Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend showed me some gore website on his computer the other day, and I really wasn't that shocked. Some of the pictures/videos were horrific, but to my surprise, I (a) didn't turn away or feel utterly repulsed/sick, albeit a slight moment of thinking 'yuck' and (b) didn't feel much emotion.

Of course, I didn't like the pictures/videos.. but fascination got the best of me.

Am I alone in this?

Do you think that horror movies and video games have desensitised the younger generation? Isn't this a bad thing, doesn't it make us lose some of our humanity and empathy?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The internet has done this to me.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick when my brother describes these sorts of videos to me. I couldn't watch them. The people who can watch them, ie the sort of videos which are out there which involve human beings being tortured to death, Are usually either;

- Just saying they can hack it to look cool
    - Completely unempathetic, cold people

I'd lose sleep for weeks if someone made me watch one of those, and i'm not getting on an e-warrior high horse either, I really mean it. Just hearing about them can play on my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's all the internet and tv that does this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    'd lose sleep for weeks if someone made me watch one of those, and i'm not getting on an e-warrior high horse either, I really mean it. Just hearing about them can play on my mind.
    This. Out of interest OP, why the hell were you watching gore videos with a mate

ReputationRep:
    no, I can't stomach really gorey stuff at all :no:

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Most of my friends find it a little weird that I don't even flinch at things that make them cringe or feel queasy but I think i've seen so many gory images/videos (of both fictional and real life categories) that it would take something pretty disturbing to affect me. Gory movies generally just make me laugh if anything.
    The BME pain Olympics (even though it was a hoax) and One man One jar videos were fine for me. One man One screwdriver made me go "WTF???" a little but it most certainly didn't make me react the way some of the people in those youtube reaction videos do. To be honest though I think the majority of them act up for more views...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, probably for images on a screen, perhaps less so for real life.

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone.

I guess I'm less sensitive than the average person I would say - only regarding online material though.

Never experienced anything close in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I've watched beheadings, torturings of both animals and humans, and a lot of the time in scenes in movies where people are being tortured I get a slap from my girlfriend for laughing. I blame the internet and the Distorted View podcast. Mainly the former, the latter is used for relaxing.

ReputationRep:
    i feel the same, one man one jar, kids in a sandbox all left me feeling oddly undisturbed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    This. Out of interest OP, why the hell were you watching gore videos with a mate
    For the same reason people watch 2 Girls 1 Cup.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick when my brother describes these sorts of videos to me. I couldn't watch them. The people who can watch them, ie the sort of videos which are out there which involve human beings being tortured to death, Are usually either;

- Just saying they can hack it to look cool
    - Completely unempathetic, cold people

I'd lose sleep for weeks if someone made me watch one of those, and i'm not getting on an e-warrior high horse either, I really mean it. Just hearing about them can play on my mind.
    Lol thats not true, your just weak. Lose sleep for weeks? Are you being serious or just going a bit over the top?

OP its more the internet I'd say than TV & computer games. Plus, I think people have more control over their emotions now a days.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps people aren't too shocked when they see real life gore, because subconsciously they believe it to be fake or staged, due to all the gore in horror movies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    Yup. Most of my friends find it a little weird that I don't even flinch at things that make them cringe or feel queasy but I think i've seen so many gory images/videos (of both fictional and real life categories) that it would take something pretty disturbing to affect me. Gory movies generally just make me laugh if anything.
    The BME pain Olympics (even though it was a hoax) and One man One jar videos were fine for me. One man One screwdriver made me go "WTF???" a little but it most certainly didn't make me react the way some of the people in those youtube reaction videos do. To be honest though I think the majority of them act up for more views...

It's not necessarily what one is seeing though. I'm not like "eww blood", I can see someone fictionally getting their head cut off in a film, no problem. I can see blood and guts in real life at the vets. But it's a different story with "gore films". It's not the blood and the guts that's gonna turn my stomach, it's the fact that it's a video of another human being getting restrained and having their head cut off. Or whatever.

There's a difference, and it's so so sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Lol thats not true, your just weak. Lose sleep for weeks? Are you being serious or just going a bit over the top?

OP its more the internet I'd say than TV & computer games. Plus, I think people have more control over their emotions now a days.
    Weak? You're just acting into my first point, trying to act cool. Not being phased by seeing real life torture videos isn't "strong", and losing sleep over them "weak". If I see a real video of a person getting tortured to death, I will lose sleep. This is empathy, not weakness.

Oh wait, societies: WoW and anime. You're probably a gore site subscriber, again to look cool. Alot are. It won't compensate for the WoW sub though bud, sorry, you're still gonna struggle to look cool with that one hanging over you.

ReputationRep:
    There's a big difference between still images and the toned-down gore you get in films and more explicit stuff. I'm fine with gore in the sense of the various shock sites and the Saw films etc., but that one beheading video - I think it was in Russia? - is pretty grim. Disgust is a natural response so it would be pretty difficult not to be shocked by that if you experienced it in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Gory stuff doesn't really bother me. Goddamn internet shock sites and really really evil friends!

ReputationRep:
    Weak? You're just acting into my first point, trying to act cool. Not being phased by seeing real life torture videos isn't "strong", and losing sleep over them "weak". If I see a real video of a person getting tortured to death, I will lose sleep. This is empathy, not weakness.
    No it is weakness, and its pointless. I would agree with you if you saw it in real life, or on a live stream, but these things have happened so what is the point in feeling sadness. Your getting yourself worked up over nothing. What good will letting yourself be hurt by these images do? Lack of control comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Not really :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.