Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all you clever people, just a quick question.

If one were to apply for a joint honours degree, say English and history, how does the interview work? Would you be given separate history and English interviews the same as candidates for single honours or are the interviews more encompassing of both subjects. Further to this, is it possible to be rejected for your joint school, for example English and history, but subsequently be offered a place to study solely English or solely history?

Also, if anyone could share any other info that'd be fantabidosy.
    Thanks. :top:

ReputationRep:
    You'd have separate interviews.

And I think you can be offered a place for just one course, though I could be wrong so don't take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    You get interviews with both sets of subject tutors, separately rather than together, and yes, you could get an offer for either History or English if they looked at you and thought, "Hmm, joint school? That boy ain't right."

(I absolutely love King of the Hill)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hank Hill)

If one were to apply for a joint honours degree, say English and history, how does the interview work? Would you be given separate history and English interviews the same as candidates for single honours or are the interviews more encompassing of both subjects. Further to this, is it possible to be rejected for your joint school, for example English and history, but subsequently be offered a place to study solely English or solely history?
    You'll have two separate sets of interviews. As far as I can see, joint schools at Oxford (with the exception of PPE perhaps) seem to very much be a juxtaposition of two separate subjects; this is not to say that they don't go together or overlap, just that tutors have to be convinced that you have the aptitude to do equally well in both subject areas. If tutors think you have the potential to do very well in a single honours but don't have the right profile for the other branch of the joint honours you originally applied for, then there is the possibility of you being offered a place for single honours. I've heard of this happening more in modern foreign languages (i.e. someone applies for French and Spanish but is offered a place for French sole, for example) but it is theoretically possible in other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pf1)

(I absolutely love King of the Hill)
    It's possibly the most underrated show in existence.

So is it a case of essentially 'passing' both interviews and getting the go-ahead from both the English and history faculties separately or will your English interviewers be on the lookout for historical flair and vice-versa?

Thanks for the help folks!

ReputationRep:
    It's possibly the most underrated show in existence.

So is it a case of essentially 'passing' both interviews and getting the go-ahead from both the English and history faculties separately or will your English interviewers be on the lookout for historical flair and vice-versa?

Thanks for the help folks!
    I think it is very much proving yourself capable in both disciplines, rather than the interviewers particularly looking for "interdisciplinary" application skills.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said each set of tutors will be looking out for their own interests. For something like languages obviously there's a lot of overlap but, assuming your History and English question was specific to you, for two less related subjects they are far less concerned with your ability in the other subject, as they have the power to offer you a non-JH place (which does happen quite regularly - it's a common question, especially in History joint schools for some reason 'would you be prepared to accept a place for just History?')

ReputationRep:
    Right. Thanks for the help everyone!

ReputationRep:
    While I had separate interviews at my first choice college for separate subjects, I had a "joint" interview at Magdalen as my third interview. I *think* there was one Maths tutor and one CompSci tutor present, although I never found out.

Anyway, point is: joint interviews are possible (albeit rare)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy_Mikki)
    Anyway, point is: joint interviews are possible (albeit rare)!
    I'd have thought that they're even rarer in subjects that aren't as closely related (at least at interview stage) as maths and comp sci.

ReputationRep:
    But Oxford compsci is basically very applied maths - the compsci tutors care a lot about your Maths ability so it doesn't surprise me they'd want a mathmo's opinion!

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my degree in History and English and I had joint interviews - both interviews 1 history tutor and 1 english tutor were present. But I know that for HEng, lots of applicants get offered a single honours course because they are better at one subject than the other, or dont seem passionate about the interdisciplinary side of the course - the worst answer you can give when asked "why History and English?" is -" I love them both, I just couldnt choose between them". Thats why statistically, (I think this is still the case) it seems that HEng has the lowest success rate - because this percentage doesnt incorporate all those applicants who are offered single honours places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PolkaDotSoph)
    I just finished my degree in History and English and I had joint interviews - both interviews 1 history tutor and 1 english tutor were present. But I know that for HEng, lots of applicants get offered a single honours course because they are better at one subject than the other, or dont seem passionate about the interdisciplinary side of the course - the worst answer you can give when asked "why History and English?" is -" I love them both, I just couldnt choose between them". Thats why statistically, (I think this is still the case) it seems that HEng has the lowest success rate - because this percentage doesnt incorporate all those applicants who are offered single honours places.
    HEng looks like Historical Engineering.

"Build me a bridge with sticks and flint!" :p:

I'm guessing a decent answer for the why apply for joint honours question would be to try to explain to them why you think the two subjects go well together?

ReputationRep:
    So it is fairly common to be offered a place for just one aspect of the course when applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    HEng looks like Historical Engineering.

"Build me a bridge with sticks and flint!" :p:

I'm guessing a decent answer for the why apply for joint honours question would be to try to explain to them why you think the two subjects go well together?
    Yes! Thats if you do think that. If not, there are unis that offer joint honours HEng that just split the subjects 50/50, no interdisciplinary stuff - and thats a better place to go for many people. Oxford's course is unique, and very small (11 in my year) so you have to want it! Look at the prospectus (I am the student in the profile - so I would say that - haha!) to look at the course itself - that is what you should be talking about. Because - at the end of the day - you are talking to tutors who teach one subject or the other - they know why their subject is great, they are trying to understand why single honours isnt "good enough" for you! I cant count how many times tutors have challenged my joint honours status during my time at Oxford. You have to know why you want it! Have some literary and historical examples perhaps, and dont just say you need context to understand literature - the subjects are mutually informative, literature is not inferior to history! Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    So it is fairly common to be offered a place for just one aspect of the course when applying?
    Yes, very! And often people drop one subject and choose to do single honours once they get here - the demands of a joint honours course are very different to single honours. Its not for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Thats if you do think that. If not, there are unis that offer joint honours HEng that just split the subjects 50/50, no interdisciplinary stuff - and thats a better place to go for many people. Oxford's course is unique, and very small (11 in my year) so you have to want it! Look at the prospectus (I am the student in the profile - so I would say that - haha!) to look at the course itself - that is what you should be talking about. Because - at the end of the day - you are talking to tutors who teach one subject or the other - they know why their subject is great, they are trying to understand why single honours isnt "good enough" for you! I cant count how many times tutors have challenged my joint honours status during my time at Oxford. You have to know why you want it! Have some literary and historical examples perhaps, and dont just say you need context to understand literature - the subjects are mutually informative, literature is not inferior to history! Does that help?
    I'm not applying for History and English but thanks.

History and Politics for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    I'm not applying for History and English but thanks.

History and Politics for me.
    Good lad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.