Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but it's definitely different in real life, when it's not contained behind a screen and instead being splattered across your face. Very different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Yes. The internet has done this to me.
    You are not desensitized to gore. Nobody in this thread is.

You may very well be desensitized to gore online, but if you were to see something barely resembling a human being lying on the road from a horrible traffic accident, you would most certainly be traumatized. Seeing pictures online does absolutely nothing for you in terms of lessening the psychological impact. The mind does not process images/videos in the same way it would if you saw such things in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    No it is weakness, and its pointless. I would agree with you if you saw it in real life, or on a live stream, but these things have happened so what is the point in feeling sadness. Your getting yourself worked up over nothing. What good will letting yourself be hurt by these images do? Lack of control comes to mind.
    Lack of control? If you would agree that it could cause lack of sleep if you saw it on a live stream, you must agree it's as bad to see a video of it having already happened in the past. There's little difference between it already have happened and it currently happening. What you're saying is like telling people they have lack of control and are weak for getting sad over the holocaust because it's in the past, but it's somehow completely different and acceptable to be sad about current war fatalities in the middle east. Now do you see how ridiculous your argument is, and how cold you are? Past or present, gore is gore.

I will also add, again, for the record, it's not the fact that it's "blood and guts", obviously this doesn't bother me, it's the principle that I can't watch videos of humans being tortured for real, without it playing on my mind afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm desensitised to internet gore, but not to real life gore... I was following a friend of mine's dad driving when he lost control of his car aquaplaning on a bend, he broke his wrist and there were bones sticking out of his arm... I was a lot more freaked out by that than by anything I've ever seen online, although I'm not someone who seeks out gore online.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely desensitized to anything shown on tv, in movies or online. I can watch the Saw movies without flinching or being repulsed(though the occasional part makes me wince, not because of the gore, but because it's just something that I don't like the look of. For example: the needle pit) and any operations shown on tv(real or fake) don't bother me. I haven't, however, seen anything particularly gory in real life so I can't say whether or not it would bother me up close.

ReputationRep:
    Totally. I've watched biopsies, hangings, even decapitations. Really doesn't affect me.

However I can't watch 2 girls 1 cup without being sick!

ReputationRep:
    yarp, not much bothers me now, gool ol' internets =]
    its really bad though because othert people are like EEEEW!!!! im like meh. at times i do think i should feel something but life's life eh?

ReputationRep:
    Hate gorey images whether on screen or for real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Lack of control? If you would agree that it could cause lack of sleep if you saw it on a live stream, you must agree it's as bad to see a video of it having already happened in the past. There's little difference between it already have happened and it currently happening. What you're saying is like telling people they have lack of control and are weak for getting sad over the holocaust because it's in the past, but it's somehow completely different to be sad about current war fatalities in Afghanistan. Now do you see how ridiculous your argument is, and how cold you are?

Lack of control, that really annoys me. Re-read your argument also bearing in mind what I've just said. Also re-read my above edited post.
    The only way I can describe it, and I'm sure its the same for many other people, is that I see videos online in the same way I see movies. I think Sithius explained what I'm trying to say quite well. They don't feel real to me, maybe this is a coping mechanism I don't know but that is the case.

I do think its a lack of control. Maybe I am cold, but I do see it as foolish to let yourself be affected by things that don't impact your life. I don't feel sad that people die in Afghanistan, of course I don't think its a good thing that people are dying, but I don't let it affect me. If my brother died, if someone close to the family died, I'm sure I would feel it, but not when its nothing to do with me. Can you imagine, with the spread of news now a days, how screwed up you would become if you let everything affect you.

As for your edit, I'm not subscribed to WOW at the moment and I don't visit any gore sites. The only videos i've seen are ones other people have linked me.

EDIT: I can't even make it feel real either. Even if I think these people are dying in real life, it has no effect. Have you actually tried watching a shocking video and seeing how it affects you? It's not the same as seeing something in real life. Even the smallest thing in real life will be worse than all the decapitations in the world (viewed online).
    EDIT2: I did used to view 4chan and 420chan a lot in the past, this may have something to do with it. Stuff is constantly linked on there. I do seem to remember the background to 420chan used to be someone with their head blown out for a while (that was a good few years ago now though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temporal)
    My friend showed me some gore website on his computer the other day, and I really wasn't that shocked. Some of the pictures/videos were horrific, but to my surprise, I (a) didn't turn away or feel utterly repulsed/sick, albeit a slight moment of thinking 'yuck' and (b) didn't feel much emotion.

Of course, I didn't like the pictures/videos.. but fascination got the best of me.

Am I alone in this?

Do you think that horror movies and video games have desensitised the younger generation? Isn't this a bad thing, doesn't it make us lose some of our humanity and empathy?
    I know what you mean, I can look at almost anything and be more fascinated than grossed out. However, what I cannot watch is people being put through pain - I don't mean jackass crap like papercuts and whipping I mean like torture pain - it's as if I can feel it and it makes me cringe and squirm.

