Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete please.

Im in Lower Sixth, applying for 2010.

Basically, I've been thinking about medicine a lot again recently... I considered it before in January but without Chemistry/Biology, I kind of just cast the idea aside and applied for something I thought I might stand a chance of getting admitted into - Computer Science, which although I would be happy to study but I'm not sure whether it's what I REALLY want to do.

Anyway, I've been thinking about premedical degrees - but of course it's ridiculously late now, considering UCAS deadlines. I have some work experience - Hospital Volounteering/Red Cross, but that is about it. Do you think it's worth pursuing over the summer? Is it too late to even bother thinking about it now?

Is it a lost cause? Would I be better off just applying for a "safer" option, rather than applying for pre-med, applying once for CS and taking a gamble on not getting any offers?

Should I consider gap year and apply 2011?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProxyLee)
    Anon or delete please.

Im in Lower Sixth, applying for 2010.

Basically, I've been thinking about medicine a lot again recently... I considered it before in January but without Chemistry/Biology, I kind of just cast the idea aside and applied for something I thought I might stand a chance of getting admitted into - Computer Science, which although I would be happy to study but I'm not sure whether it's what I REALLY want to do.

Anyway, I've been thinking about premedical degrees - but of course it's ridiculously late now, considering UCAS deadlines. I have some work experience - Hospital Volounteering/Red Cross, but that is about it. Do you think it's worth pursuing over the summer? Is it too late to even bother thinking about it now?

Is it a lost cause? Would I be better off just applying for a "safer" option, rather than applying for pre-med, applying once for CS and taking a gamble on not getting any offers?

Should I consider gap year and apply 2011?
    Anon fail.

ReputationRep:
    better late than never !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Anon fail.
    Aww so you quoted them. That was nice of you!

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, as long as I get advice rather than mocked I don't care

ReputationRep:
    If you get the grades I think you should consider applying for a foundation course if you know its what you want. You've got some experience already and its not about quantity its about what you gained from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    If you get the grades I think you should consider applying for a foundation course if you know its what you want. You've got some experience already and its not about quantity its about what you gained from it.
    Agree + you still have time to find some more. Get ringing round! Charity work is most likely this late notice - check out Vitalise/league of friends/other hospital volunteering

ReputationRep:
    Apply for one of the 6 year courses that includes a foundation year. No idea why you felt the need to try and post anon though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, how many should I apply for do you think? Risk 4? Apply for 2?

How do I write my PS - orient it towards medicine or make it safe by orientating it to CS which I may stand a chance in?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, how many should I apply for do you think? Risk 4? Apply for 2?

How do I write my PS - orient it towards medicine or make it safe by orientating it to CS which I may stand a chance in?
    You wont get into medicine unless your PS is 100% medicine. Apply for 4 & apply for CS as your fifth as a back up. Most places will accept that your PS is about medicine & they will ask you about it (be prepared to answer why youve applied for medicine and CS) but people get into nottingham, UCL, even Oxford with a PS unrelated to the course they're applying for. Transferable skills etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, as long as I get advice rather than mocked I don't care
    Go for it.. Do anything NOW!

I had personal problems going on which prevented me from doing voluntary work etc. during school..

I applied last week.. And I am starting next week at a hospice!

ReputationRep:
    Well I've basically decided what the hell I'll apply for 3/4 premed and then use spare options as backup.

Basically, now to choose uni's and sort out everything I can - I assume I need a UKCAT? Also, can anyone suggest premed uni's - I don't qualify for any kind of means tested or widening access programs.

Im going to look at vitalise but can only do it in October half term (post-UCAS app.), shall i state my plans on my PS?

Where else should I look? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You might find this website useful - you can see which universities offer the foundation course, which of these require the UKCAT etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks , I would be really interested to hear from people who do foundation med - why they did it over A100? what there entry profiles were like etc.

ReputationRep:
    Have sent you a PM

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.