Turn on thread page Beta

where do you begin to describe the UK...? watch

ReputationRep:
    So my brother recently got back from Ghana, loved it etc. and our cousin asked him 'so what's the UK like?'

and i thought to myself...where do you begin?!

I immediately thought of:

fashion
    binge drinking
    politeness/orderly
    education
    NHS
    knife crime
    multi cultural society

what comes to your head? good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and the weather ofc

ReputationRep:
    Weather, NHS, War

ReputationRep:
    benefits, corrupt government, weather.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Fish and chips, tea, roast dinners, breakfast, real ale, football, cricket, rugby, scones etc.

Then you got the politics: free education and NHS as you said, plus we have a rather lovely Queen and a rather longing will to cling to the Empire, as exhibited by Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and the Falklands to name three.

People, especially Americans say it rains a lot here, but it's stop-start. It doesn't rain as often in other places but when it does rain it doesn't stop (as I experienced in New York much to my disappointment).

And good old British humour..

ReputationRep:
    4 letter word. Starts with 's' ends with 't'.

ReputationRep:
    government, nhs, poland (poles), fish and chips, roast dinner, poland (poles), pie and mash, poland (poles)

ReputationRep:
    Like a parent, you hate what it does to you, but you love it all the same.

ReputationRep:
    Weather and moaning.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start with weather, talk about London and compare it with other big cities in the UK and talk about the smaller towns and little villages, I'd talk about tourism, I'd talk about the people and immigration, I'd talk about food, I'd talk about common past-times and sport, I'd talk about education, I'd talk about public facilities, I'd talk about religion and I'd talk about stereotypes and the reality/falseness of them.

I'd talk with a smile on my face, mostly.

ReputationRep:
    1) Currently has a government that's obsessed with eroding civil liberties.
    2) Has far too many speed cameras and parking wardens

ReputationRep:
    1) This current Labour government who are so persistant on eroding liberties and destroying themself at the same time,

2) The majority of the population who are not bothered about politics in the slightest and are so passive when their liberties are being eroded,

3) The rise of extremist parties such as the BNP,

4) Knife crime and the rise of the 'chav',

5) Binge drinking culture,

6) The Daily Mail which spouts rubbish and the people seem to eat it all up and pass it on as if it is the truth,

7) CCTV and speeding camera's everywhere,

I'm sure they'd give a pretty accurate picture of the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)

And good old British humour..
    ofc! def the british sense of humour. its quite something...you def quite converse with the americans in the same way...i tried that a few years ago-fail :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    1) This current Labour government who are so persistant on eroding liberties and destroying themself at the same time,

2) The majority of the population who are not bothered about politics in the slightest and are so passive when their liberties are being eroded,

3) The rise of extremist parties such as the BNP,

4) Knife crime and the rise of the 'chav',

5) Binge drinking culture,

6) The Daily Mail which spouts rubbish and the people seem to eat it all up and pass it on as if it is the truth,

7) CCTV and speeding camera's everywhere,

I'm sure they'd give a pretty accurate picture of the UK
    Judging by 1), 6) seems to be very true indeed :awesome:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    4 letter word. Starts with 's' ends with 't'.
    The word he is trying to say is....

Salt

ReputationRep:
    travel-red busses
    women- no black hair mainly blonde
    healthcare- MRSA

ReputationRep:
    RACISM, RACISM AND MORE RACISM!!! lovely!

ReputationRep:
    one of the best flags in the world, but also one of the worst national anthems.

ReputationRep:
    as a nation, we seem to be quickly loosing all of our good traits, if it is as bad as the media portrays. Ive noticed the difference in the kids on the streets these days, from when i was there, not even that long ago. Im a decent size, and can handle myself if it ever called for it, im 21, and feel intimidated walking past the gang of youths on my road.

If it is the media miss portraying it, then maybe they need to start showing some of the good people.

Apart from that rant, haha the music scene is immense, something for everyone, and the amount of sport were holding in the next 10 years is massive, ive always wanted to go to the Olympics, or the possible world cup, but ones coming here for definite

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.