Can happily watch autopsies though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    The only way I can describe it, and I'm sure its the same for many other people, is that I see videos online in the same way I see movies. I think Sithius explained what I'm trying to say quite well. They don't feel real to me, maybe this is a coping mechanism I don't know but that is the case.

I do think its a lack of control. Maybe I am cold, but I do see it as foolish to let yourself be affected by things that don't impact your life. I don't feel sad that people die in Afghanistan, of course I don't think its a good thing that people are dying, but I don't let it affect me. If my brother died, if someone close to the family died, I'm sure I would feel it, but not when its nothing to do with me. Can you imagine, with the spread of news now a days, how screwed up you would become if you let everything affect you.

As for your edit, I'm not subscribed to WOW at the moment and I don't visit any gore sites. The only videos i've seen are ones other people have linked me.
    I don't get upset by hearing about deaths in Afghanistan either, it's not directly linked to me and indeed if we knew everything which was happening in the world, we would be screwed up. My point was that people can still be affected by something even if it's happened in the past, and not be "weak". I agree that it's gonna be much worse in real life, yes, but I still find the principle of it disgusting even if I'm not there and It's just on a computer screen. It's still so much worse than watching any fictional film, imo.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, it probably started when me and my sister went to see The Little Mermaid at the pictures and accidentally walked into Scream 2.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get upset by hearing about deaths in Afghanistan either, it's not directly linked to me and indeed if we knew everything which was happening in the world, we would be screwed up. My point was that people can still be affected by something even if it's happened in the past, and not be "weak". I agree that it's gonna be much worse in real life, yes, but I still find the principle of it disgusting even if I'm not there and It's just on a computer screen. It's still so much worse than watching any fictional film, imo.
    What is the point in feeling empaphy for seeing someone die over the internet though? I don't see how it can possibly help you.

ReputationRep:
    I can cope with blood etc but seeing people breaking stuff makes me queasy still: http://www.break.com/index/arm-wrest...tes-elbow.html

Gahhhh

ReputationRep:
    I will also add, again, for the record, it's not the fact that it's "blood and guts", obviously this doesn't bother me, it's the principle that I can't watch videos of humans being tortured for real, without it playing on my mind afterwards.
    Call me a cold hearted ******* and think thats a negative, but I can only feel empathy for people I know and like, that I have some existing emotions towards. Yes, some things that go on in this world are for the persons they affect terrible, unfortunately they happen, always have happened, always will. However what happens to them doesnt directly affect me emotionally, I dont see the need to hide myself from tales of these, whether it be in the form of stories or videos or even experiencing first hand, i think of it as a learning experience, not something horrific i need to shy away from and let it affect me.

If you are affected by this so strongly, i might not label it weakness, but it certainly is being content to live in a bubble of, for lack of a better term, ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what pure blood and guts doesnt bother me but evil stuff ie dieing kids, animals getting hurt etc do upset me/annoy me

ReputationRep:
    Really depends

Films - not at all
    Pictures - not at all
    Real life pictures - not at all
    Real life videos - without the sound i'm fine, as soon as the sound is turned on it hits home

Nothing like hearing a guy in pain while getting his head cut off :afraid:

Torture (real) - can't watch it. I can watch a beheading video with the sound off but even with the sound off on a torture video i can't watch it because it's not a 5 second thing, it's a prolonged thing and the guy feels the pain. Don't need sound to "make it real" if you will

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say I cannot bear it. Just reviews of the Saw movies drive me mental for hours. When I see someone in pain (though it depends on the type of pain), whether real or staged, I cry, imagine myself in their shoes and want to help. This may be weak, but it's one of my personality traits I would not change.

I'm not being righteous. It does not matter who is being hurt. Whether it is a 60-year old villain or a small child, I will feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    I love gory films and stuff like that but show me a picture of people starving to death or hurt and i will have this feeling like sad i cant really describe bit for 3 days straight. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    You are not desensitized to gore. Nobody in this thread is.

You may very well be desensitized to gore online, but if you were to see something barely resembling a human being lying on the road from a horrible traffic accident, you would most certainly be traumatized. Seeing pictures online does absolutely nothing for you in terms of lessening the psychological impact. The mind does not process images/videos in the same way it would if you saw such things in real life.
    This, I would go as far as saying I am desensitized to gore online, but I have never witnessed it in real life to comment. Most people are used to seeing gore in games, movies etc, and online videos are often approached in the same manner. I've watched some videos, and I wasn't affected emotionally that much, probably because I'm watching it in the comfort of my own home, and in simple terms, it is a video, or an image, its harder for your mind to process that its actually real, also theirs always the doubt its fake.

If I were to witness these things in the flesh, I would probably be traumatized for life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.