Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    did you watch luton at all tonight doug?
    I did indeed. If you're going to ask about Donnelly, it seemed that when he came on we stopped attacking and i think he only had 3 touches at the most.

If you weren't going to ask about him then excuse my rambling! :o:

ReputationRep:
    ye I was going to ask about him lol. only was on for 9 minutes though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    ye I was going to ask about him lol. only was on for 9 minutes though!
    Yea, when we signed him everyone thought he was a replacement target man as your site and ours said he was 6ft 2", he's only about 5ft 9" ain't he!? I hope he gets a few more minutes under his belt it'd be good just to see a bit more of him!

ReputationRep:
    ye i heard about that too, he's about 5'9 as you say. does he look any good? supposed to be lightning quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    ye i heard about that too, he's about 5'9 as you say. does he look any good? supposed to be lightning quick
    He looks like if he had more time on the pitch then he could cause a lot of trouble, but the way Gallen and Craddock played tonight i can't see him starting unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougLTFC)
    Just to clarify. So i can get a tv card for my laptop and use it without getting fined, just as long as i don't plug the charger in at the same time?
    Unfortunately its not that simple...

Legally speaking - yes you should be fine, unless the law interprets the built in aerial as an "external device" , which is entirely possible.

But...practically speaking, you'll be fine. Unless all of the below happen:

a) The inspectors decide (for some reason) they want to inspect your situation
    b) The university grants them access to your flat
    c) You let them into the room
    d) You let them inspect the laptop

If you never let them in and refuse to speak to them they will presume you are guilty, but have ZERO proof to go on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snaude)
    Unfortunately its not that simple...

Legally speaking - yes you should be fine, unless the law interprets the built in aerial as an "external device" , which is entirely possible.

But...practically speaking, you'll be fine. Unless all of the below happen:

a) The inspectors decide (for some reason) they want to inspect your situation
    b) The university grants them access to your flat
    c) You let them into the room
    d) You let them inspect the laptop

If you never let them in and refuse to speak to them they will presume you are guilty, but have ZERO proof to go on...
    precisely perfect

if anything, it's better to have a usb/expresscard tv tuner and use it with windows media centre, that way you can argue the drivers are there because you only use it at home or when travelling - if you use the iptv that's provided then your use is logged by the provider and you've got to install software on your pc, which pretty much gives it away instantly

ReputationRep:
    Someone plz pplz PLEASE tell me that theres some way I can do online gaming on PS3. Even if its getting internet outside of the Uni. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THERES A WAY I CAN PLAY PS3 ONLINE!

quote me cause I dont visit this section much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Someone plz pplz PLEASE tell me that theres some way I can do online gaming on PS3. Even if its getting internet outside of the Uni. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THERES A WAY I CAN PLAY PS3 ONLINE!

quote me cause I dont visit this section much.
    no chance. Should have used Curzon Gateway if you want a reliable 2mbit connection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    no chance. Should have used Curzon Gateway if you want a reliable 2mbit connection
    Curzon gateway whats that? I'll do anything to be able to go onlie on ps3

ReputationRep:
    Curzon gateway whats that? I'll do anything to be able to go onlie on ps3
    private accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    private accommodation
    hhmmm although I've heard its possible to connect to internet on ps3 using mobile broadband... this is allowed in the Uni right?

ReputationRep:
    hhmmm although I've heard its possible to connect to internet on ps3 using mobile broadband... this is allowed in the Uni right?
    Yeah you can get mobile broadband as they were telling us to use it as an alternative to Keysurf when I was with them. I've heard that the signal isn't always very strong though and some don't allow for things like Skype or games. Best going in a shop and asking.

ReputationRep:
    lol connecting a ps3 to mobile BB you must be joking.....do you know much off your usage that will use? have you thought about the latency...??!? to be honest with you I stayed in the Heights last year and the internet was meant to be 1mb but was around 400-500k for most of the year. Also p2p is blocked and online gaming at halls unless you pay extra. Although for about a week i was getting 50-60mb at halls....then it went back 2 512k

ReputationRep:
    Won't be anywhere near good enough for gaming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Won't be anywhere near good enough for gaming
    I've heard its not that bad, if you use a reallyl fast one .

Someone also said 50 hours of gaming used up around 500mb, wish i knew about the private accomodation earlier though...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard its not that bad, if you use a reallyl fast one .

Someone also said 50 hours of gaming used up around 500mb, wish i knew about the private accomodation earlier though...
    Wireless broadband is not suited to gaming, especially through a 3G usb dongle trying to connect with the nearest mobile phone signal. It isn't an issue of speed, it's an issue of latency and reliability (connection loss/packet loss)

Imagine trying to eat soup with a fork, then you're getting close to how frustrating your experience is going to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Wireless broadband is not suited to gaming, especially through a 3G usb dongle trying to connect with the nearest mobile phone signal. It isn't an issue of speed, it's an issue of latency and reliability (connection loss/packet loss)

Imagine trying to eat soup with a fork, then you're getting close to how frustrating your experience is going to be
    Yeah I've heard theres two ways to overcome this.

1 - use mobile on laptop/pc, and go to network connections and open it, then connect ps3 to laptop via ethernet cable. That should work.

2- installing linux on ps3 etc

ReputationRep:

1 - use mobile on laptop/pc, and go to network connections and open it, then connect ps3 to laptop via ethernet cable. That should work.

There is no way to overcome it. When taking my previous example, the suggestions you have are akin to

1. making your mouth bigger

2. making the fork bigger

They aren't addressing the actual problem itself (the design of the fork)

ReputationRep:

Can you really not live without your PS3 for a little while? Are you that addicted?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.