Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if one of the fitness regulars could give me some help on my squat form.

Im going to join a gym when i move in september - so for now I'm just using barbell/dumbbells in my room and without a squat rack i cant squat much(as you'll see). Im trying to get my form right though and hopefully build some muscle aswell so that when i go to the gym i don't have to start from the beginning.

Sorry for a) the quality of the video (4 year old phone with a 1.3 mp camera)
    and b) It being horizontal :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZQPoA9jWM

Thanks. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You could learn how to deadlift properly first so you dont pick up loaded bars like that ever again, for a start.

As for the squat I cba atm, im tired will get back to you

ReputationRep:
    so much wrong

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't pick the barbell up like that; Tad's right.

I hate horizontal videos.

It looks like you're doing a high-bar squat; but kind of hard to tell. You're knees look like they're coming too far forward; this can give you problems. Try to not let your knees slide too far forward over your toes.

If you're lucky, some of the big squatters here will give you some pointers. But no one likes to watch the screen with their head to the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yeah, don't pick the barbell up like that; Tad's right.

I hate horizontal videos.

It looks like you're doing a high-bar squat; but kind of hard to tell. You're knees look like they're coming too far forward; this can give you problems. Try to not let your knees slide too far forward over your toes.

If you're lucky, some of the big squatters here will give you some pointers. But no one likes to watch the screen with their head to the side.
    Yeh, it was the only way i could balance my phone on the window ledge.

Thanks for the help though.

ReputationRep:
    How do you manage to stick to the wall like that, are you Spiderman?

ReputationRep:
    call me twisted but i thought this was a discussion in the way that if ppl hav to squat to go to the toilet how they do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    call me twisted but i thought this was a discussion in the way that if ppl hav to squat to go to the toilet how they do it
    haha

(Original post by red_alerts)
    How do you manage to stick to the wall like that, are you Spiderman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    Pop-a-Squat.

ReputationRep:
    You can start by squatting more than you can clean and press over your head. You can get a bunch of good tips from much better squatters than me around here, but you're unlikely to either do yourself any damage or see much progress squatting that kind of weight.

ReputationRep:
    The squat doesn't look too bad from what I can see, which isn't much. If you're not on your toes and your knees are out, it's not a bad squat, except for being too light. Pretty quad dominant I suppose, which isn't too big a deal unless you're planning to compete in powerlifting.

ReputationRep:
    your breaking with your knees, stop doing that asap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpLj5MlN5M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandhu)
    your breaking with your knees, stop doing that asap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpLj5MlN5M
    B, b, b, but "Rippetoe" says to break with knees and hips at the same time?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    go slower, not just so that you are actualy working your muscles, but so that you can observe your motions. If your squating for the first time, you shouldn't be looking straight, but looking down. But don't get into this habit, its only good for getting the right form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    B, b, b, but "Rippetoe" says to break with knees and hips at the same time?!?!?!?
    i don't think rippetoe says that, but the OP isn't doing that anyway. the load shouldn't be on your knees, ouch.

ReputationRep:
    I only do squats with my PT with weight, otherwise I do them with balance trainer/wobble board. All of these are to build up my knee strength for running. However, when I saw your vid I would say one thing: your bum needs to go further back, make sure chest facing forward and this will stop knees going too far forward, you will also deffo feel it in your butt. Lunges: move up and down with bum/body, squats move your bum back!

ReputationRep:
    i don't think rippetoe says that, but the OP isn't doing that anyway. the load shouldn't be on your knees, ouch.
    I thought he did, but I'd have to look it up. I think he's one of the few that say that. But definitely not the knees first.

EDIT: I think KK's 1003 lb squat he breaks at the hips and knees at the same time; but that's a 1RM so not strictly one to follow for training.

ReputationRep:
    i think you have sitting back and "breaking with the knees" mixed up?

ReputationRep:
    i think you have sitting back and "breaking with the knees" mixed up?
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/texas_bbq.htm

This is where I saw it:

Craig Rasmussen, CSCS: Let’s move on to a something that confused me a bit in Starting Strength. You mention that when descending on the back squat, you want the forward travel of the knees (dorsi flexion) to occur toward the beginning of the movement rather than occurring at the bottom of the movement, correct?

Mark Rippetoe: What I want is the forward movement of the knees to occur at the beginning at the top.

CR: So you initiate the descent with the knees breaking first, before the hips?

MR: No, the knees break at the same time the hips break. The knees then quit moving forward when they get as far as they will go.

CR: I’m glad you cleared that up. I was almost under the impression that you wanted the knee break to occur prior to the hips breaking, and this surprised me.

MR: No, the knees do not break before the hips break. It is simultaneous. The best way to handle this is not to tell them to go forward with the knees but coach them to push the knees out. If they go out, they’ll break properly. The set of cues for each set of individual errors may be completely different. Some people I have to tell to bounce out of the bottom of the squat, some I have to say don’t bounce. Some people will over do things. I know how I want it to look and then I have to explain that to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    You can start by squatting more than you can clean and press over your head. You can get a bunch of good tips from much better squatters than me around here, but you're unlikely to either do yourself any damage or see much progress squatting that kind of weight.
    I was thinking that. I can't overhead press anywhere near as much as i can squat. Need to use a squat rack?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.