Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether both grades attained for the dual award are always the same, as everyone I've come across always seem to have a double result (e.g - Double BB, Two A's, whatever)
    Does anyone know whether this is always the case when it comes to dual awards?

:s

ReputationRep:
    They can be different

ReputationRep:
    are we talking gcse? a-levels??

ReputationRep:
    sorryy! I meant GCSE! (:

ReputationRep:
    They can only be awarded as the same, you could get an A* in core science and an A in additional and it would be either A*A* or AA, im not sure how they are worked out. But it can't be A*A

ReputationRep:
    always the same it work out so a A* in one subject can pull a B up to AA etc

ReputationRep:
    No, as they've all said. Because it's not really 'double science', it's core science GCSE and additional science GCSE - you're sitting seperate exams for each I've got different grades in each, doing AQA too. If you're still worried talk to your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    You CAN get different grades in core and additional. Just like I got AB in my dual award english GCSE, it's the same principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura373)
    You CAN get different grades in core and additional. Just like I got AB in my dual award english GCSE, it's the same principle.
    With AQA double award they only give grades based on the 8 point scale of A*A* AA BB CC DD etc... They do not mix grades unlike edxcel with their English double award which can be A*A AB BC etc. I was told this by my science teacher who told me if I don't get A* in additional it will pull down my whole grade to AA (which is probably going to happen)

ReputationRep:
    It's not double award though, the GCSEs are separate things.

ReputationRep:
    If you're on about AQA Core and Additional Science, then those are two separate qualifications, and the grades aren't interdependent on one other, so it's entirely possible to get different grades. I have no idea about an actual double award though (although I'd imagine they'd have to be the same)

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in science in yr10, then an A* in additional the following year, so I'm guessing you can get different

ReputationRep:
    Now, they're different grades. Back when I did it, you got two grades of the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused now, I've done double science at school and it was aqa core and aqa additional science, my teacher was telling me I have to get the same grades as they can't be different. My school's weird :s Aqa doesn't have two seperate specifications for double award and core and additional? Aren't double awards made up of core and additional?

ReputationRep:
    you get two separate GCSEs - GCSE Core Science and GCSE Additional Science. your school lied unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    that's strange...when i did double award you still did separate chem bio and physics papers there was just a bit less to learn and then you got a double grade, which had to be the same 2 grades
    I guess it's changed now though O.o how odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    that's strange...when i did double award you still did separate chem bio and physics papers there was just a bit less to learn and then you got a double grade, which had to be the same 2 grades
    I guess it's changed now though O.o how odd
    Yeah this is what I was doing, bio chem physics papers for core and the same for additional. I'm confused now if I will be getting awarded to same grades or two different qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Other people in my year are doing the corresponding Edexcel course. Different people have been told different things... it seems there is confusion all round - some teachers believe you can only get two of the same grade while others think otherwise.

I just think I'm lucky I'm doing separate sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    Yeah this is what I was doing, bio chem physics papers for core and the same for additional. I'm confused now if I will be getting awarded to same grades or two different qualifications.
    you've already got your core science grade right?
    that can't change - it's guaranteed whatever you get in additional. in the old scheme it was 'dual award science', but that's changed since to core and additional.
    one of my friends got a B in core and a D in additional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura373)
    you've already got your core science grade right?
    that can't change - it's guaranteed whatever you get in additional. in the old scheme it was 'dual award science', but that's changed since to core and additional.
    one of my friends got a B in core and a D in additional.
    Yeah I've already got an A* in core, I had a feeling that my additional grade would drag down the A*, but they are seperate right? Thanks for clearing this up my school does not know how to advise students properly.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.