The Student Room Group

Warwick Vs York Vs Edinbugh

Hi!

I'm an international student starting my Masters this September. I got offers from York (MRes Comp Bio), Warwick (MSc Biotech & Business Management) and Edinburgh (MSc Informatics). I've pretty much decided on Warwick because thats the course I like the best.. but I keep wondering if I made the right choice keeping in mind employability. The Edinburgh and York courses seem to be more selective as their academic condition was higher.. but then again I do like the Warwick course the best. Am I making the right decision?

Any help is much appreciated.. thanks!

Scroll to see replies

If you like the course at Warwick, then you should choose that. With regards to employability, Warwick is highly respected so you should be fine. If you are an international student then look on the global league tables and see which comes at the top. Obviously tables aren't entirely accurate nor do they matter, but if you're planning to go back home wherever that may be, they may respect certain universities over others. I would personally choose:
1. Edinburgh
2. York
3. Warwick
My reasons are...Edinburgh is an amazingly good university and insanely awesome city! York is also great being a lovely campus uni, and the city is also wonderful. I was never keen on the location of Warwick, but the campus was great.

If you're an international student a campus would be nice, but with a great city near by you can get the best of both worlds...thus York may be the best for that as its a short walk away from the city centre. If you like Warwick, then pick Warwick!!!! :smile:
Well all I can say is that Edinburgh is aweeeeeesome.
Reply 3
Thanks nuclear!

The social aspect is not weighing into my decision at all because its a 1 year course so I dont really care about the location. Plus I've lived in this huge city my whole like so I think a campus might be nice for a change. I'm mostly just concerned about the university reputation and job propects etc.. I am actually quite tempted to take up Edinburgh's offer.. but.. I still love the course at Warwick the best!

Its so confusing.. lol!
Reply 4
ToastyCoke
Well all I can say is that Edinburgh is aweeeeeesome.

Thanks! I am so tempted by Edinburgh.. ugh.. more confusion!
Reply 5
Warwick has a strong brand name both nationally and internationally so if that is what you are worried about, you really shouldn't be.
You're welcome :smile:
Have you visited any of the places? That may sway your decision. I just checked the global league tables (bear in mind I don't believe in tables but they're a good reference point) and Edinburgh triumphed over York and Warwick. All are great unis...safe to say top 10 in the country. Do you know which is the better institution for the course? I know how confusing these things are...I'm battling a similar masters-related problem! :s-smilie:
Reply 7
They are all excellent unis so well done.
I would favour Warwick personally as I think it has the edge reputation wise. Edinburgh and York are nicer places to live, but seeing as it's just a year I wouldn't figure that into it too much. If I remember rightly, Edinburgh comes out on top RAE wise, but not by much.
Reply 8
FlyingIsis
If I remember rightly, Edinburgh comes out on top RAE wise, but not by much.

I'm pretty sure Warwick came top out of the three in both the 2001 and 2008 RAEs. It was 5th in 2001 and 7th in 2008. Edinburgh came 14th in 2001 and 10th in 2008.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-results-uk-universities
Reply 9
Thanks everybody!

The thing is, for sciences I think Edinburgh is the best out of the three (maybe?) but for business Warwick certainly has a name.. atleast thats what I gather. My course there being partly business management I'm thinking its probably good..? Edinburgh's course is more established and selective.. but I dont think its quite right for me.

At this point Warwick is the course I like best.. so I'm just gonna go with that and keep my fingers crossed that I wont regret it!!
Reply 10
nuclear_pavlova
You're welcome :smile:
Have you visited any of the places? That may sway your decision. I just checked the global league tables (bear in mind I don't believe in tables but they're a good reference point) and Edinburgh triumphed over York and Warwick. All are great unis...safe to say top 10 in the country. Do you know which is the better institution for the course? I know how confusing these things are...I'm battling a similar masters-related problem! :s-smilie:

I cant visit the places.. being an international student and all.. by time I'm done with everything here I'll just be in time for the course there. Kinda sucks.. I just hav to rely on the internet.

