Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how fierce is competition for postgraduate places on PhDs associated with psychology at the moment? Has anyone had any success in securing funding for their PhD in this area?

Is competition for postgrad places particularly fierce now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Exactly how fierce is competition for postgraduate places on PhDs associated with psychology at the moment? Has anyone had any success in securing funding for their PhD in this area?

Is competition for postgrad places particularly fierce now?
    Depends on the area within psychology I imagine. I've got a psych-related PhD lined up for September (visual processing-based), but then I'm coming in from a neuroscience angle so I didn't look at many PhDs that also fell within the area of psychology. I think the interview-stage for mine could only have included a handful of people because they devoted a lot of time to interviewing me (around 2 hours).

Main thing you're going to run into, I'm afraid, is that you're probably too late. I think I recall something about most research-council-funded projects needing to have selected students by the end of July. I'd take a look to find out for you but I'm on a little netbook atm, main computer has melted, and looking things up is a pita.

Ray of hope for you: Try emailing departments that do work in areas you're interested in. Ask them whether they have, or are likely to have, anything going. Some places might not have got funding confirmed yet or it's possible they may be able to point you in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioElectric)
    Depends on the area within psychology I imagine. I've got a psych-related PhD lined up for September (visual processing-based), but then I'm coming in from a neuroscience angle so I didn't look at many PhDs that also fell within the area of psychology. I think the interview-stage for mine could only have included a handful of people because they devoted a lot of time to interviewing me (around 2 hours).

Main thing you're going to run into, I'm afraid, is that you're probably too late. I think I recall something about most research-council-funded projects needing to have selected students by the end of July. I'd take a look to find out for you but I'm on a little netbook atm, main computer has melted, and looking things up is a pita.

Ray of hope for you: Try emailing departments that do work in areas you're interested in. Ask them whether they have, or are likely to have, anything going. Some places might not have got funding confirmed yet or it's possible they may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Ahhh, sorry I forgot to say I'm going into my third year soon and I just wanted to gauge whether competition has risen considerably. I'm interested in developmental science/psychopathology and I know next to nothing about how to apply for a PhD. Are you staying on at your university for your PhD, or did you apply elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Not coming from a psychology angle. However, I think in general the best way to reduce the competition is to find someone in your department who wants to supervise you and then get them to try and sort out a PhD for you. I would imagine trying to go to another University for an widly advertised post as an unknown would make things MUCH harder.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, sorry I forgot to say I'm going into my third year soon and I just wanted to gauge whether competition has risen considerably. I'm interested in developmental science/psychopathology and I know next to nothing about how to apply for a PhD. Are you staying on at your university for your PhD, or did you apply elsewhere?
    To get mine I just kept an eye out for studentships on jobs.ac.uk, then compiled a list of the titles I thought I wanted to do and applied for them. The process is pretty straightforward really, just get it sorted early if you can.

ReputationRep:
    I also kept an eye on jobs.ac.uk (was going to stay where I was otherwise) - worth setting up an RSS feed as some are only open for a short time.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies. Can I ask, at what point during my 3rd year should I apply for PhDs? I'm not sure because many adverts I've come across appear to require students who have already graduated. Is this generally the case?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies. Can I ask, at what point during my 3rd year should I apply for PhDs? I'm not sure because many adverts I've come across appear to require students who have already graduated. Is this generally the case?
    No. You can apply for PhDs before you've graduated. Make sure they are starting Sept '10 though as you don't want to accidentally apply for a PhD that starts before your undergraduate degree finishes.

ReputationRep:
    No. You can apply for PhDs before you've graduated. Make sure they are starting Sept '10 though as you don't want to accidentally apply for a PhD that starts before your undergraduate degree finishes.
    Thank you very much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I started working on getting the PhD sorted basicly from October of my final year. Alot of the deadlines for the better funding are up around Christmas/end of January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    I started working on getting the PhD sorted basicly from October of my final year. Alot of the deadlines for the better funding are up around Christmas/end of January.
    I was still seeing good, well-funded places until July. That's where there are another load of deadlines. Funding is awarded almost all-year-round so places will be popping up continuously.

What I'm essentially saying is don't panic if you've not found a place you want by the time QueenofCS suggested. It's worth keeping an eye on those places and going for them but don't feel pressured into applying for something that isn't what you absolutely want to do because, until July-ish, more things will be coming up.

Some PhDs will be available starting early '11 (less than sept '09, but there will be some!) so keep an eye out for those too.

ReputationRep:
    I was still seeing good, well-funded places until July. That's where there are another load of deadlines. Funding is awarded almost all-year-round so places will be popping up continuously.
    I didn't see those cause I wasn't looking anymore .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.