Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been told by many actual dentistry first year students that if you fail one exam all of them have to retaken in the summer. This is very strange and only applies to dentists not medics or other courses to my knowledge.

Does anyone know if any other universities have the same policy?

ReputationRep:
    If you failed one medicine exam in our first year, you had to retake all of them. (This is Leicester med school we are talking about btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    If you failed one medicine exam in our first year, you had to retake all of them. (This is Leicester med school we are talking about btw)
    Do you know of any other uni's with the policy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.sarwar7)
    Do you know of any other uni's with the policy?
    mm I think dentistry and Bristol might be the same, although Im not sure on that one. And maybe medicine at Birmingham/Nottingham?

Im not sure on that at all however.

ReputationRep:
    I think Glasgow was the same - well sort off.

If we failed the written then we'd have to resit them all including the practical osce. However, if we just failed the osce then we just resat that single exam by itself. It's something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Pls if anyone knows any other unis that do this pls let me know and even if your uni doesn't pls say it doesn't so i know.

This will be a major factor in my choices so this is very important.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Why would the ratake policy be a major factor in deciding which institute you apply to? Surely if you work hard whilst studying the degree, you should pass.
    thats a dumb thing to say, you can always with hard work do an exam and not get the grade of your capabilities, for that bit of bad luck I do not want to retake all my exams

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    well its my choice

ReputationRep:
    well its my choice
    agree with wisdom tooth there, to be honest its a rather silly factor to use when deciding what uni to apply to. Is the appearance of the dental school another major factor for you? It seems that you have already defeated yourself in thinking that you are going to fail the exam/s because they are sooo hard which is the worst attitude to have in the first place. Maybe having the retake policy is a good thing to ensure that all students actually work hard for their exams. If you learn everything you are taught with a little bit of light background reading than the exams should be a doddle. Just an opinion mind you.

ReputationRep:
    well i opened this thread to find out which uni's had the policy, don't really need a lecture

well i opened this thread to find out which uni's had the policy, don't really need a lecture
    Only trying to help pal.

ReputationRep:
    I have been told by many actual dentistry first year students that if you fail one exam all of them have to retaken in the summer. This is very strange and only applies to dentists not medics or other courses to my knowledge.

Does anyone know if any other universities have the same policy?
    Stay positive - it sounds like you have thrown in the towel and you haven't even started the course!!!!!!!!

As far as I am aware KCL want everyone to get through - they will help you as much as possible - the rest is up to you.

PS

Luck should not come into it - I am sure my future patients will expect so anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i think (but nt sure so dnt quote me on this) that bham have the same policy for dentistry!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.