All the best to you with your dilemma!
Reply 11
Krush
I'm pretty sure Warwick came top out of the three in both the 2001 and 2008 RAEs. It was 5th in 2001 and 7th in 2008. Edinburgh came 14th in 2001 and 10th in 2008.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-results-uk-universities

I thought Edinburgh was better in research by far.. Thanks.. that makes me feel a little better about my choice!
Reply 12
Sang_P
Thanks everybody!

The thing is, for sciences I think Edinburgh is the best out of the three (maybe?)

Well for mathematics and physics, Warwick is certainly the better of the two.
Sang_P
Hi!

I'm an international student starting my Masters this September. I got offers from York (MRes Comp Bio), Warwick (MSc Biotech & Business Management) and Edinburgh (MSc Informatics). I've pretty much decided on Warwick because thats the course I like the best.. but I keep wondering if I made the right choice keeping in mind employability. The Edinburgh and York courses seem to be more selective as their academic condition was higher.. but then again I do like the Warwick course the best. Am I making the right decision?

Any help is much appreciated.. thanks!

Warwick

go with what you want and plus its a great university, from what ive seen and heard anyway
I've never seen a post-grad advice thing so obsessed by league tables. Check the academics that you'll be taught by, the facilities and the course itself. They should be the main factors, really.
Reply 15
Sang_P
I thought Edinburgh was better in research by far.. Thanks.. that makes me feel a little better about my choice!

I'm surprised you see things that way. Warwick has as far as I'm aware always performed better than Edinburgh in the Research Assesssment Exercises. My perception of things was that I always saw Warwick as being a better insitution than Edinbrugh although this may be due to my strong bias for mathematics. Despite the many flaws of league tables, it cannot be ignored that Warwick has never been outside the top 10 of any national university ranking whilst Edinburgh doesn't often make it into the top 10.

Check out the way both institutions were ranked on the wikipedia pages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Warwick#Rankings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Edinburgh#Rankings
Reply 16
IeuanF
I've never seen a post-grad advice thing so obsessed by league tables. Check the academics that you'll be taught by, the facilities and the course itself. They should be the main factors, really.

Fair enough, I really shouldn't be citing league tables and I feel a bit silly doing so. But for some reason the OP sees Edinburgh as being a much better institution than Warwick so there are not many ways I can think of to convince the OP that this is not true apart from citing RAE results and mentioning countless league tables in which Warwick has almost always performed better.
Reply 17
FlyingIsis
They are all excellent unis so well done.
I would favour Warwick personally as I think it has the edge reputation wise. Edinburgh and York are nicer places to live, but seeing as it's just a year I wouldn't figure that into it too much. If I remember rightly, Edinburgh comes out on top RAE wise, but not by much.

Thats exactly why I'm not quite bothered about the location.. its just a year.. I'm only concerned about overall reputation etc.. thanks for weighing in!
Reply 18
Krush
it cannot be ignored that Warwick has never been outside the top 10 of any national university ranking whilst Edinburgh doesn't often make it into the top 10.

I agree with that.. its probably part of the reason I am leaning towards Warwick. Edinburgh ranks better for biological sciences and IT I think.. which is what my course their would've consisted of. But then I'm thinking Warwick's reputation for business should make up for that.. my course at Warwick is jointly administered by WBS.

The only thing is though.. Warwick's offer to me was a lot lower than Edinburgh and York. I wonder why.

Ahh.. too many questions.. lol.. I'm just gonna stick with Warwick I think.
Reply 19
Sang_P,

All the three unis are very well respected in the UK as well as internationally. But personally, I think the Warwick brand carries more weight than either Edinburgh and York does whether that would be in the UK or internationally. That and the fact that you prefer the program at Warwick makes it the clear winner.

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending