Turn on thread page Beta

Squat form watch

ReputationRep:
    Kirk Karwoski breaks at the knees first, the whole don't break at the knees thing is rubbish.

Witness how his arse is close to his heels so hasn't 'sat back'

And look at how his knee is over his toes.

All against what manual say eh, but so much is and somehow these guys lift massive weights - wonder why eh

Sandy Ray actually got me to break at the knees first as I was going hips first, and that immediatly threw me out of line.

ReputationRep:
    Christ his legs are massive. I suppose it depends on what works best for you sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Your music is ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Christ his legs are massive. I suppose it depends on what works best for you sometimes
    it may work, first man to officially squat 1000lbs and recently after coming out of retirement in a raw meet hitting

for a 925 total at 40 years of age is pretty good in my estimation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    it may work, first man to officially squat 1000lbs and recently after coming out of retirement in a raw meet hitting

365kg
    210kg
    350kg

for a 925kg total at 40 years of age is pretty good in my estimation.
    Yes?

ReputationRep:
    Definately, amazing really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yes?
    Indeedy

ReputationRep:
    yeah but theres plenty of freaks out there who do things there own way matt and kirk is def one, steve goggins, konstantine konstanovs etc, its harder to squat heavy breaking at the knees and since most people want to lift more it's not the worst advice in the world lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Indeedy
    Maybe when he's 80 it will be pounds, the swole ******.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sandhu)
    yeah but theres plenty of freaks out there who do things there own way matt and kirk is def one, steve goggins, konstantine konstanovs etc, its harder to squat heavy breaking at the knees and since most people want to lift more it's not the worst advice in the world lol.
    http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-p...upthesquat.pdf

"Many people can handle this type of squatting without any knee trouble. Heck, look at all the successful Olympic lifters! If you can squat this way without pain, then by all means continue. However, if you are powerlifting it makes no sense to squat this way.

By continuing to squat with this form, you are limiting the amount of weight you can move. How many successful squatters have used this form? I can think of 2 right of hand: Kirk Karwoski and Robert Wagner. How many successful squatters use a wide stance? I cant even count them all-but I will show a few as the article goes on.

This type of squatting uses the quads as the primary mover. That is great if your goal is to have big quads! If you want a big total though, you need to incorporate them muscles of the hips, glutes, hamstrings, and low back. Lets face it-the hips are a powerful ally in the squat war. Squatting this close does not take advantage of them."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

"Many people can handle this type of squatting without any knee trouble. Heck, look at all the successful Olympic lifters! If you can squat this way without pain, then by all means continue. However, if you are powerlifting it makes no sense to squat this way.

By continuing to squat with this form, you are limiting the amount of weight you can move. How many successful squatters have used this form? I can think of 2 right of hand: Kirk Karwoski and Robert Wagner. How many successful squatters use a wide stance? I cant even count them all-but I will show a few as the article goes on.

This type of squatting uses the quads as the primary mover. That is great if your goal is to have big quads! If you want a big total though, you need to incorporate them muscles of the hips, glutes, hamstrings, and low back. Lets face it-the hips are a powerful ally in the squat war. Squatting this close does not take advantage of them."
    makes sense, i think that says it well, but if matt and ray say that the textbooks aren't strictly true then i'll take that on board because they're both very swole squatters. many oly lifters smash huge weights on squat when they train it, like near 1000lbs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There are always exceptions to the rule and many of the wide stance squats you will see are too wide for a raw lifter that has to walk out his squats ... but widening my stance and breaking with the hips primarily allowed me to squat more. My stance is 34" wide and my knees most definitely do travel forward since I'm a raw lifter but reading articles such as the one I linked to, Squat RX stuff and Dave Tate's stuff definitely helped my alter my form a bit to get to a stance that is mechanically superior for me to shift bigger weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

"By continuing to squat with this form, you are limiting the amount of weight you can move. How many successful squatters have used this form? I can think of 2 right of hand: Kirk Karwoski and Robert Wagner. How many successful squatters use a wide stance? I cant even count them all-but I will show a few as the article goes on."
    Damn, I didn't know Number 2 was a power lifter?!? :eek:

Here is in the old days:

ReputationRep:
    The question is, does the OP care how much he squats?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Aye he does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Everyone cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandhu)
    It's written theory mate, not practice

Del 445 br squat - knees break a fraction before hips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87EF0qTcTI0

Andy Bolton winning WPO title - knees break a fraction before
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLX7yx8gixY

Ed Coan in his farwell meet - knees break a fraction before
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632dLyvtqAU

Think about this, if you are locked out at the top, your legs are straight.
    You break the hips back so are basically in a good morning position before you break at the knees which will make you lean forward, a problem you had if i remember.

You can sit back, but only in kit, and only in double ply or canvas you should not do it raw you should sit down.

ReputationRep:
    so, what's knee breaking then? It sounds painfull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    I was thinking that. I can't overhead press anywhere near as much as i can squat. Need to use a squat rack?
    As i said in my opening post, dont have a squat rack - joining a gym when a move so just focusing on form while i can.

(Original post by burningnun)
    Not sure what you are meaning here...

Do you mean in this example i dont care that its low because im just doing it for form? If so, yes.

Do you mean, I dont care about improving? If so, why would i post for advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Everyone cares.
    Everyone who squats cares about getting stronger to at least some extent, but not everyone cares about the absolute max weight they can squat.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.