Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i meant it is more suitable for IBD, rather than S&T - interned at DB (corporate banking), and at the ministry of finance of a small country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erion)
    Is internship hiring in IBD significantly better than in S&T. I ponder upon where to apply for IBD, and where for S&T. The question is not what i enjoy most, but where would i get in.
    With such a writting style? Nowhere, dude.

Right now, banks are expanding areas such MO - risk, finance, compliance. Less so FO. And BO is even less than that.

ReputationRep:
    With IBD / M&A, the volumes are starting to pick up but as they're still very depressed the Banks won't be wanting to commit to large numbers of grads for a better market just yet. I.e. there's not enough confidence in the health of the market yet.

ReputationRep:
    rates, credit and -- gradually but always the last -- equities slowly returning to hiring fresh meat. very few people might get lucky to profit from small intern classes which might leave one or two positions for non-summer interns.

ReputationRep:
    IBD heads up, it's definitely not all doom and gloom. some shops are suffering from massive understaffing as a result of the junior banker slaughter, and senior rainmaker attrition.

Some intern classes this year are working under the impression that there genuinely is room for the entire intern class. An example - my buddy at ML recieved his FT offer over his mid-internship review.

ReputationRep:
    There are jobs. Certainly not everywhere is hiring, but some banks definitely are.
    We'll be biting our fingernails over the next five weeks or so as offers slowly begin to trickle in before hitting the phones / online applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrubsnamesake)
    IBD heads up, it's definitely not all doom and gloom. some shops are suffering from massive understaffing as a result of the junior banker slaughter, and senior rainmaker attrition.

Some intern classes this year are working under the impression that there genuinely is room for the entire intern class. An example - my buddy at ML recieved his FT offer over his mid-internship review.
    Lucky *******, has plenty of time to network his way to a better bank.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, he gets an offer over luch in his review and I get raped by an Aussie over my lack of focus while merger modelling at 5 in the morning. Typical.

Had any calls / emails uthink? Got an invite to a Goldman breakfast last week, and I've heard BarCap are on the poach.
    That's the consensus on the street. Those at BarCap I do know however are very coy about it.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, he gets an offer over luch in his review and I get raped by an Aussie over my lack of focus while merger modelling at 5 in the morning. Typical.

Had any calls / emails uthink? Got an invite to a Goldman breakfast last week, and I've heard BarCap are on the poach.
    Will be able to confirm this in a few days hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    Final week - everybody's loyalty is unwavering.

ReputationRep:
    What's the ECM/DCM scene like?

ReputationRep:
    my intern friend (specifically him) got rung up by a headhunter the other day.

!?!?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    my intern friend (specifically him) got rung up by a headhunter the other day.

!?!?
    Nothing uncommon.

How packed in is the fast track stuff this year? All sewn up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    How packed in is the fast track stuff this year? All sewn up?
    I'm in for one in September...

If I get a grad offer out of this internship I'm not likely to show up for it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    With such a writting style? Nowhere, dude.

Right now, banks are expanding areas such MO - risk, finance, compliance. Less so FO. And BO is even less than that.
    from my experience MO are all gettign laid off.
    At Unicredit especially Risk, ironicaly

ReputationRep:
    who is running fasttracks this year?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all, and kiss you all know what like you've never kissed it before. Would be good to see grad hiring picking up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banachi)
    who is running fasttracks this year?
    Goldman IBD are. Said they had underhired interns in anticipation for worse conditions, thus are hiring. They said it would be 4-6 week turnaround.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.