Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Well that Internet does sound pretty *****.
    seconded. they can hardly call it broadband...even bt is better than that sounds...

ReputationRep:
    I lived on Campus in my first year and the internet was shocking, the switch to the 'new and improved' wireless isn't really bringing me any hope.

I remember though that in Dalton tower (and around all the residences) you could get BT Openzone, with very good signal strength. I always thought this would be quite an expensive option, but I've just been looking on the BT Openzone site, and according to the price plan its £12.50 (exluding vat) per month for unlimited useage of the Wireless network. Link: http://www.btopenzone.com/buy/subscription.jsp

Has anyone got any experience with this?

I remember I paid a one off fee of £3 for 30 minutes access one time in my first year as I had a project due but the University internet was down, but I can't remember exactly what speed it was. I'm sure it was at least 512k, but can't find a figure on the site. Anyone know?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allydm)
    I lived on Campus in my first year and the internet was shocking, the switch to the 'new and improved' wireless isn't really bringing me any hope.

I remember though that in Dalton tower (and around all the residences) you could get BT Openzone, with very good signal strength. I always thought this would be quite an expensive option, but I've just been looking on the BT Openzone site, and according to the price plan its £12.50 (exluding vat) per month for unlimited useage of the Wireless network. Link: http://www.btopenzone.com/buy/subscription.jsp

Has anyone got any experience with this?

I remember I paid a one off fee of £3 for 30 minutes access one time in my first year as I had a project due but the University internet was down, but I can't remember exactly what speed it was. I'm sure it was at least 512k, but can't find a figure on the site. Anyone know?

Thanks!
    Openzone is not really that much better than the keycom one was, it's very slow and it's limited as to what you can do.

It's better just to get mobile broadband to be honest but nobody knows what the new service provider are like yet

Last year the speed options were:
    Standard: 256Kb/s, 512Kb/s, 1Mb/s
    Lakeside: 2Mb/s, 4Mb/s, 8Mb/s

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping if it's not good enough that they could change again with enough complaints but then it depends on how long the contract is. At least I have another year to go I suppose before I'll be stuck with it but I hope it is ok for everyone else until then.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Andrew, I'm probably mis-remembering the speed with Openzone, although compared to Keycom dial up woiuld have seemed to be light speed lol.

I'll wait until I move in and see exactly what this new wireless is like, but as I said previously I'm not that hopeful.

For those into their Gaming, 5 minutes up corporation street there is (or at least their was) a place called Omega Sector (maybe Sektor). Its a Gaming Internet Cafe type thing, where you can either use one of their PC's / PS3's / Wii's, or bring your own laptop etc. They did really good memberships for students during my first year and its probably same kind of price now. Its worth checking out.

ReputationRep:
    can you use skype (from your bedroom)? i don´t think i´ll download anything or wach tv but i really need skype :/

ReputationRep:
    No one knows yet because we haven't tried it. If that site is correct then possibly not. You can get a Skype mobile phone from 3 however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougLTFC)
    Didn't Forest lose to Ipswich the other night? You should breeze past them shouldn't you? I just really want Luton to get through to the third round of the FA Cup and get Villa at Villa Park, nice easy trip to get to that one!
    But won't you be at home for the xmas holidays then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons)
    But won't you be at home for the xmas holidays then?
    Fourth round then, after knocking your lot out in the third!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougLTFC)
    Fourth round then, after knocking your lot out in the third!
    In your dreams :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    No one knows yet because we haven't tried it. If that site is correct then possibly not. You can get a Skype mobile phone from 3 however.
    As Hannah says...but if you can't, I've got a whole load of 3 SIMs that I need to get rid of and they give you free skype calls even if you've never topped up

ReputationRep:
    i've got skype on my phone, but i'm not good with all these techno gadgets, does it work well on the phone?

ReputationRep:
    at aston, can you pay for just one months internet, to try it out? without being tied down by a contract...

ReputationRep:
    My mum has a skype phone which she uses to call me in Germany. She's not really had any problems other than it uses up a lot of battery and the signal isn't always great so I break up. But she thinks its pretty good and I'm gonna get one when I come back I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperdreams.honey)
    at aston, can you pay for just one months internet, to try it out? without being tied down by a contract...
    You could pay monthly with Keysurf, so I assume you could cancel fairly easily.

However, no-one knows with the new company. Who sound strangely like keycom anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    i've got skype on my phone, but i'm not good with all these techno gadgets, does it work well on the phone?
    On 3 their skype implementation actually uses the voice network, as if you were making a free voice call, and so it's absolutely fantastic quality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allydm)
    Thanks Andrew, I'm probably mis-remembering the speed with Openzone, although compared to Keycom dial up woiuld have seemed to be light speed lol.

I'll wait until I move in and see exactly what this new wireless is like, but as I said previously I'm not that hopeful.

For those into their Gaming, 5 minutes up corporation street there is (or at least their was) a place called Omega Sector (maybe Sektor). Its a Gaming Internet Cafe type thing, where you can either use one of their PC's / PS3's / Wii's, or bring your own laptop etc. They did really good memberships for students during my first year and its probably same kind of price now. Its worth checking out.
    This has shut now... but maybe not permanently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Sektor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillipies)
    This has shut now... but maybe not permanently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Sektor
    I thought it had - to be honest, I had no idea how you could tell if it was open, it always looked shut to me

ReputationRep:
    Eh that sucks, it was a cool place to chill :\

ReputationRep:
    I've just got to Canalside, and it seems we have studentcom too, so hopefully that's a good sign for Astoners?!

University open days

1. Aston University
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.