Turn on thread page Beta

Wth is this guy doing? watch

ReputationRep:

I found this a while ago...I mean like, that's not the right way to make someone get over a phobia! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    they might as well has muted the whole show.

ReputationRep:
    It's called flooding- exposing someone to their worst fear in the hope they realise it isn't so bad.

Obviously, it doesn't really work- the best thing to do is build it up gradually, making sure the person is happy with the smaller aspects e.g. the word chicken and build it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    It's called flooding- exposing someone to their worst fear in the hope they realise it isn't so bad.

Obviously, it doesn't really work- the best thing to do is build it up gradually, making sure the person is happy with the smaller aspects e.g. the word chicken and build it up.
    Very much so :yes:
    I remember they showed us a video in Psychology of someone getting over an acute fear of feathers and birds, by gradually being okay with a feather in the room, then a metre away, then in her hand etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)

This is such an intelligent answer. I will hug you for it :hugs:

I just found the video really sickening, because people have fears of all kinds of things, but unless it's heights or spiders, it seems it's always looked down upon.

I had a fear of dogs when I was younger...thankfully I've grown out of it through a gradual process of my sister's friend having a pet puppy that has grown into a dog

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.