantic trip & a masters'. :o:

Why don't you try planning a holiday over the Christmas break (which is 3-4 weeks) or during the Easter break (which is another 4 weeks)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sijia)
    I was at King's. I'm home now. Bracing myself for another transatlantic trip & a masters'. :o:

Why don't you try planning a holiday over the Christmas break (which is 3-4 weeks) or during the Easter break (which is another 4 weeks)?
    I probably will, but it's been too long since I saw her, and not being able to see her these hollidays has really made an impact on the distance between us :s...got to see her ASAP really...
    U finished the undergraduate course, how did u find it ? Is it very chalenging ? And how did u manage ur work (time wise) ??
    thx for all the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julzz)
    I probably will, but it's been too long since I saw her, and not being able to see her these hollidays has really made an impact on the distance between us :s...got to see her ASAP really...
    U finished the undergraduate course, how did u find it ? Is it very chalenging ? And how did u manage ur work (time wise) ??
    thx for all the advice
    My course was in History, not War Studies, but to stay on top of everything, the workload is significant, especially by the time you get to year 3, when that dissertation (or 2) really starts to weigh you down. Stress levels also increase dramatically. But if you pick subjects you enjoy working on, it's actually quite fun. I may just be weird though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sijia)
    My course was in History, not War Studies, but to stay on top of everything, the workload is significant, especially by the time you get to year 3, when that dissertation (or 2) really starts to weigh you down. Stress levels also increase dramatically. But if you pick subjects you enjoy working on, it's actually quite fun. I may just be weird though. :p:
    Right, thx for the info =)
    Nah i dont think that's wierd, it's great though. I hardly stress for work, so it all sounds good

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.