Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend who i was with at the time committed a crime and at first was let off for it due lack of evidence (this person was drunk btw) but a few minutes later i was persuaded by the officers to give a witness statement saying this person did it or we would both be arrested (due to this person harassing them and mouthing off)....this is what they told me....
    This scared me and i freaked out and basically told all at the station, as i do not want a criminal record, i want to do something with my life, this person is my best friend but they have no life direction...just get drunk all the time and do stupid things (hence why they were arrested for this childish crime) and i was also drunk at the time but did not partake in the crime, so i gave the statement....it is going to court i believe as they pleaded not guilty....
    this person now wants me to retract it but im hesitant as i dont want to be charged with wasting police time or anything and im a very nervous person anyway when it comes to police, i do not want to really go to the police station again and say why i want to retract, i feel bad for doing the statement in the first place...it's making me unwell all this stress...i just don't know what to do. any advice would be appreciative xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Tell your friend to shove it. You shouldn't go to jail for his/her stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess you just have to stick with your guns and don't retract your statement.

What an awkward position to be in, but I guess you don't want to bring yourself down by getting in trouble for a crime you haven't committed.

Prepare for a barrage of "omg you grass, you should stick with ya mate" though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Well I guess you just have to stick with your guns and don't retract your statement.

What an awkward position to be in, but I guess you don't want to bring yourself down by getting in trouble for a crime you haven't committed.

Prepare for a barrage of "omg you grass, you should stick with ya mate" though.
    Yeah my thoughts keep changing, one side or the other...it's annoying and believe me i have already got the "your a grass" off my other friends but it is used in a jokey way and they even said it was the right thing to do..which i was shocked about but made me feel a bit better on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    DO what you think is best and don't let other people pressure you into retracting your statement. Prepare for the omg you grass though but don't let it intimidate you and put you off. You never know this might give your friend the kick up the rear end they need (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taurine_ox)
    My friend who i was with at the time committed a crime and at first was let off for it due lack of evidence (this person was drunk btw) but a few minutes later i was persuaded by the officers to give a witness statement saying this person did it or we would both be arrested (due to this person harassing them and mouthing off)....this is what they told me....
    If there aint enough evidence to charge one person, they sure as hell aint going to find more evidence by arresting someone else! Should have accept the threat and kept quiet imo. You have a right to remain silent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    If there aint enough evidence to charge one person, they sure as hell aint going to find more evidence by arresting someone else! Should have accept the threat and kept quiet imo. You have a right to remain silent.
    Yeah i realise that now lol it was because i was put on the spot and i was drunk, i just sort of had a breakdown, my mind went blank :| it was weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Tell your friend to shove it. You shouldn't go to jail for his/her stupidity.
    ditto

if theyre your real friend then theyll make sure you dont go down too and wont risk affecting your criminal record (which can have significant impacts on your life)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.