The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

DougLTFC
I'll probably just try the Uni interwebs out when i get there and then see how bad it is for myself. Then if it is really, really bad i'll have to figure something else out.

Sounds like a good idea. Keysurf never gave me any quibble when I cancelled the contract at the end of the year so I think if you didn't get on with it it'd be ok. The net in the MB/library is alright though.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 21
hannah_dru
Sounds like a good idea. Keysurf never gave me any quibble when I cancelled the contract at the end of the year so I think if you didn't get on with it it'd be ok. The net in the MB/library is alright though.

Wasn't it simply a year contract ?
DougLTFC
Do you think it's a good idea to go for mobile broadband, or is it ok for general internet use? I'm gonna be peeved if it takes me 10 minutes to get onto wikipedia or some other website that i shouldn't really use for my essays but will anyway.

I think mobile internet is variable, probably not good enough to play games, especially if you need it fast for long periods of time. Keysurf sometimes was fine for just general web browsing, other times was dead slow (peak times) or would just stop/disconnect all together. All the experience I have had with mobile broadband has been fine for general web browsing and occasional streaming, but I doubt very much it could do much more, it simply wasn't designed for game playing or large downloads.
Reply 23
FireDeuce
I think mobile internet is variable, probably not good enough to play games, especially if you need it fast for long periods of time. Keysurf sometimes was fine for just general web browsing, other times was dead slow (peak times) or would just stop/disconnect all together. All the experience I have had with mobile broadband has been fine for general web browsing and occasional streaming, but I doubt very much it could do much more, it simply wasn't designed for game playing or large downloads.

I don't think i constructed my first sentence very well, but you've answered my question anyway, thanks! I don't need it for gaming etc, i just want a decent speed for general use so i don't have to wait hours to find the material i need for assignments and what not.

Thanks again!
Smtn
Wasn't it simply a year contract ?

Yeah but I think I did it earlier than that. Don't really remember tbh. I imagine they're probably used to students calling up to say "I'm cancelling cos your service is rubbish."

I think with some mobile broadband you get download limits. My sister can't use msn or skype on 3 for example.
Reply 25
DougLTFC
I don't think i constructed my first sentence very well, but you've answered my question anyway, thanks! I don't need it for gaming etc, i just want a decent speed for general use so i don't have to wait hours to find the material i need for assignments and what not.

Thanks again!

My friend used T-mobile in stafford this year (floor 20) and it was generally fine. Sometimes he had to go downstairs to the common room to stream, other than that it was okay for his needs as a final year
DougLTFC

Thanks again!

Someone above you did so I thought I'd answer everyone :tongue:

If all else fails you do have the library/tv lounge, nice fast internet there, will be able to download from bbc iplay/4od to watch in your room most programs in less than 15mins.
Reply 27
I'm getting basic accomodation , I'm really worried about not being able to play my PS3 online. I'm waking up in cold sweats and everything .
Reply 28
D3M!
I'm getting basic accomodation , I'm really worried about not being able to play my PS3 online. I'm waking up in cold sweats and everything .

No chance
Reply 29
£18 a month did I read? Wtf!
Reply 30
Smtn
No chance

Oh well It'll prolly do me some good whilst all my friends are playing the new modern warfare online :frown:
Reply 31
D3M!
Oh well It'll prolly do me some good whilst all my friends are playing the new modern warfare online :frown:

I'm sure you'll survive my friend.
Reply 32
DougLTFC
I'm sure you'll survive my friend.

it's all uphill after you go cold turkey I guess :smile:
Reply 33
D3M!
it's all uphill after you go cold turkey I guess :smile:

I heard it's actually 42 times worse than coming off of Heroin. It's gonna be bad my man, but it's not impossible. Make the most of broadband at home whilst you still can.
Reply 34
I just don't understand how a university can't offer good internet to students...my previous uni in the States offered a T3 connection in all dorms at no additional cost, and high-speed wireless everywhere else, so I guess I was spoiled.

D3M, you're not alone in having to go cold turkey from online gaming :frown:
Reply 35
I don't get it either , takes the utmost piss!!! I don't want internet gaming but if the internet is ****, then wtf??? Shocking.
It's not the uni's fault guys, it's Keysurf! The uni have been trying since I started to get out of the contract and change to Bt Open Zone but they can't (at least that's what I heard 2 years ago anyway).
hannah_dru
It's not the uni's fault guys, it's Keysurf! The uni have been trying since I started to get out of the contract and change to Bt Open Zone but they can't (at least that's what I heard 2 years ago anyway).

Bloody hell, how long must that contract be? Must be an interesting relationship between the university and Keysurf if there's been disagreement for that long.
RadioElectric
Bloody hell, how long must that contract be? Must be an interesting relationship between the university and Keysurf if there's been disagreement for that long.

I know! Definitely. I know that students have been complaining for quite a few years but it's not as bad as it was (we got given statistics and pie charts showing the number of unsatisfied people and people who complained etc).
Reply 39
Good news guys.
They have a new provider for on-campus accom this year starting for freshers week 09', so I am sure it will be an improvement (lets face it I think its impssible not to be)

Latest