Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people think the situation will be like for people applying for grad jobs in the coming year. Will banks be filling their intake with this summer's interns or are they going to be running graduate recruitment. I'm doing an MSc. and looking at Research (or possibly trading). Is the market going to be dead again or is there hope yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yes interns mostly (probably 100% for the bank I work for). Grad hiring would be mostly zilch.

Research hiring will be zero. No one wants 'assistants' these days, coverage analysts doing all the work now since banks got rid of research assistants or those who 'run the numbers'.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any areas where there might be hiring?

ReputationRep:
    none at grad level. sorry. if you havent secured any internships, you are in big trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf87)
    Well, I had an internship in 2008 with a bank that is not so much in existence anymore! Decided to move on to MSc. so not entirely dependent on IBs for job prospects. I reckon I'd be a reasonably strong candidate should there actually be any opening so just looking into it at the minute.
    Where and what did you study at undergrad and for your MSc?

Word on the street is that Research, Sales and Trading hiring are still down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Where and what did you study at undergrad and for your MSc?

Word on the street is that Research, Sales and Trading hiring are still down...
    What about hiring for IBD and M&A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Couldn't say - it's not really my area of expertise... Maybe ask PManager, JJPP, Breitling or uthink, since I believe they're all in IBD/M&A...

ReputationRep:

All secured through internships...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager)
    All secured through internships...
    would you recommend Greenhill? Rothschild? Lazard?

ReputationRep:
    would you recommend Greenhill? Rothschild? Lazard?
    In this kind of environment, I would reccomend anything that moves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager)
    In this kind of environment, I would reccomend anything that moves.
    True.

ReputationRep:
    Higher than in S&T, but still low. Maybe you'll stand a better chance at the emerging shops (Barcap & HSBC for IBD, Evolution for S&T) than at the others (UBS to name but one).

Frankly, unless the volume/number picks up again you won't stand much of a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Higher than in S&T, but still low. Maybe you'll stand a better chance at the emerging shops (Barcap & HSBC for IBD, Evolution for S&T) than at the others (UBS to name but one).

Frankly, unless the volume/number picks up again you won't stand much of a chance.
    tbh my interest is in S&T mainly - FX over equity and FI. Barcap is open early for apps like GS. Thing with GS is that they offer a secondary divisional choice (IBD for me if I take it). Different skill-set required maybe? You reckon you'd need Hindi/Kannada if you're secondary location is Mumbai/B'lore? Would have thought virtually everything is conducted in English -I'm off to Mumbai later this Sept on a networking week.

I'm talking about intern hiring as opposed to grad hiring btw. You know you can do 10 weeks over the summer on condition that you're doing a 'masters' after? Do you reckon GS want to see professional quals (IMC) or just extensive reading? Quarterly reports & research essential of course, I take it.

ReputationRep:
    Is hiring in Asset Management a bit more resilient? I know they've been hit hard too but they're still managing the same funds, albeit for less money...

ReputationRep:
    lol no

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a graduate. What is hiring?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    I am a graduate. What is hiring?
    Look in an old history book about the time before 2008.... seems to be so long ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by /Paranoia\)
    Look in an old history book about the time before 2008.... seems to be so long ago
    If my internship doesn't yield a grad job, it's Masters then gap year for me... Won't even bother sending out any applications this summer, I've spent my last two summers firing off applications and prepping for interviews, sack that. 2012 grad jobs here I come. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Is internship hiring in IBD significantly better than in S&T. I ponder upon where to apply for IBD, and where for S&T. The question is not what i enjoy most, but where would i get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erion)
    Is internship hiring in IBD significantly better than in S&T. I am interested in S&T, but have an IBD profile and I am wondering where to apply for IBD, and where for S&T. The question is not what i enjoy, but where would i get in.
    What do you mean by 'IBD profile'?

From my experiences banks tend to take more interns on across S&T, but if you're truly an excellent candidate then it doesn't matter too much where you apply.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.