Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Aston website says you need to pay but doesn't specify how much.

Is the service different in Lakeside/Standard?

My searches have found people complaining about the net a few years back, has it improved?

Also, is it capped?

ReputationRep:
    It's contracted to to an external company called Keysurf. Here is the situation

Standard : Wireless - imagine the worst internet you've experienced and then couple that with somebody periodically switching it on and off.

Lakeside : Used to be just as bad as standard when I lived there in 2005. Apparently they laid down cables though. I'm guessing it's okay, however fact of the matter is that it's still Keysurf and I wouldn't believe it to be a reliable connection

Library, bottom floor of towers, main building : Wireless university connection, usually very fast and obviously reliable.

ReputationRep:
    I found this the other day: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...ic=9330&ref=mf

Third comment on that thread suggests that things are being improved, whether or not it's true is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    She is the new guild president, it's her job to say stuff like that. At the end of the day it's a shoddy company and wireless = horrific. I'd love them to prove me wrong though

ReputationRep:
    Oh, i didn't know who she was, that explains it! Let's hope it's not BS though.

ReputationRep:
    It's not quite as bad as it was. I was able to watch i Player and surf without too much of a problem and it wasn't too slow. I paid £18 a month but you could pay £24 for a higher speed connection. The only problem I had was that they often cut me off on the day the bill was due which was often a Sunday when they couldn't process anything. I know it went through a blip around exam time this year as well as my best friend said it took her 15 mins to load Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    It's not quite as bad as it was. I was able to watch i Player and surf without too much of a problem and it wasn't too slow.
    You were in cabled Lakeside though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    You were in cabled Lakeside though.
    True, I forgot to mention that. Sorry. Was trying to get ready for work!

ReputationRep:
    True, I forgot to mention that. Sorry. Was trying to get ready for work!
    I think I'd definitely go for Lakeside anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioElectric)
    I think I'd definitely go for Lakeside anyway.
    It's not guaranteed that you'd be placed there though, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougLTFC)
    It's not guaranteed that you'd be placed there though, unfortunately.
    Yeah, they've run out. Unite it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they've run out. Unite it is.
    Ignore what I said, just saw your other post! Hopefully you'll like Unite.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore what I said, just saw your other post! Hopefully you'll like Unite.
    Haha, unfortunately I didn't get chance to see it. Was it something along the lines of "Unite are ****, Lakeside is amazing and you'll have a much better time there"?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, unfortunately I didn't get chance to see it. Was it something along the lines of "Unite are ****, Lakeside is amazing and you'll have a much better time there"?
    Nope! I asked how you knew Lakeside was fully allocated as I didn't think anyone knew. I think Unite is reasonable enough

ReputationRep:
    do you think the internet in standard accomodation is fast enough for online gaming . i'd be dissapointed if i couldn't take my ps3 online.

ReputationRep:
    same question as D3M...is it fast enough to stream movies/music as well?

ReputationRep:
    Catergorically no on both counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    Catergorically no on both counts.
    Do you think it's a good idea to go for mobile broadband, or is it ok for general internet use? I'm gonna be peeved if it takes me 10 minutes to get onto wikipedia or some other website that i shouldn't really use for my essays but will anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougLTFC)
    Do you think it's a good idea to go for mobile broadband, or is it ok for general internet use? I'm gonna be peeved if it takes me 10 minutes to get onto wikipedia or some other website that i shouldn't really use for my essays but will anyway.
    I heard mobile broadband isn't too great either but I think it depends on who you're with and the reception. My sister says 3 is poo. I used my friend's 02 stick a few weeks ago though thinking it'd suck and it wasn't too slow.

ReputationRep:
    I heard mobile broadband isn't too great either but I think it depends on who you're with and the reception. My sister says 3 is poo. I used my friend's 02 stick a few weeks ago though thinking it'd suck and it wasn't too slow.
    I'll probably just try the Uni interwebs out when i get there and then see how bad it is for myself. Then if it is really, really bad i'll have to figure something else out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.