Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically for around the past year I have been suffering quite regularly with very swollen feet.

This usually happens throughout the day at least once or twice a week (so its definately not an evening end of the day thing) and can cause me loads of discomfort and very tight shoes!

Once every few months they also become extremely swollen where it becomes impossible to wear most shoes and I can't put my front toes on the ground or walk properly.

I've been to the doctors about it, but they seemed as baffled as I am and just told me to go to A&E every time it gets that bad again - but told me its pointless doing blood tests until they get completely massive again.

Anyway - does anyone else suffer from this and what have you done to help it?
    Is it likely this is water retention or a circulation issue? If so is it probable that something I'm doing is causing the big swell ups?

ReputationRep:
    I too am quite baffled by it, but I reckon sleeping with your feet elevated could help, on top of a couple of pillows or something. Other than that I'm cluless!

ReputationRep:
    I get really bad swallen feet, was sent to see a vascular consaltant at the hospital and he diagnosed me with lymphoedema.
    This is there website if you want a look to see if it applies to you:
    http://www.lymphoedema.org/lsn/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animals)
    I get really bad swallen feet, was sent to see a vascular consaltant at the hospital and he diagnosed me with lymphoedema.
    This is there website if you want a look to see if it applies to you:
    http://www.lymphoedema.org/lsn/index.html
    Intresting! It could well be something like that, as I have had problems with my Lymph nodes and have had one suspicious one removed from my neck already.

Went to the doctors after a particularly bad swell up a few days ago - almost had to go to A&E it was so bad - and will find out the results on wednesday (liver, kidney, thyroid). I'm either going to be put on a low level of Thyroxine or a Diuretic. Will have to see how it goes

If anyone has any advice or knowledge I'd be really greatful!

ReputationRep:
    It does sound like possible oedema.

Oedema (various sorts and causes) is where fluid builds up between your cells (called interstitial fluid) causing swelling. Normally there is a balance between water moving out of your blood stream into the interstitium, and this water being removed by the lymphatic system (which then sieves it then pours it all back into your blood stream in your neck).

If water moves out of your blood too quickly, caused by dodgy protein levels and high blood pressure for example, or is poorly drained, caused by a lymph blockage, then swelling ensues.

Feet are particularly prone as they are the lowest point of your body therefore the most difficult to drain.

I'm not sure why the swelling would only come on occassionally though - oedema is normally a permanent condition (when not treated).

Does the swelling occur after a day of sitting around? Or after hard exercise?

ReputationRep:
    also... i'd be very surprised if the doctor didn't spot it as oedema...

ReputationRep:
    you might have Contact dermatitis.
    I've had it everyday on my feet for over 6 years now.
    Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.
    I know I get it very easily, from shoes, certain blankets, socks.
    My reaction is a bit more dramatic then others with it. I get big, uneven, purple and red colored bruises and bumps all over the top of my foot and down the sides. (not very attractive, especially when you have a flat, skinny foot like me...Blergh! D:>)
    Perhaps put more padding in your shoes so it doesn't rub against your skin too much? Or try more open shoes that wont let your feet sweat.
    I hope you find the answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)
    It does sound like possible oedema.

Oedema (various sorts and causes) is where fluid builds up between your cells (called interstitial fluid) causing swelling. Normally there is a balance between water moving out of your blood stream into the interstitium, and this water being removed by the lymphatic system (which then sieves it then pours it all back into your blood stream in your neck).

If water moves out of your blood too quickly, caused by dodgy protein levels and high blood pressure for example, or is poorly drained, caused by a lymph blockage, then swelling ensues.

Feet are particularly prone as they are the lowest point of your body therefore the most difficult to drain.

I'm not sure why the swelling would only come on occassionally though - oedema is normally a permanent condition (when not treated).

Does the swelling occur after a day of sitting around? Or after hard exercise?
    It doesnt happen over anything like walking or sitting around, it just randomly crops up now and again for no reason. When they puff up though its majorly, ive been at the stage of nearly going to casualty quite a few times. My foot goes at least twice the size, bruises and i cant move my toes sometimes.

The doctor has said it is Edema but is running further tests to see what is causing it!

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's oedema then, as your doctor will probably tell you, raising your feet should help take some of the pressure away.

There are other treatments such as massage to force to fluid back into your blood, or compression bandages to wear for a while - im sure your Dr can tell you more.

ReputationRep:
    btw... when they puff up how long do they stay like that for? and how quickly does it come on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)
    btw... when they puff up how long do they stay like that for? and how quickly does it come on?
    It comes up within a few hours, worsens over around 2 days and then lasts around another three so usually around 5 days in total. Sometimes its almost impossible for me to walk

ReputationRep:
    Swollen feet is caused by fluid build up in the tissues, which is then pulled to the feet through gravity.

Some points to consider:

- Do you eat a diet full in carbs or salt?
    - Do you take the pill or hormone replacement therapy pills?
    - How much sodium do you eat? It could be sodium retention
    - Hvae you damaged your ankle muscles?
    - Have you ever abused laxatives, diuretics or drugs?

You can reduce the effects by:

- Putting your feet up
    - Reducing the amount of salt in your diet
    - Drinkin plenty of water
    - Using support stockings
    - Doing regular exercise
    - Avoid standing in one place for a long period of time.

If this fails, see your doc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.