Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keep anon or delete.

For the last 3 nights I've had some really awful dreams.
    One was where I finally met my step mum & she told me that she didn't really want to do me any harm. I woke up crying because that will never happen.
    Another one was where I met Princess Diana & told her that she shouldn't marry Prince Charles. I don't understand where that dream came from but it made me feel lousy.
    The last one was where I was embraced by my younger sibling [who is 15] & we ended up getting on really well. That made me cry in the morning.

So yeah. I don't really want to go to sleep tonight. Is there anything you can recommend me that might lead to a happier night's sleep?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think there is any way of trying to get to the point where you can turn off a bad dream or a good one. Possibly try and go to bed with a positive look on things, if you can. It may possibly be that you are now in a vicious cycle abit, you worry about having a bad dream so you get the bas dream, or something that is bad.

As dreams are more or less uncontrollable, it isnt really possible to say do this, or do that to stop them. If they do persist, you could try talking to your GP about them, but hopefully it will be a short stint of bas dreams and it will be back to normal soon.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, it's a difficult one - I think it's really difficult to control our dreams.
    I think we can sometimes do things to influence them though. I'd suggest just watching something really feel-good before you go to bed, or reading a book with an uplifting plot.
    Write down any concerns you might have before you go to bed so they're not stuck going around in your head, and you know you can deal with whatever you write down in the morning.
    Also, you could try meditating or proper relaxation to free your mind of unnecessary crap before bed.
    Sorry there's not much to suggest, good luck though - I know what it's like to have horrible dreams and I take medication that can make them really bad as well, the above is just what I try and do.

ReputationRep:
    I really reccomend some of the podcasts on this site:

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/infor...eing-podcasts/

I got advised to listen to them by a nurse at my Doctors Surgery because I was having difficulty with sleep and routine and some of them really do seem to help you drift off and feel positive!

ReputationRep:
    I know kinda how you feel! Ive had some weird dreams really, I kinda find the whole idea of sleep n that weird anyway after learning more about it, neva found a way to stop what my dreams are about tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Keep anon or delete.

For the last 3 nights I've had some really awful dreams.
    One was where I finally met my step mum & she told me that she didn't really want to do me any harm. I woke up crying because that will never happen.
    Another one was where I met Princess Diana & told her that she shouldn't marry Prince Charles. I don't understand where that dream came from but it made me feel lousy.
    The last one was where I was embraced by my younger sibling [who is 15] & we ended up getting on really well. That made me cry in the morning.

So yeah. I don't really want to go to sleep tonight. Is there anything you can recommend me that might lead to a happier night's sleep?

counting sheep :sheep:

ReputationRep:
    I regularly have several nights in a row where I dream so much and so vividly it doesn't feel like I've been to sleep, and they're rarely pleasant experiences. I have wondered before whether it's a hormonal thing, as I can roughly predict when I'm going to get these 'sessions'... they last about three to four nights and then I'm back to my usual routine of not remembering my dreams at all.

It's possible you're waking up at the wrong time in your sleep cycles. If it bothers you fpor more than a week or two, I'm pretty sure your doctor could give you something to help you sleep more deeply for longer.

ReputationRep:
    Google 'Lucid Dreaming'?

ReputationRep:
    watch a funny movie before you got to bed..this always helps me..

ReputationRep:
    as hard as it is, try not to think about it because if you're expecting a bad dream you will almost certainly have one.

i find that putting my laptop on the timer and watching something that sounds relaxing (no sudden loud noises or music, usually frasier for me) until I drift off helps as my mind is in a better place than if i try falling asleep expecting something horrible and having a huge build up where i get more and more worked up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.