Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fear of public speaking watch

Announcements

Help me!

As long as i can remember i have always been like this. Every time we had to do a speech, or presentation to the rest of the class, i would just turn red, shake, and forget what i was supposed to say.

Im starting an art course in september which involves presenting ideas and talking about them, expressing your opinions etc. I love art but the thought of doing this makes me feel sick already and im not even there yet.

Is anyone else like this? / used to be and have overcome it?

any advice would help. If there was anything i could change about myself it would be this, and i really dont want it getting in the way of doing well in my course/life!

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Here's a few tips

1. Be prepared. It may sound simple, but if you know what you are speaking about backwards and forwards, it greatly helps your self-confidence because you aren't unsure about the content of the speech. I'm not saying memorize, for many people that is way too time consuming and can make some people sound robotic, but whatever topic you are speaking on, make sure that you not only know it well, but that you feel like you know it well.

2. Before you start speaking, take a deep breath. It may sound a tad simple, but taking a brief moment to get used to the environment is very important and calming.

3. This is going to sound a bit counter-intuitive, but you have to legitly not care what the audience is thinking. Of course, you do care about what they think, but if you speak with the mindset of not caring whether people agree with you or not, it greatly increases your confidence, albiet briefly. This isn't to say act unprofessionally, quite the contrary. You have to be indifferent to a person's yawn or someone's attention span lapsing, confident that you are doing well and that is their loss if they aren't paying attention.

4. Find a song that pumps you up, that puts you in a "conquer the world" mindset and listen to it right before you speak. Essentially, get yourself on a confidence high before you begin speaking and let it carry you through the presentation.

5. Finally, and this may sound a bit silly, but: smile. A smiling person puts not only their audience but also themselves at ease. If you present yourself as confident and self-assured, your audience will pick up on that and instantly be more attentive and give you more credibility. Don't grin like an idiot of course haha, simply have a smile that conveys "don't worry, I have this all under control."

Hope this helps. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy losing face,

Don't shy, just try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LvStrong)
    Sure. Here's a few tips

1. Be prepared. It may sound simple, but if you know what you are speaking about backwards and forwards, it greatly helps your self-confidence because you aren't unsure about the content of the speech. I'm not saying memorize, for many people that is way too time consuming and can make some people sound robotic, but whatever topic you are speaking on, make sure that you not only know it well, but that you feel like you know it well.
    An excellent list, but this is seriously the single most important thing.
    If you know your stuff inside out then you don't really even need to remember your script word for word - you've got the safety of being able to blank out but still keep going based on your own knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I practiced by shouting King Lear naked outside my bedroom window every evening for two months. The ASBO is quite annoying but I'd say it was worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Practice.

I address about 100 people every day as a part of my job and chair formal meetings of anywhere between 10 and 20people a few times each week. I have spoken in front of 300 on one occasion (eulogy) It really is a bit of an art - some people enjoy it and are naturally good at it (I like to think that I'm one of them) while others are petrified at the thought. Wherever you are on that scale, practice makes perfect.

My tips are:

Know what you are going to say and spit it out. Not too fast but don't stutter and waffle like an idiot.

A bit of humor often goes down well. An opening off the cuff remark can break a lot of ice. Get the audience on your side.

It's OK to smile too!

Be bold - dogs and horses know when you are frightened - so does an audience.

Make sure you appear that you know what you are talking about even if you don't. Be authorative!

Eye contact - make it. This makes your head stay up and will project your voice rather than mumbling like a fool. Again, it also makes you seem authorative.

ReputationRep:
    try get a friend in the room, I had to do an EVIL presentation and was TERRIFIED but my friend sat at the back smilling and thumbs up-ing wich kinda hellped.

ReputationRep:
    i hate it too but thankfully somehow get through it ie my speech in year 7 to be a school councillor (got through every year from 7-11) :yy:

and my gcse english speaking (oral) exam, the speech was scary

just forget everyones there or imagine they are all naked :p:

ReputationRep:
    OP: Imagine yourself naked.

With an erection.

(Original post by foxo)
    I practiced by shouting King Lear naked outside my bedroom window every evening for two months. The ASBO is quite annoying but I'd say it was worth it in the end.
    Oh, you're that guy. I thought it was just one of Glasgow City Council's questionable cultural initiatives.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.